Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
I have asked around and there is Nobody WHO say that a ney phonostage In the Pro models .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
I found that I had to balance Max output between clipping and the onset of hiss. The higher the output, the less hissing occurs, but you might find that it puts the meters into the red.  
Now any loud, dynamic passages will sound rough because of the clipping.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
vicchow

Come across a vintage B&O MMC6000, although it said it is a MM cartridge, it only plays beautifully with following setting:

Type: MC
Max Level: 1000 µV
Loading: 100 ohm, 100 pF
EDIT: Loading: 200ohm, 100pF has clearer sound stage and louder treble

The internal calibration sheet come with MMC6000 said it has 100kohm load which is not correct, 100 ohm is the solution.

EDIT:

Just testing with several different LP, the treble side sounds more forward and clear if the loading to tune to 200 ohm instead of 100 ohm. In case anybody come across this vintage cartridge, would you verify it as well?
Hi vicchow

Regarding your B&O MMC6000 settings:

This is a classic B&O MM cartridge, and your setup is probably causing overload and clipping of the phono input on your Devialet + the load setting is causing the frequency response of the cartridge to be nonlinear (a roll-off in the high frequencies).

This cartridge was designed for a 47kohm/0pF/MM input.
A more correct setting on your Devialet would be:MM -  5mV - Loading: High, 0 pF

(I edited this post, because I erroneously suggested 400 pF for the capacity setting. Actually 'old fashioned' MM cartridges are normally designed to have minimal capacity loading, because it together with the impedance represents an R-C circuit, which rolls off the high frequencies).

Regards, Jens
BTW, i experienced that using the phono input of the companion gives me slightly better results.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(01-Oct-2016, 21:18)Finn Wrote: I use cadenza Black and use the settings that devialet show , and i connected a step Up transformer a ortofon venzo , but still ther is a little noise playing records, even When i turn of my wifi, i Think there is nothing too do , vhen we play records .

Hi Finn,

Sounds to me like you are using both the MC input setting on the Devialet and an external step-up transformer? If this is the case, then you are definitely overloading your phono input on the Devialet. If you have an MC cartridge and connect via a step-up transformer, you should use the MM settings.

Regards Jens
Hello Jens if i connect too MM settings i Think 100 ohm is ok ,or NOT And What about level ? Can you tell me How you Would set the settings In MM . Regards Finn
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
Hi Finn,

If you use a step-up transformer (which one?), normally the transformer output side is designed to be compatible with a standard MM phono input, this means I would set the Devialet phono input to MM, 5mV, High (impedance) and 0 pF (capacity loading). The transformer's input is designed to provide a low impedance loading to the cartridge, when connected to a high-impedance input on the amp.

You can also try to connect your cartridge directly to the Devialet amp without the transformer. If you do that, I would recommend this setting: MC, 600 uV, 60 ohms for your Ortofon cartridge.

Try to play around with it and see which result you like best. Good luck.

Regards, Jens
Hello Jens it is a MC step Up transformer from Ortofon the name is. Verto Regards Finn
Hi Finn,
Thanks for info, very good step-up transformer. I just checked the data sheet - Ortofon recommends the output of the transformer is connected to an input with the following specifications: 47kohms and 200pF load = 'High' and '200pF' on the Devialet, for sensitivity I still recommend to use 5mV.
Good luck with it.
Regards, Jens