Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 110 What Hifi review
Jnan_devi,

IanG-UK makes a good point about the What Hi-Fi review format needing a 'pro' and a 'con' list. Having one column empty makes for less exciting reading. And every product has some drawbacks. I think that a sense that there is a loss of excitement, or whatever, at low volumes that is a function of human hearing. I think we just like a bit more oomf when we hear music. Hence the introduction of the loudness button on amplifiers. Even my former UnitiQute had a setting for loudness for low-level listening.

But like you I just bought a D120; mine came home on the  13th. I tend to like to listen at medium volume; probably louder than many do. As I've spent a lot of time since friday night playing with the D120, I've listened as low volumes as well. I can't say that there is anything lacking in this amplifier that isn't characteristic of all, or most, audio systems.

You can try boosting the bass a bit with the remote when listening at low volumes. It may make a difference that you like.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Damon - thank!. No regrets for ordering D120, agree with you. I m waiting for the product to be delivered - Eagerly!
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
The loss of resolution at low volumes is most likely due to destructive digital attenuation.
Not sure if limiting the power of the amp in the configurator will "cure" this or is in itself a form of digital attenuation.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(16-Feb-2015, 07:20)Rodney Gold Wrote: The loss of resolution at low volumes is most likely due to destructive digital attenuation.
Not sure if limiting the power of the amp in the configurator will "cure" this or is in itself a form of digital attenuation.

I highly doubt this is the case, otherwise anyone using a Devialet with high efficiency systems like horns having around 120+ dBA SPL efficiency for 2.83 V would experience it whatever volume they are listening it, and there are some people running such systems with a D800 and not experiencing it at all.

Personnaly, if you look at my configuration with the D120 and 88 dBA SPL for 2.83V speakers, even when I'm listening with the volume set down to -40 dB or -50 dB, I'm not loosing anything.

I suspect it is more coming from the psycho-accoustic and frequency transfer curves of the ear which at low volume privilege medium and intelligibility over the rest of the spectrum.

My two cents,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
They commented in the review that the devialet was significantly worse at low volume levels than the fletcher munson curve suggests.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(16-Feb-2015, 10:18)Rodney Gold Wrote: They commented in the review that the devialet was significantly worse at low volume levels than the fletcher munson curve suggests.

Well I don't know exactly what they experienced. The explanation that digital attenuation eats on precision does not cut it for me since Devialet's processing is 40 bits floating point (meaning that any level of attenuation does not eat on the accuracy).

If Devialet was bad at low volumes, then I have hard time to understand how it can be so good on high efficiency systems....
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I do think my D200 is not great at low volumes. Normal listening volume for me is when the display is indicating around -10 to -15dB dB with my Raidhos which are 88dB sensitivity 2.83V/m but there is a fairly clear threshold between which it's poor and when it's good.
I'm surprised Jean-Marie that your indicated volume is so different for same-spec (interms of sensitivity figures) speakers. And I don't like it very loud! - [edit] sorry I misread your post, but I can barely hear it at -40dB!
The psycho-acoustic explanation seems quite plausible. Also perhaps room interactions at lower volumes?
(16-Feb-2015, 11:44)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I do think my D200 is not great at low volumes.  Normal listening volume for me is when the display is indicating around -10 to -15dB dB with my Raidhos which are 88dB sensitivity 2.83V/m but there is a fairly clear threshold between which it's poor and when it's good.
I'm surprised Jean-Marie that your indicated volume is so different for same-spec (interms of sensitivity figures) speakers. And I don't like it very loud!
The psycho-acoustic explanation seems quite plausible. Also perhaps room interactions at lower volumes?

Mine's running at -33.5 dB playing Bruno Pronsato 'Lovers Do' at this very moment and it sounds great Wink

I haven't noticed any more degradation at low levels than I did with my previous Naim system.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
It makes no difference at what rate the Devialet works , as you attenuate digitally severly, you lose resolution. At some point it becomes audible.

Thats why I was intimating that limiting power and using higher volumes might be better than full power and a lot of attenuation..however I am not privy to exactly how power limiting works.
At any rate , any system played at low volumes is a waste if you do that mostly , you might as well buy cheaper stuff as it will be compromised due to fletcher munson anyway, unless you have bought speakers that have uptilted bass and treble and that actually sound good at low levels , but then they will be compromised at high.
Makes no difference to me anyway as I play my d prem and Giya G1's at pretty loud levels.
(16-Feb-2015, 11:44)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I do think my D200 is not great at low volumes.  Normal listening volume for me is when the display is indicating around -10 to -15dB dB with my Raidhos which are 88dB sensitivity 2.83V/m but there is a fairly clear threshold between which it's poor and when it's good.
I'm surprised Jean-Marie that your indicated volume is so different for same-spec (interms of sensitivity figures) speakers. And I don't like it very loud!  - [edit] sorry I misread your post, but I can barely hear it at -40dB!

Wow, my B&W's have the exact same sensitivity (88dB spl (2.83V, 1m)), and I rarely play above -32dB. When I listen to my turntable I have to turn up the volume a bit to max -24dB. Perhaps your listening position is farther away?
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands