Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphone amp - help please
(22-Aug-2015, 13:05)thumb5 Wrote:
(22-Aug-2015, 09:26)nkbg Wrote: As far as I understand the 200 does not support digital out so won't be able to connect a device that takes in digital input.

I'm pretty sure it does...you can configure the RCA connector next to the AES/EBU as a digital output.

You're correct! 

I've been using an RCA-XLR cable to go between the master and companion so never thought about this as an option.
• Devialet 400 + Magico Q1
Thanks for all the help and posts on this subject.

I have been researching the HP amp that I already have connected to the 200 and it is very highly regarded by Stereophile and a few other magazines , with good comments on the power to drive headphones. So I have decided to get the headphones first and see how They work with the amp.
Really fancy the HE1000 but they are very new and price at £2200 is at top of my budget so might wait a few months. There might be a few more local dealers stock them by then and I cam then demo them. Mind even then I really feel a home demo is needed ........more relaxed and more time.

Steve
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
HE1000s are really really nice. I've heard them with a Chord Hugo. Have the HE6s at home driven by a Violectric V200 amp.

The other headphone I might suggest is the Fostex TH900, they sound almost as good just as if not more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
• Devialet 400 + Magico Q1
Just an update for anyone interested. I have just ordered the Auralic Taurus MK2 headphone amp. I will use this with my AKGs for a month or so and then I will start the hunt for the headphones. As I say auditioning up here is hard. I initially had a shortlist of HE1000, HD800 or LCD-3, but the more I read and research I may go for a lower price alternative to these, maybe a cheaper HIFIMan model or the Senn HD650 OR HD700. The HD650 do seem to have a very good following.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I can offer some of my experience of hunting for headphones, I listened extensively to a number of headphones including HD800, HIFIMan (the house sound seemed to bright/lightweight for my tastes) and the Audeze range as an upgrade to my HD650.

Firstly I would say that the HD650 are a fantastic pair of headphones, but the extra expense of the headphones I auditioned to replace them was always justified in my opinion (taking into account the law of diminishing returns of course!). There really was a big jump in performance.

I found the HD800 far to sterile and bright and require very careful matching with the amp, I was using my Chord Hugo and it didn't suit my tastes. In the end I came down to the Audeze LCD-X and LCD3 and after a lot of back to back listening I chose the LCD-X as I found them to be less laid back, more exciting, faster and with more impact. The LCD3 mids where magical but in the end just a little too relaxed in their presentation. I would have been happy with either however and a dream set up would be to have both for different moods/types of music.

The HE1000 were not available when I auditioned so I can't comment but they are another jump up the price ladder I believe and bring them into a similar price range as the Stax 007/009 electrostatics.
(23-Sep-2015, 14:33)MattC Wrote: I can offer some of my experience of hunting for headphones, I listened extensively to a number of headphones including HD800, HIFIMan (the house sound seemed to bright/lightweight for my tastes) and the Audeze range as an upgrade to my HD650.

Firstly I would say that the HD650 are a fantastic pair of headphones, but the extra expense of the headphones I auditioned to replace them was always justified in my opinion (taking into account the law of diminishing returns of course!).  There really was a big jump in performance.

I found the HD800 far to sterile and bright and require very careful matching with the amp, I was using my Chord Hugo and it didn't suit my tastes.  In the end I came down to the Audeze LCD-X and LCD3 and after a lot of back to back listening I chose the LCD-X as I found them to be less laid back, more exciting, faster and with more impact.  The LCD3 mids where magical but in the end just a little too relaxed in their presentation.  I would have been happy with either however and a dream set up would be to have both for different moods/types of music.

The HE1000 were not available when I auditioned so I can't comment but they are another jump up the price ladder I believe and bring them into a similar price range as the Stax 007/009 electrostatics.

Thanks for your input. The Audeze range are actually a brand I can audition as a fairy local dealer stocks them. However I have read that they are a tad uncomfortable as they are a heavy headphone. They also appear to have a reliability issue with many units being returned.
I will probably shell out for a more costly model as I will always wonder what if, if I dont , if that makes sense.
The problem is I will struggle to audition before buying although one dealer said he could maybe courier a pair of HE-1000 up to me for a day or so.
After extensive reading and forum visiting ( I know this is not as good as a home audition, but its best i can do ) my order of preference is HE-1000, HD800 and then LCD-3.
The amp arrives today so really looking forward to hearing it with my Q701s as they are a decent headphone
(23-Sep-2015, 14:33)MattC Wrote: I can offer some of my experience of hunting for headphones, I listened extensively to a number of headphones including HD800, HIFIMan (the house sound seemed to bright/lightweight for my tastes) and the Audeze range as an upgrade to my HD650.

Firstly I would say that the HD650 are a fantastic pair of headphones, but the extra expense of the headphones I auditioned to replace them was always justified in my opinion (taking into account the law of diminishing returns of course!).  There really was a big jump in performance.

I found the HD800 far to sterile and bright and require very careful matching with the amp, I was using my Chord Hugo and it didn't suit my tastes.  In the end I came down to the Audeze LCD-X and LCD3 and after a lot of back to back listening I chose the LCD-X as I found them to be less laid back, more exciting, faster and with more impact.  The LCD3 mids where magical but in the end just a little too relaxed in their presentation.  I would have been happy with either however and a dream set up would be to have both for different moods/types of music.

Matt do you use the Chord Hugo through the Devialet?
Matt do you use the Chord Hugo through the Devialet?
[/quote]

No I have Phantoms so there is no way to use the DAC part of the Hugo with them as they only have an optical digital input or wifi/Ethernet. It's a shame as the DAC on the Hugo is simply amazing, mind you the phantoms are too bad either.
I've simplified my entire system, getting rid of my Naim systems and use Hugo for headphones at home and at work and the Phantoms for round the house listening.
I did consider the Hugo before plumping for the auralic Taurus , but I thought that using that with the dev 200 may be a bit of overkill. So focused on amplification rather than DAC. Thanks for the input most helpful
Just an update for all the people who might be interested.
My dem HE1000 arrive tomorrow so today my local dealer let me take the HD800s away for a few days. They are a brand new pair and he says they will sound better after 72 hours or so.
One concern I had was that I would not find much difference from my Q701s as I am 52 year old and ears probably not what they used to be.
Wow though straight out of the box. Soundstage soundstage detail detail and clarity. Absolutely different league to my 701s. They actually have a similar type sound to the 701s but just do it much better. When I put the 701s back on its like I have a cotton bud stuck in my ear.
I am no headphone expert like some on here and that’s why I see your advice. The jump up in SQ has taken me completely by surprise.
Slightly bright at times but I am hoping that will go with the burn in, and only one cable and no balanced cable are my only moans. Although HD800 may be better on standard anyway I have no idea.
The HE1000 arrive tomorrow and are double the price! So that will be interesting.
I know now that I will be buying some new headphones ………just time will tell which ones.