Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the WiFi network between Phantoms and Dialogue reliable?
Hi all,
question for users: how reliable is the WiFi streaming from the Dialogue to the Phantom(s)?

My prospective setup will see the phantoms connected only to power, and everything streaming from the Dialogue to two Phantoms configured in Stereo.
Actually, i'm planning to send Optical Out from a Sonos Connect into the Optical In of the Dialogue. The question is whether this is reliable or whether does it stutter, etc. Dialogue and Phantoms will be placed in same room (which has regular WiFi going on as well). I don't have loads of interference as i'm in City center, but at the last floor of a rather high building.
99% i won't be able to use at all PLC as my power setup at home is rather peculiar (home automation, etc.). Also there's no way i can send an optical to the phantoms due to furniture placement. So everything needs to be streamed WiFi.

Thanks for sharing.

Vanni
I think you need both PLC and wifi. It had been discussed in another thread.
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1446
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I often use optical into the dialog. The wifi is very stable.

however I do have issues playing very high resolution files - anything over 24bit/192khz stutters a little. Only with optical though. When I use spark everything is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies.
I do have a question which is probably rather dumb, but im not familiar at all with PLC...

The question is: Devialet says that its devices are PLC comptabile etc., but as far as i understand PLC is achieved by connecting one adaptor to your router, plugging this adaptor into electrical, then taking out ethernet cables from other adaptors plugged to the electrical system somewhere else. Meaning that anything that can accept an ethernet cable is "plc compatible".

Now, the question is, do the Phantom and Dialogue in some way transmit the data through their power chords? Meaning that they don't need any adaptor?
Or else, its not clear at all to me how would everything be connected, as i understand that the Dialogue has to be ethernet connected to the router, so i dont get how it can "transmit" and sync data through the powerline (unless the router has then one ethernet connection to a plugged plc adaptor).
Looked through the support pages but no help, they just show "plc connection" but do not explain how this is achieved.

Thanks,

Vanni
Hello Vanni,

PHANTOM and Dialog setup is quite simple. You have to connect Dialog to your mains for power and to your router via Ethernet to be connected to your network and to the Internet if you intend to stream from Tidal, Qobus or Deezer.
Plug the Phantoms to the mains too and than start the setup with the DEVIALET Spark app on your computer or iOS / Android device.
When you finished setup and start to play music, Spark transfers the song to the phantoms and controls synchronized playback if you use multiple phantoms. It uses its own WLAN on 2.4 and 5 GHz channels, which it optimally selects itself. In parallel Dialog communicates with the phantoms on its own PLC network. You do not need any own PLC components, it's all built into the Phantoms and Dialog.
If you already have a PLC network in your home, you might experience problems in form of delayed communication between Dialog and the Phantoms and maybe dropout while playing music.

Alternatively you could connect the phantoms also via Ethernet to your router. Than the communication should only be via Ethernet cable, but I have not tried this, since my wireless configuration does not have any problems, although my neighborhood is full of other WLAN networks.

Cheers,

Krisp
(06-Oct-2015, 16:43)Krisp Wrote: Hello Vanni,

PHANTOM and Dialog setup is quite simple. You have to connect Dialog to your mains for power and to your router via Ethernet to be connected to your network and to the Internet if you intend to stream from Tidal, Qobus or Deezer.
Plug the Phantoms to the mains too and than start the setup with the DEVIALET Spark app on your computer or iOS / Android device.
When you finished setup and start to play music, Spark transfers the song to the phantoms and controls synchronized playback if you use multiple phantoms. It uses its own WLAN on 2.4 and 5 GHz channels, which it optimally selects itself. In parallel Dialog communicates with the phantoms on its own PLC network. You do not need any own PLC components, it's all built into the Phantoms and Dialog.
If you already have a PLC network in your home, you might experience problems in form of delayed communication between Dialog and the Phantoms and maybe dropout while playing music.

Alternatively you could connect the phantoms also via Ethernet to your router. Than the communication should only be via Ethernet cable, but I have not tried this, since my wireless configuration does not have any problems, although my neighborhood is full of other WLAN networks.

Cheers,

Krisp

Thanks Krisp, very clear. I do hope that wifi will be reliable enough, but good to know i dont need any adaptor or modifications!

Vanni