Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 120 (with pre amp option) as Preamp/Dac/Streamer for a tube amps?
Folks I really appreciate what DEVIALET has brought to the world of high end audio, fantastic sound, integrated in the true sense of the word (Preamp/amp/DAC/Streamer/butler...well the last one is not true, but you know what I mean.  Big Grin
My 120 has been and still is a great source of musical enjoyment, but must admit that to my ears high end tube amps (PrimaLuna, Mcintosh, VTL to name a few) are more "natural" and involving in reproducing music. This said the practical side of the Devialet DAC/Streamer/iOS app...is VERY addictive. So what's a man to do?
Could I mix a 120 (with pre amp option) as a preamp/dac/streamer and pair it with a tube amp? Is there a way to get the best of both world or will I end up with a frankenstein audio creature?
As anyone tried to run a devialet only as a preamp/DAC/Streamer, and if so what was the result?
Cheers,
Alex
What about a cheap Wavelength USB DAC into your analog input and using the 120 as a power amp?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Oct-2015, 22:33)BestAlexEver Wrote: Folks I really appreciate what DEVIALET has brought to the world of high end audio, fantastic sound, integrated in the true sense of the word (Preamp/amp/DAC/Streamer/butler...well the last one is not true, but you know what I mean.  Big Grin
My 120 has been and still is a great source of musical enjoyment, but must admit that to my ears high end tube amps (PrimaLuna, Mcintosh, VTL to name a few) are more "natural" and involving in reproducing music. This said the practical side of the Devialet DAC/Streamer/iOS app...is VERY addictive. So what's a man to do?
Could I mix a 120 (with pre amp option) as a preamp/dac/streamer and pair it with a tube amp? Is there a way to get the best of both world or will I end up with a frankenstein audio creature?
As anyone tried to run a devialet only as a preamp/DAC/Streamer, and if so what was the result?
Cheers,
Alex

I have very often wondered the exact thing... I also have a 120 with pre out board installed, and have successfully used it with a stereo pair of subwoofers. That being said, I can't report back the findings regarding to sound quality.
Using it as a DAC/PRE running into some good tube amplification might just net a very nice system!
I suppose the first one of us to try this, should report his finding to the other.
Sergio
Hi.

We have tried a D250 as a pre for large mono-amps. Unfortunately this was not really successful SQ-wise.

Instead we finally trid a D800 and overall the performance was better than with the large KRELLS before...

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
(29-Oct-2015, 21:43)Gentleman Wrote: Hi.

We have tried a D250 as a pre for large mono-amps. Unfortunately this was not really successful SQ-wise.

Instead we finally trid a D800 and overall the performance was better than with the large KRELLS before...

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

Synergy.....the magic word !
Amp: Devialet 200 // Renderer: Streacom FC-5 Alpha based audio pc with HDPlex 100W LPS - HDPlex 250W ATX UPS - PPA PCIe USB V2 - Roon Labs core - JPlay - Fidelizer Audio Pro  // Speakers: Kharma 3.2 CE black label upgrade // Active sub: Eton Hexacone 10 '' with Hypex DS 4.0 // Cables: Siltech Explorer 180 L - Acoustic Revive Powermax 10000 + IeGo 8055 - Furutech FP-3TS20 + IeGo 8055 - Acoustic Revive USB 1.OPLS - Belden cat.7 1885 ENH + Telegartner MFP8

I almost pulled the trigger on a couple SET monoblocs a few days ago... I really wanted to try these babies with my D120/preout running them. I agree with above poster on synergy; but there's only ONE way to find out... try it!

Have you had any luck with experimentation?