Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Auralic Aries
(21-Jul-2014, 15:38)Kunter Wrote: Hi...

I am also very much interested in any experiences with Aries and NAD M50. From the looks of it, NAD seems to be a good PC alternative for streaming/data playback, at least for files up to 24/192... With an attached USB disk, the use case seems to be extremely straightforward...

Aries will take some time to have a direct USB disk connection ... I want to stay away from network based streaming as much as I can.

Anyone with experience on M50?

Kunter

Kunter,

Louis-Andre who posts on the Naim Forum is very keen on the M50. Follow the thread and you can see what he says. I had a long phone discussion with him last week and he was very helpful providing info on the advantages of the NAD: excellent sound, close integration with Qobuz and strong partnering programme generally, excellent control app, ability to rip etc plus which connectors to use (he likes Oyaide). He's using the M50 and M52 storage in a Naim system but I don't see why his comments shouldn't apply with a Devialet.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(22-Jul-2014, 10:05)PhilP Wrote:
(21-Jul-2014, 15:38)Kunter Wrote: Hi...

I am also very much interested in any experiences with Aries and NAD M50. From the looks of it, NAD seems to be a good PC alternative for streaming/data playback, at least for files up to 24/192... With an attached USB disk, the use case seems to be extremely straightforward...

Aries will take some time to have a direct USB disk connection ... I want to stay away from network based streaming as much as I can.

Anyone with experience on M50?

Kunter

Kunter,

Louis-Andre who posts on the Naim Forum is very keen on the M50. Follow the thread and you can see what he says. I had a long phone discussion with him last week and he was very helpful providing info on the advantages of the NAD: excellent sound, close integration with Qobuz and strong partnering programme generally, excellent control app, ability to rip etc plus which connectors to use (he likes Oyaide). He's using the M50 and M52 storage in a Naim system but I don't see why his comments shouldn't apply with a Devialet.

Thanks for this!
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Does anyone know if you buy the cheaper Aries, can you add the better PSU later?
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
I understood that main advantage of streamers over computer-based sources was meant to be their ease and simplicity of use. Allowing users to pull together music from many different sources without having the hassle of worrying about software installs and incompatibility , hardware performance etc. I've been following the Auralic Aries thread on Computeraudiophile with interest as the product seems to promise so much but there are so many negative comments about the poor quality of the control software (Lightning DS) that there seems to be little point in trying the product until the initial bugs have been fixed. I've also seen on this forum and elsewhere negative comments about the Simaudio Moon control software.

If the streamer manufacturers can't offer better software solutions than the compter-based competitors like Audirvana, Amarra, Jriver etc then there seems to be little future for them.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
(21-Jul-2014, 12:04)GuillaumeB Wrote: I've been following the Auralic Aries thread on Computeraudiophile with interest as the product seems to promise so much but there are so many negative comments about the poor quality of the control software (Lightening DS) that there seems to be little point in trying the product until the initial bugs have been fixed.

The Lightning DS should work with yout Naim as well, so you can give it a try and see for yourself. No purchase needed Wink
(28-Jul-2014, 12:34)jjo Wrote: The Lightning DS should work with yout Naim as well, so you can give it a try and see for yourself. No purchase needed Wink

Good point - I will give it a go Wink though I'm more interested to hear the quality of the sound that the Aries can deliver and from what I've read Lightning DS might get in the way...
I think it's more a case of each streaming solution (AIR, UPnP etc) having its pros and cons. As far as I know there isn't a perfect solution out there.

I love the MiND 180 because it is so easy to use and mostly reliable and sounds fantastic to boot (at the time I compared it to all other available inputs and the MiND was the clear winner SQ-wise). I was also able to keep my existing network infrastructure which was a major bonus.

However the MiND control point isn't brilliant. It's a little clunky to use and occasionally loses its connection although since I fitted a new Draytek switch it seems to be very reliable.

If the Auralic Aries sounds as good as the MiND and has a decent control point I might jump ship but until then I'm pretty happy with what I have. I accept that other computer-based solutions are far slicker affairs but to me convenience and sound quality win the day. I'm also probably a bit lazy.

And let's not forget the persistent rumours of UPnP being planned by Devialet... Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi - tried to get an Aries for home dem. Entry level model not available until September, the one with the upgraded power supply available now, according to my dealer. So, I guess I'll be staying with the SBT until Autumn...

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(28-Jul-2014, 14:19)GuillaumeB Wrote: snip...

And let's not forget the persistent rumours of UPnP being planned by Devialet... Tongue

Guillaume

My dealer is adamant that they won't do it, saying that at the Devialet dealer training day recently they spoke of all the limitations of the UPnP approach and how AIR was much better.....

(29-Jul-2014, 12:21)ZincAlloy Wrote: Hi - tried to get an Aries for home dem. Entry level model not available until September, the one with the upgraded power supply available now, according to my dealer. So, I guess I'll be staying with the SBT until Autumn...

ATB, Ken

Ken

Any comments on what benefits (if any) you get from the better PSU on the Aries into the Devialet.

I dealer I spoke to came up with some dramatic flowery language but little of substance to describe the potential impact!!
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(29-Jul-2014, 13:20)Neffa Wrote: My dealer is adamant that they won't do it, saying that at the Devialet dealer training day recently they spoke of all the limitations of the UPnP approach and how AIR was much better.....

I'm under this impression as well, after my brief interaction with the Devialet folk. Part of what they said was "DLNA / UPnP solutions are not optimized to transmit audio data. This is why there are latency issues and more generally playback quality issues related to it.".

Latency I get, but it shouldn't be that much of an issue in a home network, not to mention that other vendors seem to have solved those. Playback quality issues I do not get as it is packet data in the data network, so every bit gets through unmodified.

But that is their stand and I just have to deal with it. Possibly by buying a separate streamer. Even though, in the optimal situation I'd really like to skip the whole S/PDIF business and feed the bits through ethernet directly to Devialet.

For me Air has way worse usability than any UPnP solution.