Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphone amp - help please
As far as I understand the 200 does not support digital out so won't be able to connect a device that takes in digital input.

There is one option (risky one albeit). A couple of Hifiman users use speaker amps as headphone amps. This approach will let you use the main DAC and ADH amp to drive your inefficient planar headphones. I haven't tried it so can't vouch for it!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529873/amps-tha...hones/3840

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
• Devialet 400 + Magico Q1
You could check this out:

www.hifisound.co.uk

Apparently they sell Audeze, and they are just up the road from you. Alternatively, why not have a nice holiday in the south of England? We are very friendly down here, and it's always sunny. (well it is this morning anyway)
Thanks again, I guess i could try leaving the headphone amp out of the system when I get the new headphones. I bought an adapter when I first got the 200 as I intended to get rid of the headphone amp. However I found it was not as good so kept my headphone amp.

I had no idea the 200 does not supper a digital out.......my knowledge not that good as you can see
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(22-Aug-2015, 09:36)Confused Wrote: You could check this out:

www.hifisound.co.uk

Apparently they sell Audeze, and they are just up the road from you.  Alternatively, why not have a nice holiday in the south of England?  We are very friendly down here, and it's always sunny.  (well it is this morning anyway)

Audeze have a reputation for being heavy and uncomfortable. There has also been a lot of reliability issues I believe so I have been a little put off these. The dealer is where I got the 200 from so it would have been ideal. As for trip down south.........I holiday abroad as I understand their language a little better Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Fair comment Mr Womaz! To be clear, I actually don't want it to sound like I'm pushing the Audeze, I only had a very quick listen to them once and have not checked out the obvious opposition. Although I did also had a listen to the Sennheiser HD800. I thought these were beautifully made and were very comfortable, although I did find then a touch too lean for my taste. I have read reviews for the Sennheiser that would contradict the "lean" comment, so as ever, it really is all about having a listen yourself and allow your own ears to judge. (I think my ears have spent too many hours behind 18" bass bins in the past, so cannot be fully trusted)

I was actually thinking about getting some new headphones myself, although maybe not just at the moment. Here in the deepest south, I guess I'm lucky in that I can listen to a good range of headphones with little more than a half hour drive from home. The draw back is that house prices are about three times higher here, so not many people have any cash left over to buy anything.
Yes I have no complaints living up north as my disposable income means I can spend cash on ridiculous items of hifi Big Grin

My mates look in total disbelief when they find out how much my kit cost ........ Hey it's a hobby Big Grin
(22-Aug-2015, 09:26)nkbg Wrote: As far as I understand the 200 does not support digital out so won't be able to connect a device that takes in digital input.

I'm pretty sure it does...you can configure the RCA connector next to the AES/EBU as a digital output.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(22-Aug-2015, 13:05)thumb5 Wrote:
(22-Aug-2015, 09:26)nkbg Wrote: As far as I understand the 200 does not support digital out so won't be able to connect a device that takes in digital input.

I'm pretty sure it does...you can configure the RCA connector next to the AES/EBU as a digital output.

Yes, in the D200 there is a Dout next to the AES/EBU. In the D400 this output is used to connect the Master and Companion Units.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I thought there was a way, in fact I already have my Cd transport connected digitally so does this mean I can't have any other. Suppose it depends on how it is connected ....... No wonder I struggle Big Grin
(22-Aug-2015, 14:50)Womaz Wrote: I thought there was a way, in fact I already have my Cd transport connected digitally so does this mean I can't have any other. Suppose it depends on how it is connected ....... No wonder I struggle  Big Grin

I assume (maybe wrongly) that you are using a digital S/PDIF cable into that input and have it configured as a Digital input (that particular input can be configured as a digital input or output). If so you could move your CD player to the next input (that next to the line input pair) instead and use the Dout for another purpose. Also you can configure the Line input pair to become 2 separate digital inputs if you only require digital. Hope this all makes sense Smile.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK