Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed! (Magico S3 or TAD Evolution One?)
(26-Sep-2015, 21:47)mauidan Wrote: Don't buy either until you've heard the Rockport Technologies Atria.

Yes, there's a SAM file for the Atria.

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...udspeakers

Thanks Maudian but it has to be between the S3s and the E1s I'm afraid. These speakers have been offered to me second hand...
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(26-Sep-2015, 19:57)Floyd67 Wrote:
(25-Sep-2015, 19:55)MightyMart Wrote: I've been looking for new speakers and have been in contact with two sellers lately. The first seller is offering me to buy a pair of Magicos S3s, and the second a pair of TAD Evolution Ones. They are both great speakers, sold second hand in great condition and similarly priced when sold as new. However, the TADs are about one third cheaper than the S3s but my current speakers are the Magico S1s and I have been super happy with them. Both speakers are also SAM:ed.

The main reason for my upgrade would be to of course gain more bass, a more physical sound with greater air pressure and an even greater sense of presence in the music.

Which one of these great speakers would you choose and why? Please help me, I can't make up my mind... [Image: undecided.gif]

Have you thought about adding two sub-woofers to give you the extra bass extension? It could be worth doing a comparison first, save you plenty and give you even more enjoyment.
And now you can get subs from the same series too  
http://magico.net/product/ssub.php
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I've been using S3 with a D-Premier for a good while now, its a great speaker and a great match with a Devialet amp. I can't really make the comparison you're looking for since I haven't heard the TAD Evolution One's, other than at a show.

The S3 has a fabulous mid range and treble clarity, really exceptional - my S3's replaced some Raidho C2.1 which have ribbon tweeters but despite this, the S3 is a lot more 'electrostatic like' than the Raidho - they are incredibly transparent. The other thing to say about the S3 (and all Magico's, really) is that the build quality is utterly exceptional, it's made like a Swiss watch. Great pride of ownership.

One thing I would say is that while the bass of the S3 is very controlled and articulate, it's not as deep as some other speakers I've heard, eg. Magico S5. Depending on your room size you may want a sub, depends on your absolute need for low, low bass. For me, its not a necessity.
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
Probably two of the top ten speaker brands in the world along with Wilson, Giya, ... (better not name all my top ten).

If I could not split them on sound quality and condition I'd personally go with the Magico as their main man Alan Wolf is still with them whereas at TAD Andrew Jones has left for pastures new, and one never knows what that might mean.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Have to say having tried and loved the Magico S1's and happened upon a mega bargain pair of S5's they are really like S1's on steroids. Just as clear clean and beautiful sounding but with a real kick to the bottom end. Have had them a year now and they are played almost every day and I swear they are still getting better.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Thank you all for good and friendly advice. I have still not decided what to do though. Huh
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(01-Oct-2015, 19:22)MightyMart Wrote: Thank you all for good and friendly advice. I have still not decided what to do though. Huh

Lovely problem to have though  Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(02-Oct-2015, 11:32)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(01-Oct-2015, 19:22)MightyMart Wrote: Thank you all for good and friendly advice. I have still not decided what to do though. Huh

Lovely problem to have though  Tongue

Guillaume

Yes, but one that could only take place in a so called developed country, which makes it into a non-problem really. However, right now I'm leaning towards the TADs. They are a bit more naturally sounding I think and in the long run that's more important than a high-res or super exact sound in my view.
treatment
- SWEDEN -
Change of plans. The S1s will stay for awhile longer...
treatment
- SWEDEN -
Smile 
(04-Oct-2015, 19:54)MightyMart Wrote: Change of plans. The S1s will stay for awhile longer...

The latest update on the matter. [Image: smile.gif]

My Magico S1s will probably be for sale pretty soon if anyone is interested...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

treatment
- SWEDEN -