Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12
I'm gonna jump on this as well. Got the update installed and started listening. I felt right away that there was something different about the sound. It was more homogeneous and comfortable. The bass was even more defined. Thought that it might be because I had'nt used them for a few days in anticipation of the update, but considering all the others who have similar experiences, I think that perhaps there really is something to it.

Loving the progress. Just keeping my fingers crossed for spotify integration soon Big Grin
Spark 1.3.1 for Windows7+ is also available, I found it here....www.devialet.com/softs/Spark-1.3.1.exe
First impression, visually nothing changed.

add-on:
All the errors (in the Windows version of Spark) I reported before are still there. So probably only "the volume-issue" is changed, whatever that exactly is. I tried the online Chat and asked if there is a list of changes. This was the respons "Sébastien..There are actually no official list of changes for now but it will come".

So let's have patience and in the meantime, enjoy the sound of the Dialogs/Phantoms.
Updated Spark 1.3.1 for Mac is also available. No apparent changes.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
Updated firmware and Spark with no issues. Had to log in to Tidal again. 
Never had any issues at all actually. 

I experience the sound somewhat more refined and "calm" as well with a bit more details. Just imagination? 
Would be interesting to get this confirmed or denied from Devialet Smile
(03-Nov-2015, 12:44)karebe Wrote:
(03-Nov-2015, 03:53)rjalder Wrote:
(02-Nov-2015, 21:19)seb Wrote: Update from 1.4.0.5 went smooth. All settings were kept. Playing now from TIDAL without problems. I keep my fingers crossed that it stays like this. As others I had some problems before, mainly phase shifting or loosing one of my two Phantom for some seconds. The full reset procedure described in one of the other posts did reduce the problems significantly though. I would definitely recommend to do this should you run into troubles. My Phantoms are linked wirelessly and the Dialog is connected without AC filter.

Using an AC filter - a power bar for clean power and surge protection....this seems to generate problems so people are setting up their systems without surge protection?   Dodgy  Is no surge protection needed?   Huh Has anyone set up a Phantom stereo system for TV audio, with AC filter/surge protection for the whole system and no glitches - dropouts or strange sotware performance?  Did you go wired or wireless to achieve stability?   Did you use an Apple Airport Express or Extreeme, or what for a router?   What clean power/surge protect system? Thank you. Smile

All my components are set up with surge protection, but only surge protection. All are Ethernet connected to the network. No problems at all.

I do not use an AC filter right now for the reasons mentioned. I guess a "simple" surge protector would work well as it would not modify the AC signal (filter or "clean" it), but just break in case of over voltage. Answering your question regarding the setup. 

Dialog / Phantoms are connected directly to the wall (no AC filters)
Dialog is connected wirelessly to the Phantoms.
Dialog, Wifi Router (ASUS RT-68U) and Mac mini (running Spark with access to my music library on HD) are connected via Ethernet
Dialog Optical In for all the other devices (using a 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch with Optical Out - TiVo, BlueRay, Apple TV, Mac Mini Server)

The network setup is much more complicated. I had a very stable network with an older Time Capsule and Airport Express (used even one with optical out to a single Phantom before I got Dialog and a second Phantom). As I now have more than 20 Wifi devices, some of them taking advantage of the "ac" WiFi standard, I switched to a multilevel setup using an ASUS RT-68U upstairs (bridged mode, connected via MoCa 1.1 / Coax Cable from downstairs  - Tip: comes for free with T-Mobile in the US for making WiFi calls; same model but other name: TM-AC1900) and an ASUS AC-87R (downstairs). Both routers are rock-solid and powerful enough to manage and prioritize a number of devices and type of data (believe me I tested several routers which failed at this challenge). 

I usually control via Spark (from networked devices) using TIDAL and my Mac mini music library. So Dialog is pulling the signal via Ethernet instead of Optical In.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
5 hours ago
Working perfectly over here, sounds awesome.

-My modem to a netgear router and then with audioquest cat700 ethernetcable to the dialog.
-The dialog wireless to the 2 silver phantoms
-My 4k TV with opticalcable to the left phantom
-The remote for vol.

And Thats all !

I stream with qobuz for me the best sounding when put the settings on Hi-Res (settings qobuz) and i stream wireless from my Mac book pro via Spark without any problems
I upgraded yesterday (Nov 2). In "Devices", my Dialog does not show, but my Phantoms show. It all works as expected, and no dropouts so far. Switching between sources (my left Phantom takes optical from my computer, my right one takes optical from my CD-player) resets the sound to 35. A bit annoying, especially since this quite often means that the volume is increased...
Same here, upgraded today and noticed more resolution the sound. More delicate highs, more definition. Really pleased, sounds great.
It is for me the best sounding system what i had over the last 45 years. Even with systems 10 times this price
This is interesting - the improved sound is a bit OT but here goes.  

I'm evaluating the system after about 15 hours of break in.  After listening some hours, I'm just not finding it to be better than even my system which is, at retail level, not quite double of Phantoms.  

The Phantom has a lot of dynamic range and power.  
Second,  it is also remarkably small for the degree of dynamic range and power.  Nothing quite like it.
Third, vocals are quite remarkable - very present - almost as if they EQ for focal accentuation. 

However, it feels like a decent stereo system but my number on issue is that I find it lacking in resolution compared to the system I'm currently running which is not even that expensive, albeit they are highly resolving.  This includes the bass which can thump but I am running a couple of small sealed dipole subwoofers that are only 10 inches to a side with dual opposing 8" drivers.  I suspend the subs off 20" off the ground.   Bass note on these 'lowly' subs have signfiicantly better presence and speed - they bass notes have very clean edges which contributes to resolution.  The Phantom are decent but they are not as clean.  They are more 'thumpy' if I may say so.    My Phantoms are on 28" tall speaker stands and front face is at least 30" from rear wall and even more from side walls.  

The other is that my existing system has more upper 'air', more resolution, and greater transient speed. There is a sense of greater delicacy. 

Am I alone in this?  Anything I can do to increase apparent resolution AND get better highs?  

Thanks,
MtnGuy