Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audiophile Mains Conditioners and PowerLine Connection (PLC)
Having just had yet another very-far-from-perfect setup experience, it got me wondering if a certain aspect of our equipment setups is the reason for our different perceptions of how smoothly the process goes.

I normally plug my D120 and Dialog into an Isotek Gemini mains block, and sometimes I use it just for the two Phantoms instead. This means I always have an HF data filter between the Dialog and Phantoms, and none of my other powerline networking kit (Devolo) will work when plugged into it.

Devialet gave me this response on the matter:

"....Indeed this will prevent PLC communications between the Phantoms and Dialog, we do not advise on it." 

I always imagined that PLC was merely a kind of "fallback" comms route...not an essential one.

So I ask... has anyone had a faultless setup/resumption experience whilst using a mains filter or conditioner?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I also, would like to know this.

I just purchased this: http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Comp...400-PM.php

If Devialet tells me it won't work, I'll send the Panamax right back, without even open it.

I'd like to know what are Devialet customers using to protect their Phantoms.

Thanks.

Dvlt PhD
Here are my thoughts on this. Maybe someone will point out that this is all wrong.

If you have a filter which cuts out high frequency noise (and high frequency signals) it effectively is a short circuit for high frequency. So HF signals between the Dialog and Phantoms are short circuited, whether or not they plugged into the filter. So a HF filter nearby on the mains is going to limit HF signals over the mains.

The presence of such a filter will offer a low HF impedance to the D and Ps which in turn may be a problem for the signalling circuitry - this depends on the design of the D and Ps hardware. (Imaging the effect of putting a short across speaker wires!)

I had a problem of drop-outs when I moved my Phantoms into a different room from my Dialog. I had thought that the 6 m separation was the problem, but now that you have raised this problem I realise that I had a mains filter working in the room where I had the Phantoms; and the were attached to the same socket as my filter, but not through it.

Mind you, I think having a filter is a waste of time for my mains. When I can be bothered I'll remove it. Any good it did is dwarfed by the improvement brought about by using Phantoms!
(30-Sep-2015, 18:04)Dvlt PhD Wrote: I also, would like to know this.

I just purchased this: http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Comp...400-PM.php

If Devialet tells me it won't work, I'll send the Panamax right back, without even open it.

I'd like to know what are Devialet customers using to protect their Phantoms.

Thanks.

Dvlt PhD

Panamax rejected at delivery by me.

This post by JohnnySix was a sign. I mentioned in another thread that the power cable of the Phantoms was going to be short for my setup...well, buying this was mostly the reason of that shortcoming. I want something like that Isotek .

Electronic equipments must be protected at the mains...

So, if Isotek is filtered...then, what, do we have to look for something that is not filtered?
I've never used any filters of any type on Hi-Fi and don't see the need. The sophisticated switched mode power supply in the Phantom will include sufficient protection anyway (assuming Devialet has done their design work well). If the Phantom uses the mains supply to assist with communication then filters are a no-no. Just plug it into a normal mains block.
I had started to wonder whether the advantage of plugging each Phantom into its own individual mains socket would outweigh a mains conditioner. I will probably try moving the Dialog to an unfiltered mains block... and pray that the Andrew_Brown Theorem is wrong! (Or else Devialet have taken away yet another area of HiFi exploration)
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
JohnnySix,

If you find one that works out for you, can you please share it here? It seems you were on the right path with the Isotek.

Thanks,

Dvlt PhD
I don't think I'm seeing any improvements in Set-up at the moment with Dialog AND Phantoms both plugged into unfiltered main outlets. However, my Isotek Gemini mains block is still plugged in, so I will try unplugging that completely.
It still puzzles me that the Dialog DOES generally work quite well through the Isotek (once setup) - even though my mains sockets are auto-powered off every night. I can easily resume playing music through Phantoms when I get home from work.
I wonder then exactly HOW essential the PLC route is? (Devialet didn't tell me exactly how it is utilised).
Oops... I've just found out that this thread is really just re-treading old ground furrowed by f1eng 4 months ago: see "Dialog Connection Protocol"

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1446