Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temperature test...
I think running PEMless is huge! But I don't "think" it blanket-trumps anodizing off-the-cuff tho its possible.... but bet the farm? Notta chance! Only reason I say this is because I've done a half dozen PEMectomies over the years but never once one that comes close to the net SQ gain associated with the D200. Truthfully I think the best any of us can do as it relates to "single-biggest improvement" is guess although I totally believe it to be one of the two. Would've been a lot more accurate to know this kind of info if the 200 were done on a piece-meal basis but even then there's the dilemma caused by what happens when you combine the 2nd biggest modification and its better than either of the others individually!?! Which individual component was then the bigger/better enhancement? Bottom line is until an empirical answer comes along the single biggest improvement is what you "want" the single biggest improvement to be. I see a near dead draw between the two potential candidates being discussed here. I still see anodizing as #1 for the simple reason of "when's the last time you saw an internally/externally chrome-plated smartphone? Seriously, think about that a minute! It's not a rhetorical question! Why is that!?! If we liked chrome enough to purchase a serious $$$ hi-fi component, why do smartphone makers shun it like the plague? Do audio guys love chrome but phone tekkies hate it!?! Is it possible all the Apple/Samsung smartphone engineers are morons and just can't find a way to make it work while all Devialet's engineers are prodigies and scoff at sound engineering principles? Is hifi really that different than a smartphone? Why us and not them? I find it a H-U-G-E-L-Y compelling question... always have! But I've yet to see any empirical or bona-fide answer. We're merely guessing about "best" which is ok but only of value if ever resolved empirically. Otherwise we do modifications based on intuitive whimsy, speculation & conjecture. We get complacent, take the easy way out instead of putting in the time/effort. I've always known losing the PEM would help but should I have taken the easy 6-8 hour project, called it a day and closed her up believing that's the single best improvement I could make? I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. Hopefully we can do better than that or at least make an effort rather than accepting the simplest answer or modification as 'biggest' and moving on without the slightest shred of empirical evidence supporting it. I concede in this case it's one or the other. One of the options I have experience with, the other I don't which is the only place I have to pull my "guess" from. And its not the slightest bit more indicative of accuracy than the other option... still remains just a guess.

I think also when we're talking temps we REALLY need to concentrate on some things we use intentionally or by default that influence/affect temps. If someone says my temps are 43/42/45C for A/D/S "after 3 hours" with "DPM off" and "SAM at 60" in a room thats "22C" at a "volume of -22" is great! But when another comes along and says "my temps are 43/42/45C is apples/oranges. How or what exactly are we to compare that with? This has and continues to be a deep ambiguity with reporting temperatures. I still think a poll established for this would go a long way insuring people understand now important, nay CRUCIAL, this complete info is to quality data harvesting.

This last paragraph is NOT directed at the previous temp poster who did an incredible job reporting temps and I hope he interprets my request in the spirit offered. It happens ALL the time and could be so incredibly helpful with additional accompanying data.

Soap box away...
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!