Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Phase Difference
Hi,

I noticed that with 8.1.3FW, we can set the phase to positive or negative. What is the difference and its use for?

Gary
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

It's been available on every firmware version I've known. Some recordings and also some equipment are not in the right phase. As far as I know, what it comes down to is that when there was a positive pressure on the microphone during recording, there should be a push coming from your speakers. If there is a twist somewhere in the chain, the speaker will pull instead. I've played a bit with it in Audirvana but could never hear a difference. I'm not even sure whether it worked. Give it a try and see if you can hear a diffenerce. I guess it would change the soundstaging from deeper to more up front and vice versa.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
It's been there since the beginning. The D-Premier's remote has a button for it by default.

Google for absolute phase or absolute polarity to see what it does, what it's for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_phase
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I came across the need to switch the phase when doing the Audyssee setup. Using the Devialet in bypass mode (for cinema setup) I had to switch the phase for the front-speakers. After that Audyssee correctly was able to finish the measurement.
So does this mean it's possible to provide deeper bass when the phase is correct?
Does this also mean that I should change the phase too for normal stereo usage - hence, when using the Devialet via WiFi etc.?
(08-Oct-2015, 15:43)markush Wrote: I came across the need to switch the phase when doing the Audyssee setup. Using the Devialet in bypass mode (for cinema setup) I had to switch the phase for the front-speakers. After that Audyssee correctly was able to finish the measurement.
So does this mean it's possible to provide deeper bass when the phase is correct?
Does this also mean that I should change the phase too for normal stereo usage - hence, when using the Devialet via WiFi etc.?

In a multiple speaker layout, if the main speakers and sub are out of phase they will partially cancel, so changing the phase of one of them will remove the cancellation and the bass will be more.
In a stereo the phase only effects the bass (and stereo image) if one of the speakers is connected in the opposite phase to the other, which is a mistake connecting the speakers and can not be changed by the absolute phase switch.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire