Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SACDs
How are you guys playing your SACDs to your Phantoms?

I came across this :

http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.c...edder.html

HDMI de-embedder for splitting the bitstream signal from a HDMI connection to SPDIF. Wondering if anyone has tried one.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
When you connect by SPDIF to your DDH-1, is it outputting at full res (24-bit/192Khz) ?
This one?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ami/1.html
Even if you could output 24 bit 192Khz from your DDH-1. Is Phantom picking it up? Can you tell if Phantom is playing it at the higher resolution?
Wow, this is a pretty nice thread...

Would this be the solution to play Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD, on a pair of Phantoms?

Thanks.
(06-Aug-2015, 22:02)karebe Wrote:
(06-Aug-2015, 18:30)Dvlt PhD Wrote: Wow, this is a pretty nice thread...

Would this be the solution to play Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD, on a pair of Phantoms?

Thanks.

Not really or not yet  Sad PCM, TrueHD and DTS HD are different formats and the Phantoms with the Dialog just understand 1 and 2 channel PCM at the moment. So your BD player has to transform all other formats to PCM. The good thing is that the attributes kHz and bit won't change. Even without native TrueHD and Dolby support you will get a better sound quality.

Devialet must add the desired movie audio formats to the Dialog. Because in my mind this component is responsible for interpreting and transforming audio formats, channel separating and assigning the different audio channels to the Phantoms.

What if I'm trying to playback TrueHD or DTS HD from a file, not from a disc?
(07-Aug-2015, 22:11)karebe Wrote:
(07-Aug-2015, 19:37)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(06-Aug-2015, 22:02)karebe Wrote:
(06-Aug-2015, 18:30)Dvlt PhD Wrote: Wow, this is a pretty nice thread...

Thanks.

Not really or not yet  Sad PCM, TrueHD and DTS HD are different formats and the Phantoms with the Dialog just understand 1 and 2 channel PCM at the moment. So your BD player has to transform all other formats to PCM. The good thing is that the attributes kHz and bit won't change. Even without native TrueHD and Dolby support you will get a better sound quality.

Devialet must add the desired movie audio formats to the Dialog. Because in my mind this component is responsible for interpreting and transforming audio formats, channel separating and assigning the different audio channels to the Phantoms.

What if I'm trying to playback TrueHD or DTS HD from a file, not from a disc?

I think the stream has to arrive the Phantoms as PCM. TrueHD and DTS HD are very close to PCM. They are more or less just different "wrapped". I doubt if I would hear a difference.

No, I think you misunderstood me...

I meant, what if I won't be using a BD player, because I won't be using a Blu-Ray disc? Hence I will be keeping the formats in an HDD, or SSD...
The Dialog will, currently, only accept the LPCM audio format.
Bitstream, I.e Dolby Digital/True HD and DTS equivalents, result in noise.
Good to know about the noise, alandbush. Thanks.

Thanks, karebe.

Guess I'll start looking for a video player that coverts all these to LPCM.
(09-Aug-2015, 21:29)Dvlt PhD Wrote: Good to know about the noise, alandbush. Thanks.

Thanks, karebe.

Guess I'll start looking for a video player that coverts all these to LPCM.

I have a Pioneer BDP-450 Blu ray player.  It is a couple of years old now, but still available.  It is a transport only, it has no DAC, but this is its trump card.  It provides excellent value and can be set to output anything to PCM, including SACD's, which is very unusual.  Some Oppo players (not all) can also do this, but for much more cash.  I'm not sure if there is an equivalent later model of the Pioneer, but this should at least provide a starting point for a bit of reasearch yourself.