Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me? .... (sound quality)
(08-Oct-2015, 09:53)f1eng Wrote:
(08-Oct-2015, 08:00)michirishi Wrote: It doubt that Phantom only shines with some music. This would mean that Phantom cannot reproduce some kinds music as good as other genres. In my opinion, Phantom is just doing what it should: reproduction of whatever music it is feed with.
I have listened to all sorts of music and to me there is only one thing clear: some recordings sound better than other.

There's stereo albums with a very detailed, wide and clear image. And there are recordings that sound dull, deformed or like they are behind some thick curtain.
There's even some very nice old recordings (even 78rpm or mono) that hiss and crack, but still give a nice atmosphere. But even some modern digital recordings sound awful. With pumped up bass or ever changing channel separation.
Some full orchestral music shines, while other just doesn't sound as good. Same accounts for vocal, rock, pop, electronic music.

It is more clear to me than ever before that the quality of the recording can be the weak bracelet in the chain. But it's definitely not Phantom.

I completely agree with all of this.

The difference in quality between different versions is often so much greater than between competant hifi systems it is not funny. Being obsessive about the SQ of the hifi is often a bit pointless for classical recordings!

That was exactly my point from page 1 of this thread.

Some recordings sound great and others terrible. And like others said, I know this time its not the equipment. My Phantoms sound better than my B&W Diamonds ever could. Period. And yet, some classical music still sound flat on the Phantoms.

When this thread started I decided to listen to Crown Imperial from a new recording I have just bought. BOOM!! It was fantastic. I was left scratching my head as to why anybody could say the Phantoms are not good for classical music. Yet the same piece on a different recording was a dull as ditch water. So although my experiment is scientific proof of anything, I'm sure the recording has a lot to do with the perceived sound quality. As an old proverbs states: "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"
I only have one Phantom at the moment, so probably two would ofcourse help spread a wide orchestral sound stage,
but I have listened to recordnings (which I know are good) that jsut feel limited on a single phantom (whilst other music works)
(08-Oct-2015, 15:40)ChalleB Wrote: I only have one Phantom at the moment, so probably two would ofcourse help spread a wide orchestral sound stage,
but I have listened to recordnings (which I know are good) that jsut feel limited on a single phantom (whilst other music works)

ChalleB - I've just noticed that you only have 1 Phantom!!!. Well that explains everything.I would be suprised that a single speaker from ANY BRAND could give the dispersion, depth and placement when playing CLASSICAL music that you or anybody would like. Agreed, some music by its nature can easily be played through a single speaker (anything that sounds good on a 'beat box') but classical music is meant to go through two speakers.

My advice, don't judge the product based on a single Phantom (btw - what do you have? white or silver?) playing classical music. That's like judging a Ferrari limited to half its horse power and wondering why it drives like a Ford. Horses for courses, mate. Get a second one and you will see what all the fuss is about. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I have a silver and plan to get a second one, but can conclude that a single "omidirectional" Phantom is not "as" good an omidirectional speaker with orchestral music as it is with more seperated smaller bands, its obvious, yes, but its true. Basically if you like large classical music or ensemble music one will not be enough, in other cases it might be.
Given that Devialet proclames that even 1 Phantom has the 'best sound in the world', I can understand ChalleB. Having tried a whole bunch in my home during the last years, compared to Libratone (Lounge, Live), Sonos (A5), B&W (Zeppelin Air, Zeppelin Mini), Jawbone (Jambox) and Beats (Pill), 1 Phantom is definitely way, way better (in my opinion), I have listened to 1 Phantom as well.
But 2 Phantoms is a total different experience.
So, enjoy the 1 you have, it's great. And save a as long as it takes you to buy another Phantom and Surprise! There's so much more to discover!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Happy Phantom user since april 2015 (currently 2 Gold Phantom, Dialog, Branch/Tree) with Tidal hifi.