Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt's system
Sorry I can't post a photo as yet. Words will have to suffice.

Mac mini/JRiver, controlled with JRemote on iPad, via ethernet

Devialet 200

Martin Logan Montis

Smile

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(29-May-2014, 01:32)Jwg1749 Wrote: Sorry I can't post a photo as yet. Words will have to suffice.

Mac mini/JRiver, controlled with JRemote on iPad, via ethernet

Devialet 200

Martin Logan Montis

Smile

Matt

Brilliant can't wait to see the pics! Can you be a bit more specific re which cables you are using?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cables: due for upgrade
Sablon Petit Corona mains cable to Devialet (I was given this free)
Matt
(29-May-2014, 10:04)GuillaumeB Wrote: Brilliant can't wait to see the pics! Can you be a bit more specific re which cables you are using?

Guillaume

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
London
Wow, haven’t been here for a loooong time. I spent much of the summer and autumn moving house. I’ve had little time to think about my system, and in any case it’s all been in a state of flux because of moving into a very different space. Things are now becoming clearer.

The idea is to have two systems. I work at home for at least half the year, and I have a nice study/library, about 4 x 4.5m. It’s important to me to have this private space where I can escape from the family to read and write. And I need music there, mainly for background listening, but also to energize me when my mental energy is waning.

Downstairs there’s a nice living room, 5.25 x 5.25m. There’ll be no TV: just sofas and hi-fi. This is where the main system will be: for use in the evening for relaxation and having fun with friends.

I tend to choose speakers first and then “backfill” the system from there. I’m also a cheapskate. That's why I have two pairs of speakers bought second hand: Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms and Martin Logan Montis. The Montis are destined for the big living room downstairs, obviously. Martin Logans, driven properly, are a thing of wonder and beauty, and visiting friends are always gobsmacked and excited.

The other given is my Devialet 200. I originally bought it to drive the Cremonas, which it does beautifully, and now even more so with SAM. But last year (before we moved house) I splashed out on the Montis, thinking I’d sell the Cremonas.

So now I have the Cremonas, the Montis and the 200. And two rooms. And where do I go from here?

I think I have three options:

1. SFs with D200, and Montis with new amp
2. Montis with D200, and SFs with new amp
3. Montis with D400 (expensive upgrade!), and SFs with new amp

Any thoughts?

London
[quote='Jwg1749' pid='6507' dateline='1417736062']

I’m also a cheapskate. That's why I have two pairs of speakers bought second hand: Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms and Martin Logan Montis.

Being a cheapskate is one way of looking at it. The way I see it you're just getting better quality gear for your budget. That's smart, not cheap. I could have bought new B&W 805's but went for second hand Dynaudio C1's for similar money instead. Would I not have been a cheapskate had I bought the 805's?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yes, you're right, buying second hand is smart. The only big piece of hi-fi kit I've ever bought new was the D200. And it hurt!

London
If you like the Devialet way of doing things, and sound quality, would it be worth trying a 120 with the Cremonas? That would be the "path of least resistance" if I were in your position, I think.

Weren't you also going to do a shoot-out between a 400 and another purpose-designed amp driving the Montis?

Will be fascinated to hear what you decide...

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for your suggestions, Ian. Pairing the SFs with a 120 would make good sense -- assuming the shoot-out between the 400 (I currently have a 200 slave on loan) and the Sanders Magtech goes in favour of the 400. If the Magtech wins, my 200 will stay with the Cremonas.

You remembered correctly: that shoot-out is currently taking place. Very interesting. Will report back later today.

Matt

London
Look forward to your views on the 200 v Magtech Smile
(05-Dec-2014, 11:39)Jwg1749 Wrote: You remembered correctly: that shoot-out is currently taking place. Very interesting. Will report back later today.

Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

The other option to consider I suppose, is to sell your Cremonas and buy the Phantom for the study! Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK