Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 400 owner... setup question
Hi,

I just purchased (2) D 200 that I would like to configure as a 400 (dual mono).  I have a digital link cable (RCA <-> AES).
Do I also need to connect a mini jack cable between the master and slave?  How do the units communicate?

Thanks in advance.
You only need this if you use inputs on the slave and if you use aes input i dont think you can use the inputs on the slave. So in your case the rca-xlr cable is all you need. This cable transmits everything to the slave from the master.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(25-Sep-2015, 17:33)octaviars Wrote: You only need this if you use inputs on the slave and if you use aes input i dont think you can use the inputs on the slave. So in your case the rca-xlr cable is all you need. This cable transmits everything to the slave from the master.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Can't wait to get it setup.
You still need to configure it as master & slave via Le Configurateur, don't you?
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(26-Sep-2015, 07:15)AllenB Wrote: You still need to configure it as master & slave via Le Configurateur, don't you?

Yes you need to make the configuration as a 400 and get two configuration files one for the master and one for the slave.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

I found out there is (or in the meantime perhaps its fixed?) also another reason to plug in the second mini-rca (3.5mm headphone-cable): that connected makes the slave cool after switching off both units. Without this cable connected the slave was still warm all the time but the master was cold. Maybe it has to do the slave was checking for input signals from the master and therefore needed power for this function. But this was back to FW7.1.1 or 7.1.3. Atm i cannot test this bec. waiting for proper power (having voltage-fluctuations till 246V...made me sent back two 200-units caused burned things in switching power board. So now im waiting for a power regenerator before using them again.
But does anybody encountered this too with the disappeared heat on slave when mini-jack is connected with the master? (regardlesss if slave-inputs are set)
Lets assume that is really beeing used for the slave-inputs...makes me think that inputs from the slave are transported to the master with this cable. Shouldn't be it then a silver-cable or something better than a cheap mini-jack from the supermarket? Or maybe its bec. the mini-jacks are like trigger-connectors as well and therefore are able to ckeck signal-input with much less voltage. Any experience around with this?
All is powered by 1x PS Audio P10 on Audioquest NRG-4's. All speakercables are Anticables Level3.
Stereo-Setup:  Roon->Auralic Aries->AQ USB Coffee->Devialet 400->Magico S3
Movie/5.0-Setup: Denon DBT-3313UD->AQ HDMI Diamond->Datasat RS20i->1xDB25>4xXLR Vovox textura IC digital 110Ω AES/EBU custom multipair->D400(Fronts L/R Magico S3), D200(center mono Piega Premium Large), D200(rears L/R Magico S1). The fourth XLR is not used yet (channel 7+8).

This with the remote to the companion and less heat is the first time I see anything on that. This I will try and see if it works.
I dont think that any audiosignals is routed through the remotecable when you use the companions input that only transports signal to change input and which way the signal goes in the rca-rca link-cable between master and slave.

Second system

(23-Feb-2016, 10:18)octaviars Wrote: This with the remote to the companion and less heat is the first time I see anything on that. This I will try and see if it works.
I dont think that any audiosignals is routed through the remotecable when you use the companions input that only transports signal to change input and which way the signal goes in the rca-rca link-cable between master and slave.

So if we use one of the Companion inputs, the signal will travel to the Master in the opposite direction as indicated on the RCA cable. This is not optimal and is against the recommendation of cable manufacturer.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(20-Mar-2016, 16:42)tategoi Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 10:18)octaviars Wrote: This with the remote to the companion and less heat is the first time I see anything on that. This I will try and see if it works.

So if we use one of the Companion inputs, the signal will travel to the Master in the opposite direction as indicated on the RCA cable. This is not optimal and is against the recommendation of cable manufacturer.

IMHO, an educated guess would be the co-axial RCA from master to slave is a one-way communication, that's why when you have inputs on the slave, the mini-jack is needed to send signal from the slave back to the master.
Thanks to this thread I connected my D400 via the 3.5mm cable, configured my D400 to use an input on the slave (digital in my case), and then low and behold I measure lower power consumption. Where previously my D400 used 28W "off", 33W in standby, 53W idle it now uses 18W "off", 22W in standby, 53W idle. So this tip is saving me from wasting 10W "off" and 11W in standby at no cost. It also lowers the temperatures of the units due, I assume, to the lower power consumption. Thanks!