Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 400 - speakers impedance
(04-Aug-2014, 15:35)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi Kenzo,

For what its worth with regards to driving SF Strads I read on another forum, can't recall which one, about a guy going double D-Premiers (some 500 W on tap) and his comments was in the 'match in heaven' and 'never heard better'.

I myself is on the hunt for new speaker and auditioned SF Guarneri Evo and Amati Futura (However I really would like monitors). At the time I used my D200 which didn't master the G Evo (strange and forced mid range) but did it almost perfect with A Futura which I believe is less sensitive than the Stads. A Futura sounded more monitor than the G Evo but that is another story. Amati is on my list for next speakers.

Conclusion, a D400 would have driven the Amatis perfect and your Strads should, no doubt, sing perfect with D400.

/Mike

I am running Amati Futura with a 250 (was a D-Premier but I have upgraded it).
I don't feel the 250 has any problem in driving them to the point I am not sure it worth for me to upgrade to 800.
I am waiting to see what SAM can do. Currently Amati Futura are sitting at 106 votes but no SAM announcement yet

M
the 250 also had no problems driving my Vivid Giya G2. The reason for upgrading to 800 was the substantially better sound also with normal listening levels.
Of course the dynamics are much better especially if you listen at higher volumes, but you can always hear the benefits of much lower THD.
If you can spend the money you should try it.
(05-Aug-2014, 08:08)Vivialet Wrote: the 250 also had no problems driving my Vivid Giya G2. The reason for upgrading to 800 was the substantially better sound also with normal listening levels.
Of course the dynamics are much better especially if you listen at higher volumes, but you can always hear the benefits of much lower THD.
If you can spend the money you should try it.

As an 800 owner I couldn't agree more. I don't think you need to play music loud to appreciate what the dual mono is doing. It's quite a bit better than the single unit on many levels.

Last year I was able to do back to back comparisons of the 170, 240 and dual monos in my own home. Also before my 500s were eventually delivered (a few months late I might add!) I had a 250 on an extended loan. I got very used to the 250 sound. Then my dual monos arrived and instantly straight out of the box it felt like a huge upgrade. Not just more power and grip but a much more refined delicate and liquid presentation with improved micro dynamics. It just felt like it was easier to get lost in the music.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
very good description...
mmmm.... Ok ..I start the D400 count down....Big Grin
(05-Aug-2014, 13:47)Kenzo Wrote: mmmm.... Ok ..I start the D400 count down....Big Grin
We will count with you Smile Back from vacation and the D400 is doing hard duty Wink
As described above, jumping to double mono is so much more than just added effect...

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK