Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware update 1.3.0.x
(15-Sep-2015, 20:18)Butuz Wrote: Found another bug in 1.3.0.x

Optical input to Dialog keeps randomly reversing left and right channels.

So far I haven't spotted any pattern to when it does it.  It just does it.

Cure?  Switch to another input, then switch back.  Fixed.  Till the next time....

Will report this and the night mode horrors to devialet tomorrow.

How do you notice this?

I mean, you'd really have to know your music to notice something like that, I assume... Confused
(21-Sep-2015, 07:15)karebe Wrote:
(21-Sep-2015, 02:16)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(09-Sep-2015, 22:42)karebe Wrote: The new firmware and Spark are real improvements. The user interface of Spark ist much better than before. In the beginning I have changed a lot the sources and there was no way to change the description than setting the system up. Now it can be done without a setup. Still no hissing, no delay with the sound of movies when I use my BD player. Still delay problems with my DVD player and with 192/24 via Toslink. It seems that this version is more stable. After switching the power plug with Dialog and Phantoms on they are found in seconds.

But I have found two flaws: The slider with the current position and length of a track freezes sometimes. Until yesterday Spark showed unknown artist and unknown album on my Windows 10 PC when I streamed from Qobuz. Today only the album is unknown. Let's see what happens tomorrow ...

I like the the new kind of volume control. It is much more precisly adjustable at lower volumes. At higher volumes I don't need so many steps because than I can hear as loud as I want as the government is not at home. Seriously, in my mind the new volume control is good. Maybe more steps in the louder regions would be reasonable. But overall better than before.

The sound is as phenomenal as ever. I am still happy with my Phantoms.

Hi, karebe

So, you're saying that when you play a BD disc on a BD player, you get no optical delay, but when you play a DVD disc, on a DVD player (a separate component?) you get optical delay?

What about optical output from TV when no player is involved? Do you get delay like that?

Do you get delay on lower res than 192/24? Wait...is there video that carries this kind of audio (192/24)? I'm asking because I imagine audio delay can only get intolerable when there's video involved?

On a different note: (Optical to Dialog related)

I've been thinking of using a PS3, and output optical audio from PS3, instead of optical output from TV, when using the PS3, but still connect them through HDMI, and select the optical in the PS3 settings. And only use optical out from the TV when not involving the PS3. I plan to use an optical switcher.

Is that a normal setup?

Thanks.

Hi Dvlt PhD,

There is no delay with my BD player, streaming from NAS or directly from TV. 96/24 is no problem. At first I have had TV and BD player directly optical connected to the Phantoms. But at night I have to prefer my headphone when I am watching a movie or TV or listening to music. So the BD player and TV go first to the headphone amplifier which is optical connected to a Phantom and via USB from the Aries. Only the Aries and the DDH-1 are connected to the Phantoms. The connection of the Aries is redundant because of its connection to the DDH-1. But I wanted a direct path from it to the Phantom.The optical input of the Dialog is not used.

I use an HDMI splitter to separate the audio signal from the HDMI cable of the BD player. So I can get more than 48/16.

I have tried DVDs and there was a significant delay of seconds. But in an totally different environment. It was a Pioneer DV-737 DVD player and a 70 kg Panasonic tube TV (to heavy to throw it away) at my second home. The Pioneer was directly connected to one of the Phantoms. I have also tried Raumfeld speakers and the result was even worse.

Your plan to connect the PS3 optical with your Phantom is great. I think your described scenario is not unusual. I don't know if PS3s optical output for the AV signal supports more than 48/16. Usually AV digital output is limited to 48/16 because of paranoia. It should not be possible to record the sound in original quality. In that case you should consider an HDMI splitter.

Thanks, karebe

Interesting... I see...it makes sense that you want to use HDMI splitter because you want to put to good use your higher res files, plus because you have the extra components that you need to use, that also have HDMI inputs...

Right now, I don't have extra components, to use HDMI inputs, for higher res files, etc. So, optical will have to do, for now.

Any reason you're avoiding the optical input from Dialog? Does it have to do with you reading these forums too much, or from own experience? Smile

Good to know that my plan is great. Is my plan better this way, than if I output optical from TV, instead of the PS3, when I'm using the PS3? Or should I stick with outputting audio optical directly from PS3 to Dialog/Phantom? What I can see is that if I output optical only from TV, whether I'm using the PS3 or not, I won't need 2 optical cables in the end, so I might not need an optical splitter for now....Unless outputting optical from TV is worse than outputting optical from PS3.... I'm not sure of what the benefits are...

