Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet in a state of chaos
When some of you say that your sound was better , what do you mean. What qualities have changed? It'd be great if we could A/B/X this change.
(09-Nov-2015, 17:00)Mikeeo Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 14:16)thumb5 Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 14:06)Mikeeo Wrote: Still stand by that I think Dev was more musical before, to my ears that is!

Not sure I'm entirely following this, but...before what?  Before you heard the Aavik, or before Devialet changed something?

I had Devialets under 2 years and did all the updates and during that period something happened not to my liking soundwise. 

/Mike

Personally, having interacted quite a bit with some of Devialet's leads, I really doubt that the would intentionally make their product sound worse.  That is antithesis to everything they stand for.  I think that there may be subjectivity, to a degree, as to what sounds good. I've read many that thought Devialet reduced the bass emphasis of the Phantoms a bit from the early days, and thought that was an improvement.  I suppose it depends on one's listening environment.   

That's one reason why I've been gently asking Devialet to consider providing an EQ for their Phantoms via their software upgrades.
(29-Jun-2016, 20:30)MountainGuy Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 17:00)Mikeeo Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 14:16)thumb5 Wrote: Not sure I'm entirely following this, but...before what?  Before you heard the Aavik, or before Devialet changed something?

I had Devialets under 2 years and did all the updates and during that period something happened not to my liking soundwise. 

/Mike

Personally, having interacted quite a bit with some of Devialet's leads, I really doubt that the would intentionally make their product sound worse.  That is antithesis to everything they stand for.  I think that there may be subjectivity, to a degree, as to what sounds good. I've read many that thought Devialet reduced the bass emphasis of the Phantoms a bit from the early days, and thought that was an improvement.  I suppose it depends on one's listening environment.   

That's one reason why I've been gently asking Devialet to consider providing an EQ for their Phantoms via their software upgrades.

I have said it before, and I will say it now - I know the 'purists' amongst us will not like the idea of using and equaliser, but in the 70/80s this was all the rage - Back then there was a plethora of EQ units available to add to your system. Now we have moved to sware based EQ, and I loved the fact that with JRiver you could 'fiddle' with the graph to get what you wanted to suit your room or listening preference.

It would also be cool if you could modify the EQ to your tastes on a song-by-song basis - Software-wise this would not be very hard to do surely!

Sadly, many system these days leave the EQ option out entirely from what I have seen. I moved to Aurender for my expert systema few weeks ago, and there is no sware with it, that can do this unfortunately! Same I presume with the Phantoms!

Bring back a new breed of Equalisers please! Cool
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I went out to buy an equalizer a few years ago.
The people in several audio stores acted like I was crazy.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(30-Jun-2016, 09:22)Cylob Wrote: I went out to buy an equalizer a few years ago.

I happily use JRiver's EQ filters. I measure the room in R.E.W, then trim its filter suggestions down to a handful of filters beneath 300Hz, where I'm most sensitive to, whilst scaling them down to less than +/- 3dB. Since I've been doing this, I'm acutely aware of a major room hump at 65Hz, which I now cannot stand to hear.
I have a theory that if one's speakers are SAM'd (i.e. cone excursion kept under stricter control), then they might more accurately propagate the filter adjustments out to the real world(!)
As I've grown older, I've stopped obsessing about the pureness of the bits, and gone with whatever works best in the end. (The room is a FAR greater evil than impure bits!).
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(30-Jun-2016, 13:28)JohnnySix Wrote:
(30-Jun-2016, 09:22)Cylob Wrote: I went out to buy an equalizer a few years ago.

I happily use JRiver's EQ filters. I measure the room in R.E.W, then trim its filter suggestions down to a handful of filters beneath 300Hz, where I'm most sensitive to, whilst scaling them down to less than +/- 3dB. Since I've been doing this, I'm acutely aware of a major room hump at 65Hz, which I now cannot stand to hear.
I have a theory that if one's speakers are SAM'd (i.e. cone excursion kept under stricter control), then they might more accurately propagate the filter adjustments out to the real world(!)
As I've grown older, I've stopped obsessing about the pureness of the bits, and gone with whatever works best in the end. (The room is a FAR greater evil than impure bits!).

I performed nearly the same process, starting the approach by using REW measurment and a Behringer FBQ2496 for my subwoofer for Home Cinema.

For HiFi,  I didn't need room correction with wy previous speakers (I don't use my sub. for HiFi). But now that I own the Dev and speakers that allow very deep bass , I need a room correction and I use A+ in conjunction with Audiounits plugins to assess 2 peaks due to resonnant frequencies  (40Hz and 60 Hz) .

I do think too that the weakest link of a reasonably well designed system remains  between the speakers and our ears.
MacMini -> Audirvana +AudioUnits -> Devialet "The 120" (USB) -> BW 802 Di -> My room -> My ears 
And other stuff for Home Cinema...
FR