Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono stage: 120 inferior to 200?
Hello,

I'm about to buy decent turntable and use Devialet's phono stage as it's well regarded in this forum.

However I just read a post saying that the 120's phono stage is inferior than that of 200's.

Could you kindly confirm that the phono stages are in fact different and if so is it noticeable worse?

Thank you in advance for the advice!
R
Synology NAS > Auralic Aires > Devialet 120 > Dali Epicon 6
They are different but if it affects the sound I dont know. I went with the 200 because my dealer told me that the phonostage is better and the possibility to upgrade to a 400.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I think the phono stages are the same, however, later firmware updates have added some additional functions or adjustability to the 200 and higher models. Beyond that, I believe that with the same settings they are sonically the same.

I think that the 200 > 400 future option as well as additional inputs are the key differences, or reasons that one would go to the 200. There is a power difference, but personally, I think they sound the same. Others have said that there is an audible difference, so perhaps your dealer can do a side-by-side comparison.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Yes, software wise it seems the 120 did not get the sale level of upgrades as the 200; in terms of the phono stage itself it's still not clear if they are actually different and to what extent. I'll write directly to Devialet.

Thanks again for the feedbacks!
R
Synology NAS > Auralic Aires > Devialet 120 > Dali Epicon 6