Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
(15-Aug-2014, 00:30)marcor Wrote:
(15-Aug-2014, 00:25)Mikeeo Wrote:
(15-Aug-2014, 00:04)marcor Wrote:
(14-Aug-2014, 00:59)Mikeeo Wrote: Yes you are right, 3 dB will not be enough, I will test again with bigger change in gain at some point.
Though the 192 setting is to our ears smoother in the top freq but without losing details. Blind tried it with the wife as I couldn't trust myself, wanting to hear this or that Wink

Well, try for your selfs/Mike

So did you hear some differences between 192 and 96?
I am really trying to figure out if it was all a figment of my immagination or if I really heard a difference.
I am trying again this weekend

Marco

Marco,

Yes I did or rather felt that it was. So I had to test it on the wife (blindly) and she also heard this (I did not tell anything about what I changed or what I had experienced).

/M

Thanks Mike.
To be honest with you I did the same thing with my 9 years old daughter who can hear a lot better than me the higher frequency. I had her listen the same record with both the settings several time without telling her what was the difference and she spotted all the time the 192. She also helped me to set the load of the cartridge....

Marco, thanks for the confirmation which actually means I can trust my ears to some extent Wink Good that you have some ears in the home that you can trust, just like me.
I also noted that the noise difference between 96 and 192 was small or rather I had a hard time knowing if it was. Technically there should be more noise in the 192 setting. I am staying with my 192 setting as that addressed the small issue I had in the top freq.

Keep on enjoying/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK

My gear in action Smile

The blue vinyl is a special edition from the movie music of Dallas Buyers Club.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I did a couple of test today. First I found that in the settings of audacity you can change the meter to go down to -147. Then you can expand the meters to get clearer readings. I was getting a -73db reading as average value.
I did try to select other sources (digital) and the reading was completely silent. I tried to un plug the analog cables and still the reading was -73dB. I tried to record and the db curve was flat but in the spectrogram you could see the noise.
I tried to record some music and I noticed that to be completely sure no clipping would occur I had to lower slightly the input volume, that took the base noise closer to -80dB.
So it seems that the phono input is generating some noise, what is not clear is why the devialet meters show lower values.
M
(16-Aug-2014, 09:15)marcor Wrote: I did a couple of test today. First I found that in the settings of audacity you can change the meter to go down to -147. Then you can expand the meters to get clearer readings. I was getting a -73db reading as average value.
I did try to select other sources (digital) and the reading was completely silent. I tried to un plug the analog cables and still the reading was -73dB. I tried to record and the db curve was flat but in the spectrogram you could see the noise.
I tried to record some music and I noticed that to be completely sure no clipping would occur I had to lower slightly the input volume, that took the base noise closer to -80dB.
So it seems that the phono input is generating some noise, what is not clear is why the devialet meters show lower values.
M

These are interesting observations. Could it be that the meters on the D measure the incoming noise only and the meters in Audacity (located at the very end of the electronic chain) measure the noise in the total output signal.

The noise generated by an MC setting for the phono input is of course much higher than the one for a line input. At the end, phono preamplification has to deal with extremely weak signals.

Then the readings in Audacity must be higher than the ones in the D.
(16-Aug-2014, 10:12)Mohmm Wrote:
(16-Aug-2014, 09:15)marcor Wrote: I did a couple of test today. First I found that in the settings of audacity you can change the meter to go down to -147. Then you can expand the meters to get clearer readings. I was getting a -73db reading as average value.
M

These are interesting observations. Could it be that the meters on the D measure the incoming noise only and the meters in Audacity (located at the very end of the electronic chain) measure the noise in the total output signal.

The noise generated by an MC setting for the phono input is of course much higher than the one for a line input. At the end, phono preamplification has to deal with extremely weak signals.

Then the readings in Audacity must be higher than the ones in the D.

This does make sense. The Devialet monitor the noise input at the input, Audacity monitor the same noise after it has been amplified by the Devialet.
How much this affect the digitalization I am not sure but From the little I tried it shouldn't be a huge problem.
Good idea.

Dynavector XX-2 MkII

Type : MC
Max Level : 700 μV rms
Loading : High / 0 pF

(10-Aug-2014, 22:29)Confused Wrote: I'd like to claim to be the very cleaver guy who thought of this, but I got this one from Ali at Oxford Audio, he in turn got it from another customer, so there is a cleaver chap out there somewhere.

I think this may have been me. I'm glad it's been useful.

As Frank says, I don't push the levels too hard. This is especially important as there are a few worn old records in my collection, where the pops & clicks can give quite a spike.
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
Hello

I have a Devialet on its way. Can someone give me some good settings on a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze?

I would be grateful.

W
Welcome @Wallard! I'm running my Cadenza Black at 400uv, 100ohms, 0pf. You can get slightly different results using a higher ohms setting. I haven't had the Cadenza for long and I'm still experimenting with settings myself. This should at least offer a reasonable starting point.
(28-Aug-2014, 08:43)Confused Wrote: Welcome @Wallard! I'm running my Cadenza Black at 400uv, 100ohms, 0pf. You can get slightly different results using a higher ohms setting. I haven't had the Cadenza for long and I'm still experimenting with settings myself. This should at least offer a reasonable starting point.

Thanks!
(28-Aug-2014, 07:08)Wallard Wrote: Hello

I have a Devialet on its way. Can someone give me some good settings on a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze?

I would be grateful.

W
Hi Wallard,
I have the same cartridge, I have it set at MC ,400uvms and High.

I struggled to get the tonal balance right with the normal 50-200 range, it didn't
give me enough body and treble was not smooth.
I'm open to other options too.
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.