Thanks, again.

Dvlt PhD
Thanks for the effort, and tips, karebe. Smile
(22-Sep-2015, 19:10)karebe Wrote:
(22-Sep-2015, 17:56)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(21-Sep-2015, 07:15)karebe Wrote: Hi Dvlt PhD,

There is no delay with my BD player, streaming from NAS or directly from TV. 96/24 is no problem. At first I have had TV and BD player directly optical connected to the Phantoms. But at night I have to prefer my headphone when I am watching a movie or TV or listening to music. So the BD player and TV go first to the headphone amplifier which is optical connected to a Phantom and via USB from the Aries. Only the Aries and the DDH-1 are connected to the Phantoms. The connection of the Aries is redundant because of its connection to the DDH-1. But I wanted a direct path from it to the Phantom.The optical input of the Dialog is not used.

I use an HDMI splitter to separate the audio signal from the HDMI cable of the BD player. So I can get more than 48/16.

I have tried DVDs and there was a significant delay of seconds. But in an totally different environment. It was a Pioneer DV-737 DVD player and a 70 kg Panasonic tube TV (to heavy to throw it away) at my second home. The Pioneer was directly connected to one of the Phantoms. I have also tried Raumfeld speakers and the result was even worse.

Your plan to connect the PS3 optical with your Phantom is great. I think your described scenario is not unusual. I don't know if PS3s optical output for the AV signal supports more than 48/16. Usually AV digital output is limited to 48/16 because of paranoia. It should not be possible to record the sound in original quality. In that case you should consider an HDMI splitter.

Thanks, karebe

Interesting... I see...it makes sense that you want to use HDMI splitter because you want to put to good use your higher res files, plus because you have the extra components that you need to use, that also have HDMI inputs...

Right now, I don't have extra components, to use HDMI inputs, for higher res files, etc. So, optical will have to do, for now.

Any reason you're avoiding the optical input from Dialog? Does it have to do with you reading these forums too much, or from own experience? Smile

Good to know that my plan is great. Is my plan better this way, than if I output optical from TV, instead of the PS3, when I'm using the PS3? Or should I stick with outputting audio optical directly from PS3 to Dialog/Phantom? What I can see is that if I output optical only from TV, whether I'm using the PS3 or not, I won't need 2 optical cables in the end, so I might not need an optical splitter for now....Unless outputting optical from TV is worse than outputting optical from PS3.... I'm not sure of what the benefits are...

Thanks, again.

Dvlt PhD

Hi Dvlt PhD,

Those are all good questions. But I think I can't help you with them. I don't know how your TV treats the signal. Just test the SQ and trust your own senses. If you feel OK with your current solution so leave it like it is. Or if you think you need more flexibility than buy an optical switch and test it. And if you want a second optical output you could consider buying a Dialog.

I don't use the optical input of the Dialog because of practical reasons. Last week I've got my "Branches" and I connected them with other than Devialets optical cables. I just don't want the extra effort disassembling and reassembling one of my Branches when I need the third optical connection. I used the optical input of the Dialog already without any issues. At the beginning you couldn't use it at all. Then it was buggy. But now there is no difference to the other optical inputs

The only HDMI I use is from BD player to TV and in between the HDMI audio splitter.

It was a pleasure for me trying to help you.

Well, I'm taking this thread a little off road, aren't I? Well, everyone is moving on to 1.4, so I guess it's fine...

After a day of thinking, and researching, I'm starting to understand more what you meant by using an HDMI splitter.

But, how do you know that your HDMI splitter is outputting higher resolution, and how higher?
Do you use an active HDMI splitter? When I asked support about this optical subject, Devialet replied saying to get an active splitter, and avoid a passive one.

Which HDMI splitter do you use? Smile

Thanks.
(24-Sep-2015, 08:56)karebe Wrote: As you can see I have just to look at my headphone amp. Input and output sampling rate are the same.  So it is not higher than the signal from the source. It could be if I connect the amp to my PC. But that's another story.

I use an active splitter from delayCon. It costs about 50 €. 3D is no problem and DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD are supported. It is not nice but you can't see it behind the TV.

Thank, karebe.

By higher, I meant higher than what PS3 optical would let you output.

If I play audio CD only, on the PS3, would I benefit from deleyCon?

Thanks.