Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco users - what app?
(07-Nov-2015, 12:16)Womaz Wrote: Bob you make a valid point. The lack of a decent app is a real shame and did not expect this. Back to using Kinsky now. It's basic but I can see it clearly ard it doesn't crash

The Melco does sound great though, and so far in my dealings with them their customer service has been exemplary.  Shame you are not finding the same

The Melco app really can't come quick enough though

I anticipate much more water under the bridge before we see a Melco app, but hope I'm wrong. IMO the Melco (and Linn) digital devices bely the myth that SMPS are much inferior to LPS's. I've owed several high quality components with LPS's inside as well as one outboard LPS (on a Naim digital device), and have not missed having a LPS with the Melco. The worst of all is having an LPS that emits a humming sound be it in an amplifier or any other digtal audio device, although most LPS's do not have a hum loud enough to hear thankfully.
Hi Guys

I worked out another option for controlling the Melco yesterday.

I used to use Roon or Jriver/Jremote before the Melco and the Kinsky or Lumin apps with twonky really don't live up to what I'd got used to. It's funny, I thought they were fine when I had a Linn DS and I initially really wanted Devialet to offer UPNP/DLNA. Except for Roon, the combination of Jriver and remote is the best music controller software I've used.

First step I tried was loading Minimserver onto the Melco, better than Twonky but you're still stuck with less than brilliant control apps.

Then, I remembered that Jriver has DLNA functionality so I started to play around with it. Initially I couldn't see the Melco player (the library was visible) from Jriver but changing the control type for 1 to 0 on the Melco fixed that and I could see the player as well. With a bit of tweaking of settings, I now have the Melco controlled by Jriver and the Jremote app, streaming DSD and Flac files perfectly.

I'm using the library on my Synology but it also works fine with files on the Melco. I can't hear any difference between sending the files from Jriver or playing of the drives in the Melco so I can't see any downside so far. Of course, it means that you need a PC on the network to run Jriver but I have one for Roon and Air anyway (not very patiently waiting for Melco to implement Roon is some for or other :-) ).

The architecture is a little different to normal UPNP/DLNA, Jriver acts as the Server and the control point, Melco just the player, you can of course, point Jrivers library to the files on the Melco if you wish. Jremote is just a remote control for Jriver rather than a UPNP control point, if that makes sense?

So if anyone else has a Jriver licence and a Melco, I'd strongly recommend trying it as a controller. It was quite simple in the end and feels much more fitting to high tech gear like Melco and Devialet :-)

cheers

Chris
Very interesting, looks like you on to something. How the combination sorts classical music ?
I have to confess that I'm less sophisticated than that and don't really have any classical music in my library.

Jriver is quite flexible and I believe you can configure it to look at Composer and Conductor tags as well as Artists so it should work.

For example you could create a view of Genre > Composer then choose by conductor or artist (orchestra or soloist I guess).

I'm sure a quick browse of the Jriver forum would explain better than I can.

Once you've created a view in jriver you just copy it to the remote app.

regards

Chris
Ok cool I didn't know thx
I cant seem to get Jriver to show the DSD files on my Melco N1A. What am I missing?