Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The BIG weekend tweak!
    The 'tooth' on this adhesive is likely rated 50-75lbs per sq inch. Which means there's enough inside to hold over 2,500lbs. Just crazy to use this much of this product on something that may need warranty work down the road. Oh well its days are numbered around here. I just need to duplicate its sizes and shapes out of single-sided material to have around for reassembly. Here you can see how that piece of glass I found so worrisome is really a piece-o-cake.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
    Next up is the top side of the primary PCB. The surface you see when you remove the lower cover minus all the 2nd story PCB's that sit above it when fully assembled. More on those tomorrow.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
    Last pic for the evening is the flip-side of the Primary PCB. Here you can see where this PCB had to be sheared away from the adhesive tape below it under some serious GRUNT! There's more of that tape used in some other parts we'll cover tomorrow. You guys are gonna love my more sensible approach product for replacing that when you see it!

I'm toast after a 14+ hour day but its all downhill from here!
Manoet,

Your discovery about the metallurgy of the case is interesting.  Some owners have experienced flaking of the chrome plating and the difficulties of plating aluminum were mentioned as the culprit.  If the case is not aluminum it might be easier to plate. I always thought the case seemed too sturdy to be aluminum.
Yeah, the weight is also suspicious, it seems too heavy for aluminium... But I'm far from Manoet's experience and knowledge...

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Brass & aluminum have very similar requirement protocol related to plating and base coats required and can also be a 3 or 4 plate layer foundation. However whereas 6061 aluminum has just under half the tensile strength of brass, 7075 aluminum is 30% higher tensile strength and stronger than brass. S'why its commonly referred to as 'poor man's Titanium.'

I'm still trying to figure out how my metals sample picked up a 1% bauxite content. The primary ore in aluminum in a case void of any aluminum!?! Guess that's why there's a 1% margin for error factored in or I didn't get my sample collecting tap as clean as I thought
(02-Aug-2015, 03:08)Manoet Wrote: Brass & aluminum have very similar requirement protocol related to plating and base coats required and can also be a 3 or 4 plate layer foundation. However whereas 6061 aluminum has just under half the tensile strength of brass, 7075 aluminum is 30% higher tensile strength and stronger than brass. S'why its commonly referred to as 'poor man's Titanium.'

I'm still trying to figure out how my metals sample picked up a 1% bauxite content. The primary ore in aluminum in a case void of any aluminum!?! Guess that's why there's a 1% margin for error factored in or I didn't get my sample collecting tap as clean as I thought

Couldn't be because it is aluminium could it? My speakers are made of aluminium but they are very heavy do you think they might be made of brass as well?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
nick any reason you seem particularly aggressive to manoet?

your speakers are heavy because they have drivers in them, nothing to do with the aluminium.

i get that you dont agree with the way he thinks, but feel free to leave well enough alone. if you antagonise him every chance you get people will begin to look at you in a negative light and be less open to helping you if you actually need it sometime.

Manoet might get to the end of his tweakend (im trademarking that ps its mine) and go oops im an idiot it was actually aluminium all along, but guaranteed he will tell us either way so lets just see what the outcome is.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
...when I said last weekend that you should sandblast your Devialet and let us know how it sounds I was kidding...I think you're bonkers but keep it up. It's fun to read  Big Grin
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(02-Aug-2015, 03:08)Manoet Wrote: Brass & aluminum have very similar requirement protocol related to plating and base coats required and can also be a 3 or 4 plate layer foundation. However whereas 6061 aluminum has just under half the tensile strength of brass, 7075 aluminum is 30% higher tensile strength and stronger than brass. S'why its commonly referred to as 'poor man's Titanium.'

Manoet,

How do you check the materials content? Xray fluorescence or something else? If 1 % bauxite may suggest very crappy aluminium ie badly refined bauxite (China produced).
One of the dominating minerals in bauxite is gibbsite (water complex of aluminiumoxide) which is the 'part' where aluminium is extracted from. If not done properly there may be residues. In bauxite about 85% will be aluminiumoxide (Al2O3) and the rest is iron, silicon, titanium oxides etc.
If analyzing through xray diffraction peaks from oxide may occur and should occur if plenty. Aluminium has a natural oxide that is formed up to about 40 Å (4 nm) which after then passivates the 'pure' aluminium hence the matt appearance some time after 'polishing'.

If I will have the time I will cut a piece and have it analyzed by former colleagues at the University.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK