Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Auralic Aries
(05-Aug-2014, 14:44)Georgethesixth Wrote: This discussion is fascinating. How can it be that people on the one hand spend hard cash trying to exclude every possible interference, and on the other hand ask for non-essential features on a purpose build hardware platform.

I do hope that Devialet will keep a focus on core musical quality, features and stability. There is still some work to do on AIR reliability, feature support (functions of app's need to be available in AIR) and platform support (Linux version ?). If you ask me - which nobody does off course -, 'Me too'-features are only distracting when they are not necessary from a marketing point of view.

So, are you saying that Devialet should focus on the features you want them to focus on, instead of the distracting features you don't care about Big Grin

(05-Aug-2014, 14:44)Georgethesixth Wrote: The 'SAM-ready' label might also be a smart marketing move if they can get speaker manufacturers so far that they are willing to add the Devialet-label in their marketing.

It could go like that but I doubt it will. Remains to be seen. Someone might even go as far as to say "SAM ready" == "Devialet can use DSP to correct our design flaws" which doesn't really sound that appealing if you don't own a Devialet.
(05-Aug-2014, 15:25)jjo Wrote:
(05-Aug-2014, 14:44)Georgethesixth Wrote: This discussion is fascinating. How can it be that people on the one hand spend hard cash trying to exclude every possible interference, and on the other hand ask for non-essential features on a purpose build hardware platform.

I do hope that Devialet will keep a focus on core musical quality, features and stability. There is still some work to do on AIR reliability, feature support (functions of app's need to be available in AIR) and platform support (Linux version ?). If you ask me - which nobody does off course -, 'Me too'-features are only distracting when they are not necessary from a marketing point of view.

So, are you saying that Devialet should focus on the features you want them to focus on, instead of the distracting features you don't care about Big Grin

(05-Aug-2014, 14:44)Georgethesixth Wrote: The 'SAM-ready' label might also be a smart marketing move if they can get speaker manufacturers so far that they are willing to add the Devialet-label in their marketing.

It could go like that but I doubt it will. Remains to be seen. Someone might even go as far as to say "SAM ready" == "Devialet can use DSP to correct our design flaws" which doesn't really sound that appealing if you don't own a Devialet.

Perhaps Smile What I wanted to say is : I hope they focus on features that are unique to to the platform and not on features that you can add without quality loss from a lot of vendors. To stay on topic : if they should partner with Auralic, they could create a solution that has more value for us as customer, and has a much shorter time to market. This doesn't inhibit Devialet to create their own platform on a later date.

Another reason why I hope that they will focus on improving current features and services, is the fact that there are still flaws that are important to fix. From a technical point of view : the white noise problem when using AIR is not solved yet, although they obviously thought it was.
From a support point of view : although one-on-one support is good, the quality of the public support site is not ok. You find outdated documents without reference to applicable firmware revisions, no list of known problems etc. Even the success of this forum, and the lack of an official Devialet counterpart is troublesome. For me, these are indications of growing pains that need to be tackled before adding new functionality. They have a great example if they look at Sonos : from day one, they made sure that what they delivered worked almost flawless. Problems are openly discussed and fixed in a short time.

I did not look from your point of view to the SAM discussion but IMHO you have a point when you say that SAM might not be attractive for speaker vendors. I did speak from my perspective (and some friends) as an absolute novice : if SAM had existed when I bought our new HiFi set, I would have bought SAM-ready speakers. Why : peace of mind. Is that not the same reason why they will implement DSD ? It is not as if the market is saturated with DSD-recordings. Why do people want it ? If they pay good money for amplifier- and DAC functionality, they want to have a solution that might not be obsolete in a couple of months.
Agree 100% with George.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(06-Aug-2014, 00:04)Georgethesixth Wrote: From a support point of view : although one-on-one support is good, the quality of the public support site is not ok. You find outdated documents without reference to applicable firmware revisions, no list of known problems etc. Even the success of this forum, and the lack of an official Devialet counterpart is troublesome. For me, these are indications of growing pains that need to be tackled before adding new functionality. They have a great example if they look at Sonos : from day one, they made sure that what they delivered worked almost flawless. Problems are openly discussed and fixed in a short time.

Well, hopefully Devialet will see that this forum is a positive thing for all parties involved and either join/endorse or set up their own forum. Either outcome will be a good result as far as I'm concerned!

I must say I've been really impressed by the good nature shown on this forum; we don't necessarily all agree on things but it's been a breeze to moderate! Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(06-Aug-2014, 17:52)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(06-Aug-2014, 00:04)Georgethesixth Wrote: From a support point of view : although one-on-one support is good, the quality of the public support site is not ok. You find outdated documents without reference to applicable firmware revisions, no list of known problems etc. Even the success of this forum, and the lack of an official Devialet counterpart is troublesome. For me, these are indications of growing pains that need to be tackled before adding new functionality. They have a great example if they look at Sonos : from day one, they made sure that what they delivered worked almost flawless. Problems are openly discussed and fixed in a short time.

Well, hopefully Devialet will see that this forum is a positive thing for all parties involved and either join/endorse or set up their own forum. Either outcome will be a good result as far as I'm concerned!

I must say I've been really impressed by the good nature shown on this forum; we don't necessarily all agree on things but it's been a breeze to moderate! Smile

Guillaume

As the British would say : hear, hear ! You did a great job starting this off !
(06-Aug-2014, 19:07)Georgethesixth Wrote:
(06-Aug-2014, 17:52)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

I say! Jolly good show! Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
An interesting review of the Devialet 120 on Audiostream.com, and a conclusion from Michael Lavorgna with the Aries :

"Submitted by Michael Lavorgna on August 6, 2014 - 9:09am
The AIR app, via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, is on par with the Aries via USB and superior to it via Coax, imo. Of course with the AIR app, you can stream from any computer-based source whereas with the Aries you are limited to what it supports. I'm thinking specifically about streaming services, internet radio, etc."

http://www.audiostream.com/content/devialet-120
[/quote]

[/quote]

I say! Jolly good show! :
Guillaume
[/quote]

Correction: it is as the English would say. (I've just been watching the Scottish independence debate.)

On a serious note, I agree with comments above, this forum has become a vey civilised place, long may this continue. Perhaps this says something about the mindset of Devialet owners? Who knows. To put this into context, I have seen threads on other forums descend into ferocious and unpleasant abuse over the smallest of things. Let's all keep up the excellent standard to date!
May be a solution to UPnP/dlna is devialet to release an app for NAS (just one will do) - QNAP, Synology, Netgear should be capable enough to stream.
I've had the Aries for over a week now. It's a bit frustrating really - whilst the sound quality is very good I'm having a number of 'computer-like' issues with it - it seems to disconnect from the minimserver database all too often, and the Aries device seems to remove itself from the iPad apps frequently as well.

I am having to reboot the router every few days to get it working, and the usability of the apps (Lumin and Lightning DS) are far, far below Sonos. A friend here has one too, and says he has no such problems - but he has a different router and network too.

Annoyingly the '$999/$1500' price is pretty much fictious from what I can tell, with most country distributors charging twice that - I mention this because at a lower price you could put up with some issues, but I paid $2.2k for mine, and feel it doesn't perform as a $2.2k component - my wife can't use the interface, and could never manage to restart it. She'll stick with the Sonos.

I think it's got potential, however ironically I bought it as I thought Devialet Air was too flaky to use! In summary, for me at least, it's a bit too flaky at this stage, but having bought it I suppose I should stick with it for a while. I'm thinking maybe something that has on board storage, and that doesn't connect to a NAS or a router or a computer might be the solution, sort of like an adult iPod.
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS