Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM seems broken
So - did a factory reset (pressing the front button for 5 seconds) - then uploaded a completely new configuration.
Finally SAM seems to work and make a difference (tried for example the song Angel by Massive Attack) - though the difference between SAM on / off respectively 0% and 100% is not that big.
As others have already stated maybe there are some problems (migration of the data to SAM2) affecting certain speakers. Don't know if Devialet did this by intention - but hopefully they are investigating this - especially as B&W speakers is a very popular brand among music lovers all over the world.
(09-Sep-2015, 17:07)Axel Wrote:
(09-Sep-2015, 13:48)markush Wrote: For me too - bass control does have an immediate, though SAM obviously (even at 100%) doesn't have a difference at all.
Unfortunately my first Devialet 120 experience with the B&W 804 Diamond is with 8.1.3, so I have no comparison to former firmware versions.
Hope Devialte is investigating into this.

Try and get hold of some generated tones below 40hz and try these with SAM switched off then on. I have Nordosdt setup and tuning disc which has a set of tones and which I have used to hear the effect of SAM and to prove that it is working.

Great idea, thanks, I will try it out when I can.

However, whatever the result, it is still true that SAM1 and SAM2 are completely different. What's going on there?
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
Started using the Devialet just with 8.1.3 - so cannot compare to 7.x firmware. Though after factory reset and using a new configuration file - SAM has an effect - though not that visible between on/off resp. 0%/100%
But have to test more with very low frequencies to get a better idea.
(09-Sep-2015, 18:55)markush Wrote: Started using the Devialet just with 8.1.3 - so cannot compare to 7.x firmware. Though after factory reset and using a new configuration file - SAM has an effect - though not that visible between on/off resp. 0%/100%

Looking at the SAM profile for your B&W804Ds, the before and after waveforms aren't that dissimilar, also your speakers already go down to 28.4 Hz and with SAM down to 17.8Hz. Perhaps that is why the difference is fairly subtle?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(09-Sep-2015, 19:56)Axel Wrote:
(09-Sep-2015, 18:55)markush Wrote: Started using the Devialet just with 8.1.3 - so cannot compare to 7.x firmware. Though after factory reset and using a new configuration file - SAM has an effect - though not that visible between on/off resp. 0%/100%

Looking at the SAM profile for your B&W804Ds, the before and after waveforms aren't that dissimilar, also your speakers already go down to 28.4 Hz and with SAM down to 17.8Hz. Perhaps that is why the difference is fairly subtle?
This was a question I wanted to ask. I looked at a good number of different waveforms and some speakers appear to need less "processing" than others. I know many of you are experiencing lesser effects with Sam v2 but how many have also factored the waveforms into your considerations. 

Aside: would anyone choose a speaker based on the waveforms?  Big Grin
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
The waveform graphs are the same for SAM V2 as they were for SAM V1?

They are slightly bonkers graphs anyway, in my opinion. They might tell you something, but I feel that they are about 50% physics, 50% marketing.
Would be great to get a feedback by Devialet to bring some light into this.
Do the waveforms differ from SAM V1 to V2 and if not that much, why do people hear a bigger difference with firmware 7.x / SAM1 ?
(09-Sep-2015, 22:06)markush Wrote: Would be great to get a feedback by Devialet to bring some light into this.
Do the waveforms differ from SAM V1 to V2 and if not that much, why do people hear a bigger difference with firmware 7.x / SAM1 ?

This is probably because Devialet have changed how SAM works in V2, but not bothered to update the waveform images.  This is from a past post from Oxford Audio:

With SAM V1, the algorithm for correction was apparently fairly inefficient and this has been improved with SAM v2, this should allow for more accurate phase correction and should explain why some have found staging performance to have improved going to FW8. With SAM v1, Dynamic compression occurred past an arbitrary level that had been set "BY EAR", I had found that with certain speakers this had seemed fairly overprotective in artificially reducing LF output with some recordings at relatively low levels. SAM v2 only restricts LF output if the desired volume with cause the LF drivers to reach or exceed the X-max of the drive unit and to my ears sounds much better than v1 with some of the speakers that I had been most disappointed by, most notably the Martin Logan Theos which had previously seemed to have had all their life sucked out by SAM.
Also from OAC:
"Dynamic compression is now based upon signal as opposed to volume. You should find deep bass at high levels".
It's interesting isn't it. I asked the question many times to 3 or 4 Devialet representatives in Munich. Each time I got the same answer: there is no difference between SAM1 and SAM2.

Eventually one of the Devialet employees did concede that the algorithm in SAM2 was more efficient but at the same time it was made clear that this would not materially affect existing SAM users, myself included. 

Since then almost conflicting messages from Devialet (for e.g. see the white paper that was issued at Munich), new v8 SAM profiles (does it matter that my Sashas aren't v8?) and then reports like the one we got from OAC.

Then we have all this anecdotal evidence from some Devialet users that the (SAM) behaviour of their speakers have changed since v8. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK