Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Auralic Aries
Hi - this now seems to be hitting the market. Would be keen to hear views from others on the forum, particularly withe respect to:
1. Wifi performance - does it drop out or stutter
2. Sound quality - subjective, I know. But currently have a SBT and anyone who has done a like for like comparison.
3. Control app - wire frame looks every good, but how is it in practice
4. Standard vs LE version - differences

I'm thinking that this might be a useful stopgap - until/when Devialet support uPnP - for those of us who have a uPnP based system, and aren't keen on using Mac or PC as source.

I'm trying to get my hands on one for a home dem, so I'll report back as soon as I can do so. On paper, looks like an ideal source for the Devialet.

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
I'm very interested in hearing about Aries as well.

(20-Jul-2014, 22:44)ZincAlloy Wrote: 3. Control app - wire frame looks every good, but how is it in practice

The control app works with all UPnP and Open Home devices so it can be tested beforehand, which I think is pretty cool. I'm so used to Sonos, that it took me a while to get the hang of the app, but it worked well and I think I could easily live with it. It was certainly better than then Moon MiND app, not to mention the Simpleaudio app.

(20-Jul-2014, 22:44)ZincAlloy Wrote: I'm thinking that this might be a useful stopgap - until/when Devialet support uPnP - for those of us who have a uPnP based system, and aren't keen on using Mac or PC as source.

I'm really hoping this would happen. Unfortunately Devialet wasn't too keen on implementing it the last time I asked Sad

(20-Jul-2014, 22:44)ZincAlloy Wrote: I'm trying to get my hands on one for a home dem, so I'll report back as soon as I can do so. On paper, looks like an ideal source for the Devialet.

Indeed it does.
I'm interested in an Aries as well though its disappointing that prices are so much higher in the UK and Europe than the US (e.g. £999 rather than $999 for the LE).

There are some positive early user comments on the Computer Audiophile forum

My shortlist to demo is:

Simaudio Moon MiND 180
Auralic Aries
NAD M50

I've recently been given a very strong recommendation for the NAD so I'm keen to at least try it. It comes with tight integration to Qobuz which is very appealing and includes an optical drive for ripping hence simplifying the overall process and helping to keep box-count down. I will try to get one to home demo but probably not until after the summer vacation. Has anyone else on here tried a NAD?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I agree with some of the other comments on here regarding the MiND 180's control point software. It frequently needs restarting but I think this is mainly to do with it not liking more than one device controlling it and I tend to go from iPhone to iPad (and vice versa!). Most of the time it works ok.

I'm a little disappointed that Simaudio haven't developed the control apps further and it appears that DSD support won't be made available in 2014 (not too sure how they'd do it anyway since the MiND has no USB assuming that it would need to use the DOP standard - thoughts anyone?). There were also rumours of a new power supply which sadly never materialised.

What I will say however is that the MiND 180 is excellent for one thing: sound quality! I have regularly compared it to other inputs (USB, AIR etc) and to my ears it has always sounded much better.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi...

I am also very much interested in any experiences with Aries and NAD M50. From the looks of it, NAD seems to be a good PC alternative for streaming/data playback, at least for files up to 24/192... With an attached USB disk, the use case seems to be extremely straightforward...

Aries will take some time to have a direct USB disk connection ... I want to stay away from network based streaming as much as I can.

Anyone with experience on M50?

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
It looks promising. Does anyone now how to connect the Aries to a Devialet 200 ?
I suppose USB and Ethernet are possible ?

Thanks.
AES & SPDIF too. I believe USB is necessary for DSD support.
(21-Jul-2014, 20:15)Rufus McDufus Wrote: AES & SPDIF too. I believe USB is necessary for DSD support.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question : how can one add a USB driver to the Aries ?

Thanks.
(21-Jul-2014, 20:19)Georgethesixth Wrote: I'm sorry if this is a stupid question : how can one add a USB driver to the Aries ?
It might already be there, depends on what OS Aries is running. I'd assume it's Linux based so it might just work, if it's designed to work like that.
(21-Jul-2014, 20:39)jjo Wrote:
(21-Jul-2014, 20:19)Georgethesixth Wrote: I'm sorry if this is a stupid question : how can one add a USB driver to the Aries ?
It might already be there, depends on what OS Aries is running. I'd assume it's Linux based so it might just work, if it's designed to work like that.

I have heard good things on Arcam's Airdac. Coax out only. however, can do airplay. even better if give it a better linear PSU. I do hope devialet supports UPNP (it will probably cost them some of money to develop a remote for the library management)