Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone own both White and Silver?
Wondering if anyone actually own both white and silver, and thus have been able to compared them extensively with the same music, same placement, and same volume.  At the same volume, can you tell any difference?  And what are they? 

Thanks,
MtnGuy
(26-Sep-2015, 10:01)MountainGuy Wrote: Wondering if anyone actually own both white and silver, and thus have been able to compared them extensively with the same music, same placement, and same volume.  At the same volume, can you tell any difference?  And what are they? 

Thanks,
MtnGuy

Hi
I really don't understand why would someone try to do that test for you...  The best way will be for you to take the current offer of 45 days risk free trial ..get the two phantoms you need, and test them at you own pace.
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
Check the "Phantom white vs silver" thread. It has quite a few opinions about the difference between them...
(26-Sep-2015, 10:01)MountainGuy Wrote: Wondering if anyone actually own both white and silver, and thus have been able to compared them extensively with the same music, same placement, and same volume.  At the same volume, can you tell any difference?  And what are they? 

Thanks,
MtnGuy

In the attached article (in Dutch, but google can translate) the reviewer suggestst that the white phantoms are bit less dynamic, but a bit warmer and a more relaxed listen than the silvers.

http://www.hifi.nl/artikel/23725/Recensi...antom.html
Apple brought out a cheaper version of the iPhone 5s then the 6 rendition came out without a cheaper version. They saw sense so what's the betting that Devialet drop the Phantom White.
the white I demo'd at home was definitely no slouch! Interesting from the white vs silver thread some see a difference whereas to others it's just addition volume and headroom.
Thanks everyone who replied with helpful/constructive comments. I had forgotten about the white vs silver thread. Just reread.

Indeed the interesting thing is that I've heard some say they like Silver better. Others say white. And yet others say no discernible difference. With more Phantoms now in owners' hands, figure it would be interesting to ask again.

Sleach, I'm right now in a country that does not allow google translate (blocked) and I can't find another site that can translate that so I'll have to wait a while until I return to the US to read that article. That article looks to be the most promising one because it looks like they have a pair of white and a pair of silver so they can do extensive tests. Very much appreciate your link. Looking forward to reading it in a while.

Thanks for all your help.

MtnGuy
I've just finished reading the article, and the final conclusion is pretty similar to one of the opinions on the white vs silver thread, that the White gives a slightly more relaxed and balanced sound, and the silvers a more dynamic and powerful sound, with better bass, which is to expect considering the extra power for it. Wink

My personal opinion is, if you can affor it, go to the silvers. I think it's always better having the extra headroom for the bass, specially if you (like me) consider to use it for film watching... Wink (thinking about jurassic park and the likes! Big Grin )
having the additional gain on the silver will I imagine be good demo swaying material. I remember A/B'ing some DACS a few years ago and almost always the preferences of the audience went for those with more output gain and so gave more bang at the same amp volume.
(28-Sep-2015, 14:41)BowlOfPetunias Wrote: having the additional gain on the silver will I imagine be good demo swaying material.  I remember A/B'ing some DACS a few years ago and almost always the preferences of the audience went for those with more output gain and so gave more bang at the same amp volume.

Was the amp gain reduced accordingly so that the A/B were level matched within 0.1 dB?
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France