Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all and few questions
Hi all,

I'm interested to purchase two Phantoms.
I'd like to know if the system is compatible with Apple Airplay, if it can read audio from NAS servers (I own one Synology 1515+) or do I need to add a network player like this?
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851n

I read that the streaming has several issues using Spark.

I don't want to use a computer to play my music, I want to use exclusively my iPad as remote.

Thanks for the answers.

regards
Phantom depends on Spark. You can run Spark on an iPad. Spark can read any music in a folder on the network.
I have Spark running on my main music machine, an iMac, a Macbook Pro, iPhone and iPad. The music folder on the NAS has been linked to in Spark. I can choose any music from my iPad, using Spark. Spark has to be running on the computer used to link to the music folder for it to be seen, but it is seen and played by all other devices running Spark on the network.

I rarely play any of the music on my NAS drive though...

I have never used Airplay, but my guess would be no.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Natively Phantom/Spark unfortunately doesn't support Airplay.
An easy workaround is to connect an Apple Airport Express or Apple TV to the optical input of Phantom or Dialog using a Toslink to mini Toslink cable.
This is how I use Phantom to play from any apps from my Apple devices with Airplay.
PH
Thank you.

Considering the amount of processors on both devices I think it's possible to implement the Airplay because it's a streaming protocol.
Probably Devialet has to pay some royalties to Apple.

regards
The issue here is that to implement Airplay a manufacturer needs to be part of Apple MFI program and include in its hardware an special authentification chip provided by Apple only.
My guess is that for whatever reason that chip is not in the current Phantom.
That is why In the meantime I found a good bargain to pay 89€ to get an Apple Airport Express to make Phantom Airplay compatible.
PH

[q
uote='gabrielefx' pid='22853' dateline='1439314999']
Thank you.

Considering the amount of processors on both devices I think it's possible to implement the Airplay because it's a streaming protocol.
Probably Devialet has to pay some royalties to Apple.

regards
[/quote]
(11-Aug-2015, 15:35)f1eng Wrote: Phantom depends on Spark. You can run Spark on an iPad. Spark can read any music in a folder on the network.
I have Spark running on my main music machine, an iMac, a Macbook Pro, iPhone and iPad. The music folder on the NAS has been linked to in Spark. I can choose any music from my iPad, using Spark. 

Can you stream wirelessly 192/24 files from an iPad?
How about higher than 192/24?
And how about DSD?

Does the Phantom play DSD128 and DSD256?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket