Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
So, you have to set the Maximum Load slightly higher then the manufacturer's specified load?
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Umm, yes. I'm waiting for someone to point out the folly of my reasoning!
(10-Aug-2014, 22:29)Confused Wrote: I have a tip, setting the maximum cartridge output can be tricky. Set too high vs the actual cartridge output and the amps power supply is forced to work to hard. Set too low, and you can get clipping, the dreaded orange flashing dot appearing on the remote app display. Some cartridge outputs are listed as so many uV at 1 kHz / 5 m/s or similar. The point being that this is not actually a maximum figure. Trial and error is needed to fine tune this, but you can check the level by scrolling through the menus on the Devialet display, until the sound level bars appear. This display gives an indication of how close you are getting to 0 db. I'd like to claim to be the very cleaver guy who thought of this, but I got this one from Ali at Oxford Audio, he in turn got it from another customer, so there is a cleaver chap out there somewhere.

I'm wondering how much higher I should set the Max Load?
Should I start with increments of 10uV?
Is it possible the wreck the cartridge or worse the D200?
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(10-Aug-2014, 22:29)Confused Wrote: I have a tip, setting the maximum cartridge output can be tricky. Set too high vs the actual cartridge output and the amps power supply is forced to work to hard. Set too low, and you can get clipping, the dreaded orange flashing dot appearing on the remote app display. Some cartridge outputs are listed as so many uV at 1 kHz / 5 m/s or similar. The point being that this is not actually a maximum figure. Trial and error is needed to fine tune this, but you can check the level by scrolling through the menus on the Devialet display, until the sound level bars appear. This display gives an indication of how close you are getting to 0 db. I'd like to claim to be the very cleaver guy who thought of this, but I got this one from Ali at Oxford Audio, he in turn got it from another customer, so there is a cleaver chap out there somewhere.

The sound level meters in the information display were added to allow users to adjust the gain of the analogue inputs, both phono and straight.
They have no other use, apart to annoy one at the number of recordings almost always up near clipping.
Sad

With 24 dB of dynamic range the ADC is pretty forgiving, but it is nice to get it about right. It is difficult since LPs vary considerably in the maximum level recorded on them (and cartridges on their ability to track high levels).
It is much, much worse to have clipping than slightly under record in a digital system BTW.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(11-Aug-2014, 19:14)f1eng Wrote: With 24 dB of dynamic range the ADC is pretty forgiving...

Is that a typo? I guess you meant 24 bits, as 24 dB isn't much dynamic range...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-Aug-2014, 19:27)thumb5 Wrote:
(11-Aug-2014, 19:14)f1eng Wrote: With 24 dB of dynamic range the ADC is pretty forgiving...

Is that a typo? I guess you meant 24 bits, as 24 dB isn't much dynamic range...

Indeed it is! You are quite right...Angry
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I've reduced the loading on my Rega Exact 2 (the 2 does exist and has the black plate where the cables go in, older ones have a grey or yellow plate apparently). I'm using 7mV max loading with no clipping so far. Also using 100pF and High resistance.
(11-Aug-2014, 19:14)f1eng Wrote: The sound level meters in the information display were added to allow users to adjust the gain of the analogue inputs, both phono and straight.

I do wonder sometimes, Devialet go to all the trouble of developing these funky looking meters, and then make no mention of this on their website, say in the section that covers setting up phono stages in the Configurator. Very poor!
A bit confused by the suggestion on adjusting gain to roughly 0 db - (is that the suggestion?). I am using a Lyra Atlas, .56MV output. My meters show -40 db or so when listening. Current setting is 590 on the Devialet and don't think I could/should push it higher to get to 0db. This is roughly the same as the PC 1 setting another owner shared. Thoughts?
(12-Aug-2014, 02:42)adstew Wrote: A bit confused by the suggestion on adjusting gain to roughly 0 db - (is that the suggestion?). I am using a Lyra Atlas, .56MV output. My meters show -40 db or so when listening. Current setting is 590 on the Devialet and don't think I could/should push it higher to get to 0db. This is roughly the same as the PC 1 setting another owner shared. Thoughts?

I think you refer to my cartridge, but is a cheaper PC-3. Smile However I have more or less your settings. I cannot test it right now but I believe that your meter's reading are more in line with what I see from mine cartridge. As result generally my listening volume is around -20dB.