Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any weekend tweaks?
I'm on a project-free weekend of serious listening pleasure and therefore have to rely on living vicariously through those of you perhaps considering breaking out a T10 driver or other shallower digging tool(s) this weekend. Surely someone must have an upcoming weekend project or two to help me along? If no one helps I'll be forced to conjure another before it's time. Surely you can't want that... another endless stream of me, me, me/blah, blah, blah posts! He's serious folks, don't test him on this!! C'mon, spill... times a'wastin!

;-)
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Manoet this isnt a weekend tweak but i have been looking at these http://avisolation.com/nimbus-system/ to add to my system.

i dont know if you are on the computeraudiophile forums but there is currently a big discussion about equipment isolation going on. its mainly about using bicycle tyres and aluminium cup/alloy ball configurations to damp the internal/external vibrations however those cup/balls can be really expensive

this company makes REALLY expensive racks so being real basic here but they know what they are doing. however those feet that on that page that i posted sell for $55 AUD each which is cheaper than the cup/ball and being a company in the know im going to guess that they have something here. so 3 of those feet per component is the go.

you can look at the damping plates to put on the component as well but those are a tad more expensive.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
ohhh i also found out that one of my audio distributors already has WBT so ill be changing over the speaker terminals soon enough Smile
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(24-Jul-2015, 21:17)Manoet Wrote: I'm on a project-free weekend of serious listening pleasure and therefore have to rely on living vicariously through those of you perhaps considering breaking out a T10 driver or other shallower digging tool(s) this weekend. Surely someone must have an upcoming weekend project or two to help me along? If no one helps I'll be forced to conjure another before it's time. Surely you can't want that... another endless stream of me, me, me/blah, blah, blah posts! He's serious folks, don't test him on this!! C'mon, spill... times a'wastin!

;-)

Well, I have an electric reclining chair in my listening position and a range of Malt Whiskies, so my project for the weekend is to experiment with different reclining  positions and Whiskies to see which combination produces the best sound  Big Grin. No sod...g about, just enjoy the music  Smile.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Clearly I've missed the point of having a tidy, all-in-one box. I've been a tweak-free zone pretty much since I bought my D120. That said, I've swapped between the various speakers that I have in the living room, but have stayed with the GamuT Phi 5 Mk II. I did get some new speaker cable a while ago, but I haven't fussed with it since then. I suppose I could finally consider moving from FW 7.1.1 to 7.1.3..... Honestly, I hardly dare take the back cover off the thing. I doubt I'd go near it with anything sharper than a micro fibre cloth.

I have a comfy Italian leather chair, unpowered, and a range of Pinot Noir, so I could try slouching vs sitting attentively, or do blind tests with stemware vs tumblers.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
The missus reckons we should try Amarula and work out the influence of our 'bass trap' teddy bears in the corners behind the speakers.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
well the alcohol tweak seems popular on here this weekend!
(25-Jul-2015, 01:22)completeluxury Wrote: well the alcohol tweak seems popular on here this weekend!

By and large, with enough alcohol, things sound amazing, and that is without fondling the Torx driver that M mentioned originally. I'd just posit that a tasteful beverage is a part of a balanced, elegant lifestyle, which is, of course, founded on elegant hi-fi components, artfully arranged in one's living or listening room. Ahem.

I'll recommend the Amarula to Pim, though I'm a bit concerned about the teddy bears. Perhaps they are 'bear traps' in this application.... maybe that joke is a bit more relevant in Canada than Australia. I was, of course, assuming 'Grizzly' rather than 'Koala'.

Please insert smilies wherever appropriate. But I was semi-serious about 7.1.3. A Torx-free tweak.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
While I envy many of the lethargic weekend activities being pursued here; electric chair rides, single malts & Amarula (esp with a splash of Frangelico in coffee) and dabbling in 7.1.3, I'm again compelled to reach for the T10 and a battery operated toy... no, not "that" kinda toy! There's a plate, shaped into a shallow pan of unknown metallurgy about 5" X 7" attached to the inside of the removable cover between viewing windows that I need/want to understand better. It bothered me on discovery and hasn't let up since. Looks out-of-place, cheaply formed and very much an afterthought. Drives me crazy to see all of that precision CNC'd goodness and small custom made housings with integrated heatsinks slathered around inside with a VERY out-of-place looking black-painted piece of thin, hand-formed HVAC sheet metal shaped into a shallow pan with concave backside attached to the inside of the black cover... like a (dare I say it?) shallow drip pan. Yeah, crazy I know! S'why I want another look! Intuitively I thought 'cover' of sorts but for what exactly... errant EMI/RFI, radiant heat etc and why so home-made/DIY and out-of-place looking? And there were two, separated by 15-20mm 'oily' spots in the bottom of it (spooky huh?)... as if some oily substance had dripped into it from above... but what and from where!?! And what's gonna catch that oily substance now that its wall-mounted? See why I HAVE to go back inside? (Rationalization is a wonderful thing!) Takes less time than a bowl of cereal to get in & out of the case if I'm less curious or adversely affected by it today. It's all just too weird to ignore and this time I'll do a much better job of high-res internal topography pics of internal top & bottom so I don't have to rely on rote memory next time something like this comes up after the fact.

If I don't turn this into a project I'll be back to music as fast as you can say Frosted Flakes with toast.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
I know a possible tweak! Smile Haven't tried it myself yet though and it involves opening the Devialet: EMI absorption.

As we all know there are a lot of powerful "computers" and their noisy clocks inside the Devialets and these all emit RFI/EMI into the circuits surrounding them.

Using EMI absorption materials like those of 3M we should be able to lower these emissions. Of course I don't know if it'll help performance forward but it's done quite a lot in the PC based music server scene, DIY DAC's etc.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en...4973&rt=r3

The material that seems to be popular is the AB5100S. Mind you this stuff isn't cheap! Smile

PS. A similar material that is/used to be quite popular was ERS Stillcloth but as this is conductive I wouldn't use it inside the Devialet!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands