Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dialog housing affected by heat
Thermal management and design is poor. The super hot effects are greatest in wifi only mode, with the radios and processor going flat out to deal with ambient RFI, and as the temperature increases the performance degrades with dropouts, phase shifting, disappearances etc. The Ethernet and AC pass through configuration runs cooler as the signal integrity is solid, and the radios and processor have a much lower overhead load. No need to turn off/unplug the Dialog.

This suggests a new Dialog soon with better radios, processor and SW/firmware... And a much better toslink optical connector.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
Having read so much about the Dialog overheating issue, when I visited the Phantom demo room at the National Audio Show recently, I went over to the Dialog they were using to run the pair of Silver Phantoms on demo, to see how hot it was.
This combo had been pumping out music non-stop from early-mid morning, probably about 6 hours and running to moderately high volumes.

Much to my surprise, the Dialog was only mildly warm to the touch and I wouldn't have said it was hot at all.

?
(13-Nov-2015, 10:42)Felix Wrote: Having read so much about the Dialog overheating issue, when I visited the Phantom demo room at the National Audio Show recently, I went over to the Dialog they were using to run the pair of Silver Phantoms on demo, to see how hot it was.
This combo had been pumping out music non-stop from early-mid morning, probably about 6 hours and running to moderately high volumes.

Much to my surprise, the Dialog was only mildly warm to the touch and I wouldn't have said it was hot at all.

?

Did you feel on the plastic or on the iron parts?
..... Digging around in the Devialet documentation, they claim that in the absence of an acoustic signal the units go into power saving mode... Running some thermal tracking on units to see if this reflected in actuality.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
If i put my finger the metal parts of dialog, I cant keep it pressed there there very long, maybe 20 sec max, its hot. I am running wired so considering ONDASTARs post above, this is not as hot as it could get. Heat dissipation issue.
(16-Nov-2015, 21:14)ondastar Wrote: ..... Digging around in the Devialet documentation, they claim that in the absence of an acoustic signal the units go into power saving mode... Running some thermal tracking on units to see if this reflected in actuality.
my phantoms are warm even if i dont run them. they are plugged in all the time with no off switch, same with dialog.    Is there any sleep mode going on?   Generating such heat takes power.   Some are unpluging the devices, but then don't you have to go through the set up process every time you want to play music?
Same here, can't touch the Dialog really so hot it gets. Wondered from the beginning how durable this is for the components inside the Dialog. Hopefully Devialet will launch a swap program for the first version Dialog's.

The Phantom cool ribs are indeed always slightly warm, this is the consequence of the class A amplifier part in there. I had the same with my first amp ever, the Quad 909 which also is part class A.
2x Phantom I Gold Opera de Paris 2.12.3 on Branch
No setup needed after re-plugging: You only need to wait about 1 minute or a bit less to allow the Phantoms and Dialog to boot up. Don't press start button in Spark but wait untill you see the empty playlist. The playlist is emtied when you switch off Dialog. I run all Phantoms and Dialog through remote controlled power switches from DIO, no need to run setup after switching on the Devialets. I switch them on all with the same remote command at the same time. No need to order first Dialog and then Phantoms.
(17-Nov-2015, 07:30)rjalder Wrote:
(16-Nov-2015, 21:14)ondastar Wrote: ..... Digging around in the Devialet documentation, they claim that in the absence of an acoustic signal the units go into power saving mode... Running some thermal tracking on units to see if this reflected in actuality.
my phantoms are warm even if i dont run them. they are plugged in all the time with no off switch, same with dialog.    Is there any sleep mode going on?   Generating such heat takes power.   Some are unpluging the devices, but then don't you have to go through the set up process every time you want to play music?

With the original firmware the setup was lost if powered down. It is fine now. I leave mine unplugged most of the time and they always work fine when powered up. I connect the Phantoms first, then the Dialog.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire