Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The jump from D200 to D400
well basically.. the highest recommended power to your speakers is 150 watts. if they were in the 200's, 300's etc then i could see how it would be worth it to upgrade! but right now you can already overpower your speakers if you turn the volume up enough

If you dont listen that loud you dont use anywhere near the max power, so in my eyes it wouldnt be worth the price to upgrade the dev.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(09-Nov-2015, 23:42)completeluxury Wrote: well basically.. the highest recommended power to your speakers is 150 watts. if they were in the 200's, 300's etc then i could see how it would be worth it to upgrade! but right now you can already overpower your speakers if you turn the volume up enough

If you dont listen that loud you dont use anywhere near the max power, so in my eyes it wouldnt be worth the price to upgrade the dev.

Yes I see your point . I was led to believe though that the increase in power is not really what the 400 was about. I confess to a very limited knowledge though.
Its one of the concerns i have though that a 400 driving the 23s would be overkill so i am not surprised you think that.
I would ultimately be looking to upgrade the speakers but thats quite a way down the line if I did go for the 400
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
if it were me, i would look at upgrading the speakers first.

if upgrading to a d400 is an option down the line then i would go for any speaker up to 300 - 350 watts in power. that opens up a heap of options for you and your d200 shouldnt have any problem driving them at average listening levels.

for those that saw a positive impact from upgrading to a d400 it would be intestesting to see what speakers they were using at the time and the power input to those speakers.

ive seen people power speakers with a specified wattage of up to 800 watts with a d200... its no surprise people like that hear a positive increase when they upgrade their amp
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
from what i understand its not all about the 200Watts as such but the additional current
to use a car synonym its not the top speed thats so important but the additional torque and control that the D400 can bring
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(10-Nov-2015, 00:04)completeluxury Wrote: if it were me, i would look at upgrading the speakers first.

if upgrading to a d400 is an option down the line then i would go for any speaker up to 300 - 350 watts in power. that opens up a heap of options for you and your d200 shouldnt have any problem driving them at average listening levels.

for those that saw a positive impact from upgrading to a d400 it would be intestesting to see what speakers they were using at the time and the power input to those speakers.

ive seen people power speakers with a specified wattage of up to 800 watts with a d200... its no surprise people like that hear a positive increase when they upgrade their amp

A very helpful post thank you. This has always been in the back of my mind. The 400 would not be being considered but I may be offered it at a much lower price than it retails for. That's why it is now being considered.
I do still see it as an option though as it won't harm my speakers and they could always be upgraded later.
Great post though so thanks again
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
well if circumstance dictates that you can get a good price on a d200 right now and if it wasnt purchased now it wouldnt be affordable later - get the d200 and then wait for other speakers!

i saw some measurements of some PMC speakers (not your exact ones but both models tested had similar traits) and they have a big jump in power in the highs.. meaning for the same power they will play high frequencies louder.

Here are speaker measurements for the PMC fact 24. notice the frequency response at 5khz to 20 khz - the 3rd graph down is the easiest to read

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.p...asurements

then, for instance, have a look at the measurements for the vivid audio Giya G2 and notice how flat the response is towards the end

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.p...s&catid=77

that extra power at the top end of your speakers could be slightly adding to the "brightness" of your system.
I dont really understand any of the graphs if I am honest, but I think you mean using a 400 with my speakers could ,ake my system even brighter??
It is a shame that in this day and age we cant do something about this at the top end of my 23s......like use an equaliser?....not that I would kniow where to start.
Very helpful though and still going over and over my options.
no i didnt mean that at all! the d400 definitely wont make your system even brighter. i mean your speakers have a natural tendency to be a bit bright.

you could most definitely use an equaliser/convolution to tame the brightness but it does require a little bit of technical knowledge.
I went with some Triangle Signature Deltas at around 4.5k when I got my first D200 and the combination was very good.
Then later decided to add a companion, thus D400, and I have to say I have not regretted this move.

There was a marked difference, even to my old ears, with clearer highs, tighter lows, overall better definition. So it actually brought out the best in the Deltas.
Since then, I hanker after a better speaker as I wonder what I am missing sonically (don't we all!), however I am painfully aware that the limiting factor is more likely to be the performance of my ears.

Nevertheless, worth trying when I have time....Don't get me wrong, the Deltas are way better than I expected, and improved by the move up to D400, and they are Wife-friendly, so when I have time I want to try some WA Sabrinas although I think I would have to sell my soul (or maybe the Wife!) to afford!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
(10-Nov-2015, 09:53)completeluxury Wrote: no i didnt mean that at all! the d400 definitely wont make your system even brighter. i mean your speakers have a natural tendency to be a bit bright.

you could most definitely use an equaliser/convolution to tame the brightness but it does require a little bit of technical knowledge.

I see. Yes I have read this in a few reviews. I think that this combined with the 200 and my wooden floors all make it a tad bright.
I can live with it though, just would be good to tame it. Well the equalising and technical but is definitely not my strong point. I know you find that hard to believe Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin