Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Start-up info shows speaker name with SAM disabled
I've just noticed something slightly surprising, and wondered whether anyone else has seen anything similar...

When I turn on my D400, the start-up "splash" screen on the display briefly shows the name "GUARNERI" in small text around the time the SAM logo is displayed.

The reason this is odd is that I'm pretty sure (having just double-checked) that SAM is disabled in my configuration.

Looking at the config files in a text editor, it seems that both the master and slave include a section like this:

"MATCHING_CONFIG":{

"SAM_ENABLE":"ON",
    "HP_NAME":"GUARNERI",
    "_speakers_path":"SONUS FABER!$SONUS FABER GUARNERI EVOLUTION",
    "SAM1":0.0040263639,
    "SAM2":0.0080527228,
    "SAM3":0.0113882734,
    "SAM4":0.0028470683,
[...many inscrutable parameters snipped...]
    "SAM61":0,
    "SAM62":0,
    "SAM63":0,
    "SAM64":0
  },

followed by one like this:

"SAM_CONFIG":{

"SAM_ENABLE":"OFF",
    "HP_NAME":"",
    "_speakers_path":"",
    "SAM_VERSION":21,
    "SAM1":0,
    "SAM2":0,
    "SAM3":0,
    "SAM4":0,
[...many zero-valued parameters snipped...]
    "SAM125":0,
    "SAM126":0,
    "SAM127":0,
    "SAM128":0
  },

It looks to me as though the MATCHING_CONFIG section may be a relic of my having played around with the SAM options in the configurator - in particular, enabling SAM for a particular speaker, then disabling it.  I guess the HP_NAME is what's being displayed on the LCD during start-up.  But I wonder what that section actually does, if SAM is disabled.

Anyone else seen this, or have any thoughts/comments?  It's fine by me -- in fact, I quite like it -- provided I can be sure SAM is actually disabled, as there's no SAM configuration for my speakers (a different flavour of Guarneri).

I'm running v7.1.3 firmware.  Not that the configurator knows that.

Thanks,

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
i just checked my config and my "matching config" shows sam as disabled even though i used to have it enabled for my vivids.

so perhaps the configurator missed a beat this time
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(14-Aug-2015, 22:11)thumb5 Wrote: I've just noticed something slightly surprising, and wondered whether anyone else has seen anything similar...

When I turn on my D400, the start-up "splash" screen on the display briefly shows the name "GUARNERI" in small text around the time the SAM logo is displayed.

The reason this is odd is that I'm pretty sure (having just double-checked) that SAM is disabled in my configuration.

Looking at the config files in a text editor, it seems that both the master and slave include a section like this:

"MATCHING_CONFIG":{

"SAM_ENABLE":"ON",
    "HP_NAME":"GUARNERI",
    "_speakers_path":"SONUS FABER!$SONUS FABER GUARNERI EVOLUTION",
    "SAM1":0.0040263639,
    "SAM2":0.0080527228,
    "SAM3":0.0113882734,
    "SAM4":0.0028470683,
[...many inscrutable parameters snipped...]
    "SAM61":0,
    "SAM62":0,
    "SAM63":0,
    "SAM64":0
  },

followed by one like this:

"SAM_CONFIG":{

"SAM_ENABLE":"OFF",
    "HP_NAME":"",
    "_speakers_path":"",
    "SAM_VERSION":21,
    "SAM1":0,
    "SAM2":0,
    "SAM3":0,
    "SAM4":0,
[...many zero-valued parameters snipped...]
    "SAM125":0,
    "SAM126":0,
    "SAM127":0,
    "SAM128":0
  },

It looks to me as though the MATCHING_CONFIG section may be a relic of my having played around with the SAM options in the configurator - in particular, enabling SAM for a particular speaker, then disabling it.  I guess the HP_NAME is what's being displayed on the LCD during start-up.  But I wonder what that section actually does, if SAM is disabled.

Anyone else seen this, or have any thoughts/comments?  It's fine by me -- in fact, I quite like it -- provided I can be sure SAM is actually disabled, as there's no SAM configuration for my speakers (a different flavour of Guarneri).

I'm running v7.1.3 firmware.  Not that the configurator knows that.

Thanks,

Ian

If I were you I would let Deviate know about this. There might be a bug in the configurator that they don't know about
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(15-Aug-2015, 01:36)Pim van Vliet Wrote: If I were you I would let Deviate know about this. There might be a bug in the configurator that they don't know about

Hello Pim - yes, good idea, I've done that and will update this thread when I get a reply.
Warwickshire, UK
Thumb, could it be that Guarnieri is also the name of the particular configuration you saved at Le Configurateur and downloaded to your computer? My 120 shows something similar (in my case, "KEF LS50") which is my name of choice for saving my configuration AND the brand and model of my speakers ...

Just a thought, best regards,

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've checked that my configuration is called "D400 (7.1)" on the configurator, and I see that on the display when it's first loaded.
Warwickshire, UK
Devialet have confirmed that my configuration seems to be incorrect and SAM is partially enabled. They acknowledge that this is due to a configurator bug and recommend that I re-do the configuration from scratch. Apart from looking at the section I mentioned in the config file(s), the acid test is whether the unit shows the name of a loudspeaker when the SAM splash screen comes up: if so, SAM is not disabled.
Warwickshire, UK
A different issue, but vaguely related. On start up on my D800, the display goes through its sequence on the master, showing SAM, then KEF Blade, then to the normal display of volume / input selected. The companion runs through the same sequence, a second or so behind. Generally the companion flashes up the SAM logo, but then jumps straight to the final volume / input display screen, skipping momentarily showing KEF Blade. I think occasionally the start up is a little slower (maybe after a longer period of unuse) and the companion does show KEF Blade, but I haven't noticed this for a while. I am guessing this is normal, and put any concerns I have down to OCD. But in OCD mode, well, you never know, is something amiss? Both screens show SAM enabled in use, so I think all is fine.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I'm beginning to think OCD is a necessary trait to keep things on track... Smile
Warwickshire, UK
confused if you have any concerns post up your master and slave configs
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)