Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable advice for Devialet 120 + PMC Twenty.23...
Hi everyone,

I know this can cause some heated debates but I thought I'd ask. I've just bought a Devialet 120 (upgraded from a Naim SuperUniti) with a pair of PMC Twenty.23's.

I'm currently running a pair or Tellurium Q ultra Blue's that have now had around 50 hours run in time. I'm still finding the sound quite harsh at the top end and missing in the mids (mainly in female and male voices).

Before that I had a pair of Chord Epic twin which seemed ok, but wanted to try the Tellurium Q's. I've just borrowed a pair of TQ ultra Blacks to see what they're like so will report my findings when I try them tomorrow.

My concern with TQ cables though is that they're almost a little too transparent. Lacking in warmth and body. Has anyone else found this? and what cables would you suggest demoing (I don't want to spend silly money on new cables though!!)

Ta,

Stuart.
Hi,

I am in similar situation. Moved from Naim to Devialet and looking for speaker cables that could yield a warmer sound. Am looking at mostly Cu based speaker cables.

I am looking at / looked at:
Zu Audio Wax (Currently using, overall more engaging than naim naca)
Naim Naca (replaced with zu wax)
Black Cat Neo Morpheus
Clairvoyant Cable Zero twist
Audience
KLE Innovation

Anyone has experience with the above? Other suggestions?

(07-Aug-2014, 10:22)stuartwoodrandom Wrote: Hi everyone,

I know this can cause some heated debates but I thought I'd ask. I've just bought a Devialet 120 (upgraded from a Naim SuperUniti) with a pair of PMC Twenty.23's.

I'm currently running a pair or Tellurium Q ultra Blue's that have now had around 50 hours run in time. I'm still finding the sound quite harsh at the top end and missing in the mids (mainly in female and male voices).

Before that I had a pair of Chord Epic twin which seemed ok, but wanted to try the Tellurium Q's. I've just borrowed a pair of TQ ultra Blacks to see what they're like so will report my findings when I try them tomorrow.

My concern with TQ cables though is that they're almost a little too transparent. Lacking in warmth and body. Has anyone else found this? and what cables would you suggest demoing (I don't want to spend silly money on new cables though!!)

Ta,

Stuart.
I would suggest Townshend Isolda. Should be easy to try if you are in the UK.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(08-Aug-2014, 09:04)Kunter Wrote: I would suggest Townshend Isolda. Should be easy to try if you are in the UK.

Kunter, does that mean you think these cables impart a little warmth? I'm interested because Isolda is what I'm currently using. I haven't done any comparative listening since I chose them some time ago, for use with my previous amplifier. Having said that, they are very easy cables to live with in many respects.

Thanks,

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(08-Aug-2014, 11:54)thumb5 Wrote:
(08-Aug-2014, 09:04)Kunter Wrote: I would suggest Townshend Isolda. Should be easy to try if you are in the UK.

Kunter, does that mean you think these cables impart a little warmth? I'm interested because Isolda is what I'm currently using. I haven't done any comparative listening since I chose them some time ago, for use with my previous amplifier. Having said that, they are very easy cables to live with in many respects.

Thanks,

Ian
Yes Ian, I mean that. A pair of Isolda's are currently connected in my system right now as well, while waiting for the long term Echole to arrive... I think they are good detail with a touch of warmth... And good base... But I guess depends on speakers as well...

On the warmest side of things, you start losing grip on detail, and I dont like that.

From memory, I also liked the combination of these factors on Kubala Sosna cables once I tried them in my system, but you start to go very high in price compared to Isolda's as I am talking about the Emotion range...

Overall, I think for the price, Isolda's are hard to beat.

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Currently demoing the Tellurium Q Ultra Blacks and they are pretty amazing! Revealing sounds I never thought were in tracks I've listened to thousands of times before, they sound great through mids and treble and great bass authority.

Shame they're quite pricey!!

I'm going to give the Isolda's a try though and see how these compare... Any one else tried the Isolda against the TQ Ultra Black before?
The Townshend Isolda is a lovely cable, have a test pair now, but it's a bit harsh, any other suggestions? Want something warmer.

Thinking of Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval? Anyone got / tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stuart - if you've not done this already, get rid of the brass plates linking the bi-wire terminals and replace with wire links. They really don't do a lot for the speakers.

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
Stuart - I'm surprised you're finding the Isolda to be harsh, it's the last word I'd use to describe it. Sure it's the speaker cables?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
A second here for the Townshend Isolda - I find them quite excellent and a great match for my 250. Same with another pair in a friend's completely different system. I think the cables are great value for money yet I find them hard to criticise. They have great extension, top and bottom, they allow the Devialet bass control to get to the speakers, and yet have a midrange honesty unrivalled in my experience. Certainly harshness is not an issue with them in my experience. They've replaced some name brand cables costing four times as much in my system. But, as always - try them for yourself!
Murray