Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Devialet not sounding quiet right (newbie question)
(24-Jul-2014, 20:58)Georgethesixth Wrote: Hi,

How long did it take before you were satisfied with the sound of your Devialet ?
Is it still necessary to 'burn in' a new box ? If the music doesn't sound OK, what would you change first ? We have a Devialet 200, Athom speakers (trial), dedicated Windows 2012 music server with MC19. Cabling is nothing special : what's in the box.

I'm an IT guy, setting his first steps in the High end audio world so please be gentle. The discussions on this forum are really fascinating (and confusing). Everything I learned about cabling, grounding, power supply, multitasking OS's etc. is questioned.

Thanks,

Joris

I got my D-Premier back in January 2012. It took more than two months before it sounded it's best.
I upgraded to a 250 recently. In roughly a week it sounded super, but as a new 250 it actually sounded fine straight from the box. This may have to do with the fact that the ADH core is retained when upgrading and the ADH in my D-Premier was already broken in.

Do you use USB from your 2012 server?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi,

My 200 took about 500 hours, imagination or not, and I am still waiting for the 400 slave to bed in.

Since going from 170-200 warm up time is no longer from 15 min (170) to about 1 hour (200).

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Ah, yes but.... @Georgethesixth advised that "The sound is a touch metallic". Does this description fit with what anyone else has heard during the "bedding in" phase?
Metallic, never heard this not even from start, however from some bad recordings this can come through sometimes. Mine rather sounded a tiny closed in, soft, not so dynamic, mellow in the sense of an extreme critical mind (mine Wink). However they sounded good from start compared to previous gear but with time became so much better. Please remember that since then I stepped up the power cable game which really was needed to get the units to show their full potential. Depending on your mains a PC may give an effect or not.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Thanks for the suggestions. I used the same test-files during the trial and they sounded great. If I'm able to solve it, I'll post it.
So you guys with dual mono set ups, are you hearing one channel sound different than the other? Have you switched up the speaker cables to confirm it's the amp?
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
pete86,

I did what you suggests. From the start after installing the slave unit it sounded quite different as I have described on this forum. So much I did the swap and tried the 'other' channel. The outcome was the same ie the new unit (slave) gave the same 'inferior' sound reproduction. However, since then things turned better (some 200 hours more burn in) but still there is a difference. I will for sure test with another link cable than the supplied Crystal Cable as the Furutech RCA hardly are optimal in my book of quality.
Of course added burn in time may yield the same signature of the master.

One thing I noticed is that the D-amp temp for the units are quite different if that may play a role but this Devialet denied when I asked them.

/Mike
Mine sounded really poor out of the box. Then I realized I had connected the speakers out of phase; once I fixed this everything snapped into focus.

I've found my D200 very easy to live with. It didn't need running in, and sounds good from being switched on. It does improve with time, but I no longer worry about it.
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors