Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital 75ohm BNC to XLR input (AES/EBU)
I know that this is possible to go rca to xlr on the Devialet AES input but does anyone know what this might bring over just the regular digital rca input more than the part of the sensitivity on the input?

This text is from Devialets homepage.

Quote:If your player and your Devialet are equipped with an AES/EBU output, we highly recommend using it to interconnect your devices. The RCA inputs are similarly qualitative but can be more sensitive to the output level of the source. Therefore, we advise you, whenever possible, to use an RCA-to-XLR hybrid cable or an RCA/XLR adapter to connect the player's digital out to the AES/EBU input. In both cases, please use a genuine 110Ω or 75Ω digital cable to link both devices.
I am maybe going to connect a mediaplayer with BNC output and was thinking of using a BNC-BNC cable with a Neutrik BNC to XLR adapter in the Devialet, a BNC to BNC cable is easier to get and is easyer to sell again I think than a BNC to xlr cable.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(01-Oct-2015, 15:30)octaviars Wrote: I know that this is possible to go rca to xlr on the Devialet AES input but does anyone know what this might bring over just the regular digital rca input more than the part of the sensitivity on the input?

Quote:If your player and your Devialet are equipped with an AES/EBU output, we highly recommend using it to interconnect your devices. The RCA inputs are similarly qualitative but can be more sensitive to the output level of the source. Therefore, we advise you, whenever possible, to use an RCA-to-XLR hybrid cable or an RCA/XLR adapter to connect the player's digital out to the AES/EBU input. In both cases, please use a genuine 110Ω or 75Ω digital cable to link both devices.
I am maybe going to connect a mediaplayer with BNC output and was thinking of using a BNC-BNC cable with a Neutrik BNC to XLR adapter in the Devialet, a BNC to BNC cable is easier to get and is easyer to sell again I think than a BNC to xlr cable.

If you're thinking of a Naim streamer they come with a BNC to RCA converter which works just fine Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(01-Oct-2015, 21:57)PhilP Wrote:
(01-Oct-2015, 15:30)octaviars Wrote: I know that this is possible to go rca to xlr on the Devialet AES input but does anyone know what this might bring over just the regular digital rca input more than the part of the sensitivity on the input?

If you're thinking of a Naim streamer they come with a BNC to RCA converter which works just fine Wink

It is a Naim but I am more into going to the xlr input on the Devialet that is what I am wondering about. If a unit has BNC that is the way to go, the only true 75ohm connection so converting it to rca is not as good.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

Would appreciate thoughts on which of the following options would be better:

SPDIF output => SPDIF to AES/XLR adaptor => 110 Ohm cable => AES input

OR

SPDIF output => 75 Ohm cable => SPDIF to AES/XLR adaptor => AES input?

Thanks.
(02-Oct-2015, 10:38)nfnc Wrote: Would appreciate thoughts on which of the following options would be better:

SPDIF output => SPDIF to AES/XLR adaptor => 110 Ohm cable => AES input

OR

SPDIF output => 75 Ohm cable => SPDIF to AES/XLR adaptor => AES input?

Thanks.

When I got my link (master->slave) cable from Cabledyne I talked to them about this and they said that if the output is 75ohm it is best to go with that cable and convert it at the input of the Devialet so this must apply to the xlr input from a source aswell.

I have tried both in my set up between my Devialets and I could not hear any differense between 75ohm or 110ohm cable so I went on what Cabledyne told me and ordered a custom rca->75ohm coax->xlr cable and I am very happy with it.

Second system

I have for sale a CARDAS CLEAR XLR INPUT ADAPTER (PR)
Female RCA to Male XLR

It is brand new, unused, and is the best Cardas adaptor for RCA female to XLR male.

They come as a pair, and I used the other one for the master-slave link to connect a coaxial cable from the master
to the AES/EBU input of the slave.

The price will be half of what I paid for the pair + shipping.

Let me know if interested.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
Thanks, octaviars.
Miro, so if I understood correctly, you took 75ohm cable with XLR adapter and connect master and slave ?
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Not Miro, I bought a cable from DH Labs. The D-110 which is a 110 Ohm AES/EBU cable. And at my request they modified one end with an RCA connector. I use this as the connection between master and slave. Very pleased with the sound quality.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D110.html

You would need to email them in regards to the modification. I have found they are great to work with. Depending on length cost was south of $100.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(19-Nov-2015, 05:16)baddog Wrote: Not Miro, I bought a cable from DH Labs. The D-110 which is a 110 Ohm AES/EBU cable. And at my request they modified one end with an RCA connector. I use this as the connection between master and slave. Very pleased with the sound quality.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D110.html

You would need to email them in regards to the modification. I have found they are great to work with. Depending on length cost was south of $100.

I did the same a few weeks ago. DH Labs were great. Cable arrived quickly and sounds great.