Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up a Phantom WITHOUT a Dialog: Any Successes?
I recently took one of my Phantoms to my parents house and spent about 3-4 hours trying to set it up without Dialog via Spark on Android/IOS/Windows devices, without any success. I found the following obstacles:

1) Entering the WiFi password into Spark NEVER let the Phantom join the network.
2) Spark only recognised the WiFi of the Phantom for password entry
3) Consequently, Spark never proceeded to the Phantom Zone allocation (Superman)
4) Resetting the Phantom (3 presses) many times didn't help
5) Using an Ethernet cable to the Phantom almost worked, but not consistently (and not after cable disconnected).

I had to revert to the Dialog in the end.
Has anyone had any success setting up & using a single Phantom on a password-protected WiFi network (without a Dialog) ??
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Yes. I actually did and listened to the first Phantom I bought while I was unpacking the second one...
Sad aren't I?

It worked first time. Mind you it was March and the firmware was v1.0.0.0 and Spark was probably v1.0 too.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I would recommend setting up the Phantoms using the Windows or Mac apps instead of the mobile apps.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
So, to confirm, you entered your Home Network's WiFi password, and then Spark connected with the Phantom across the Network?
I thought I achieved it once way back in March... But I couldn't replicate that success lately.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Yes. No issues there. What wireless router are you using?
That's what I find extra puzzling - I have failed with both MY router AND my Dad's router (Asus AC66U + BT HomeHub respectively). My parent's house ought to provide a whole 'nuther testing environment, so I was pretty surprised when I had exactly the same problems there. Are you also using WPA2 encryption on your networks?
Yes. WPA2. You should open a ticket with Devialet in this case.
Thanks. Can you confirm your success was entirely via Android or IOS and wifi? I had difficulties using Windows Spark, because the Phantom is an 'ad-hoc' wifi point, which Windows can't traditionally 'see' (without digging into advanced command line instructions). OSX works natively with adhoc.
I used Android and IOS. Can't remember if I tried with Windows or not.
(17-Aug-2015, 05:17)trashken Wrote: I used Android and IOS. Can't remember if I tried with Windows or not.

So, what is the procedure to use Phantom without the Dialog?

What resolution of music can you stream to it without a Dialog?
Can you stream 192/24? Can you stream higher PCM?
Can you stream DSD?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket