Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions
Hello, I'm new hear and this is my first post, so please excuse any ignorance I may display.

I'm just about pulling the trigger on a Devialet 400 but have some concerns.

1st I've been reading about the issue re noise on the MC Phono input. I run a Ortofon Cadenza Black mounted in a Origin Live Encounter MkIIIA arm on a modified Technics SL1210 M5G TT. Currently this is plumbed into the MC input of a Rega Aria Phonostage. There is little hiss unless wound up to full volume but I'm reading on here that a few of you have some serious concerns on this. 

2nd I want to convert two of the RCA connections or the AES/EBU for stereo headphone output. Have any of you guys done this and what connector /cable did you use.

3rd I use a WD NAS over my home network which has all my ripped CD's in flac on it. It appears the NAS cannot be connected directly to the 400 and would still need to have a streamer of some sort connected. Have any of you guys found a way round this, ideally just connecting via wired Ethernet.

Regards
Hi Clive.  I also use an Ortofon Cadenza Black.  This is fed directly to the Devialet phono stage.  With a digital input, the Devialet is absolutely silent, by this I mean if you pause a track, turn up the volume to very high levels, you hear nothing.  With the MC phono input, if you turn the volume up high when not actually playing a record, yes, you do get some hiss.  it is not excessive, and is absolutely unnoticeable when actually playing a record.  I did try a Tom Evans Groove external phono stage for a while, but this offered worse sound quality and the background noise was just as high.  In summary, the Devialet MC phono stage is excellent.

Regarding your other points, if you search this forum you will find lots of information regarding using a NAS direct and connecting headphones.
(25-Sep-2015, 14:51)Clive197 Wrote: Hello, I'm new hear and this is my first post, so please excuse any ignorance I may display.

I'm just about pulling the trigger on a Devialet 400 but have some concerns.

1st I've been reading about the issue re noise on the MC Phono input. I run a Ortofon Cadenza Black mounted in a Origin Live Encounter MkIIIA arm on a modified Technics SL1210 M5G TT. Currently this is plumbed into the MC input of a Rega Aria Phonostage. There is little hiss unless wound up to full volume but I'm reading on here that a few of you have some serious concerns on this. 

2nd I want to convert two of the RCA connections or the AES/EBU for stereo headphone output. Have any of you guys done this and what connector /cable did you use.

3rd I use a WD NAS over my home network which has all my ripped CD's in flac on it. It appears the NAS cannot be connected directly to the 400 and would still need to have a streamer of some sort connected. Have any of you guys found a way round this, ideally just connecting via wired Ethernet.

Regards

Hi Clive,

Welcome to Devialet Chat.

On your 1st point, I use an Audio Technica AT OC9 Mk111 MC Cartridge direct into my D400 Phono input with excellent results. Yes there is a little hiss at extremely high volumes (far too high for normal listening that is), but certainly nothing that I can hear at normal levels (around -23db for me at the Phono input). Like my AT Cartridge, the Ortofon is pre configured in the Phono settings on the Devialet Configurator, so easy to set up.

I am afraid that I can offer no advice on your points 2 & 3 as I do not use headphones or a NAS Drive.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Clive, Hello again,

You have probably looked at the 'Hiss on Phono' thread on the Vinyl page, where you will see a number of contradictory opinions (often from the same poster), admittedly for my experience I have used a very low output moving coil - 0.2mv.

I have a D200 - Chord Signature cables and Spendor D7 speakers (familiar?). Unless I have a poor and underperforming amp - not impossible - I can assure you that at -30db output the Devialet hisses like a good'un. Not "I put my head next to the speakers and I can hear something" but from 4 metres away it sounds like the tyre noise of passing traffic on a wet road.

If you want a one box solution - well two boxes - the last thing that you will need is to have to consider finding and buying an expensive SUT.

Once again, if the quality of the MC phono is a deal-breaker, you really must listen to the amp at home with your cartridge, or at the very least, if you can, persuade your dealer to configure a D400 for the Ortofon through speakers at least as sensitive as your Spendors.

Regards,Sid
I ran your Ortofon configuration this morning, it is quieter than my very LOMC, but I can still hear hissing at -22db from my listening seat. It is still noisier than an active phono amp that I can use into the line input. Up to you to decide what you can live with.
I tried the same this morning, easy for me as I normally use a Cadenza Black. Similar results to ovo I would say. Somewhere between -20dB and -30dB the hiss goes from being clearly audible, to can I hear it or not? Higher volumes than -20dB and the hiss can be clearly heard.

As posted previously, in normal listening to vinyl, I am not aware of the hiss and it does not bother me that much. Having said that, the fact that the hiss is there must be making some kind of negative impact on SQ, whether or not you are fully aware of it. This reminds me that trying a step up transformer remains an uncompleted item on my overly long "to do" list.
Confused,

I would say that you notice it most when you turn off the Devialet or change input from the phono: you can hear the absence of hiss as the ambient noise becomes quieter, if that makes any sense?

I agree, that as it is there and is audible it must affect the SQ, particularly as all the digital inputs and the line input are very quiet.

It depends on how much it affects your day-to-day listening, and the disappointing aspect is that Devialet have engineered RAM to make an incredibly flexible tool so they must wish the MC phono to be a significant feature .
Is the TT grounded properly? That usually affects hum but on occasion also hiss. What do the folks at Devialet say?
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(26-Sep-2015, 15:48)rwjr44 Wrote: Is the TT grounded properly? That usually affects hum but on occasion also hiss. What do the folks at Devialet say?

Yes, the TT is grounded by connection to the Devialet grounding post.  When I have a free moment, I might try disconnecting the TT altogether, and checking out the hiss then.  I have never corresponded with Devialet on this subject, although I might do this once my current SAM related query is cleared!
I've got a 250 (an upgraded D-Prem) and the hiss is there on mine.
I tend to listen loud, so it can be noticeable.
I've just disconnected the TT as an experiment to see if the hiss is being picked up between the 250 and the TT, it's not.
With nothing connected into the phono sockets and the ground disconnected, the hiss is still there, but you have to be up at about -15 before it starts to become intrusive. Be interesting to see if anyone else reports the same.