Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stabilant 22
Does anybody know if this material is the secret ingredient in "Tweek" contact enhancer which was much praised back in the day?
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hidden deep in the web:

"The company was established in 1986. While it was begun in 1976, as Wright Electroacoustics, it was based on the R&D work of Wm. M. D. Wright. After several years of field trials, the final product, STABILANT 22 was introduced as TWEEK , by Sumiko."

http://www.stabilant.com/bccomp.htm
(13-Aug-2014, 17:55)Confused Wrote: Hidden deep in the web:

"The company was established in 1986. While it was begun in 1976, as Wright Electroacoustics, it was based on the R&D work of Wm. M. D. Wright. After several years of field trials, the final product, STABILANT 22 was introduced as TWEEK , by Sumiko."

Fascinating. So Stabilant 22 (Tweek) was just undiluted Isopropanol? 5 litres for £17.75
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(13-Aug-2014, 19:31)PhilP Wrote:
(13-Aug-2014, 17:55)Confused Wrote: Hidden deep in the web:

Fascinating. So Stabilant 22 (Tweek) was just undiluted Isopropanol? 5 litres for £17.75

What would make you think that? Isopropranol is the solvent with which stabilant 22 is diluted to make it easier to apply.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(13-Aug-2014, 20:43)f1eng Wrote: What would make you think that? Isopropranol is the solvent with which stabilant 22 is diluted to make it easier to apply.

Err... Sorry, I just re-read the page that Confused linked to. My only excuse - half of a bottle of a very pleasant Southern French Grenache.

So what is Stabilant 22? My wife used to work for a biotech company so she would be able to explain the chemical formula to me.

EDIT: got it - it's a modified polyoxypropylene-polyoxyethylene block polymer of the Polyglycol family.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
It is quite a thick substance on its own, hence the suggestion to dilute it... However, I did not dilute, and just use 1 drop per connector with the very nice brush applicators that came with it...

Anyone else used it yet?
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I haven't used any of my new bottle yet but have used Tweek ever since it became available, 10 to 20 years at a guess. I am pretty convinced that it is connectors and their resistance and contact area which are the only important feature of different cables...
Oxfordshire

(14-Aug-2014, 13:27)f1eng Wrote: ...
I am pretty convinced that it is connectors and their resistance and contact area which are the only important feature of different cables...

+1

I may just change "only" to "most by a wide margin"....
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I finally found the time to try the Stabilant 22.
I used it on every possible low current contact. Starting with my music PC from the PSU output connectors, power connectors on the mother board, power connector on the SSD drive, contacts on the memory slots, SATA connectors, PCI slot (USB card), USB contacts on USB card,
I also used it on the connectors of the USB cable and both ends of the speaker cables, the jumper cables and all ethernet connectors between the music PC and the NAS.
I did not use more than 2 or 3 ml of a 15 ml undiluted bottle
What can I say.
It’s quite difficult to make a direct A to B comparison as it took quite some time to disassemble the PC to reach all the important places. However the sound seems to have improved. It sounds more fluent, rounder, natural. The background seems darker, decays lasting longer, better ambient impression of the recordings.
I’m aware that it’s all very personal and subjective, but I’m very happy with the end result.
Taking into account the reasonable asking price it seems a “no brainer” tweek.
Devialet 440 pro CI, Shunyata Research Sigma S/PDIF RCA link, In-Akustik Referenz LS-4004 Air , B&W 802 Diamond.
Aurender N10, SR Sigma AES/EBU 
2x Paul Pang OCXO dual switch, SR Sigma Ethernet, Acousense GISO GB Lan Isolator
Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2
SR Denali 6000/S V2, SR Alpha NR PL C19, Naim PL C15
IsoAcoustics Gaia I, Orea Bronze & Indigo
(03-Sep-2014, 09:32)Hermanh Wrote: I finally found the time to try the Stabilant 22.
I used it on every possible low current contact. Starting with my music PC from the PSU output connectors, power connectors on the mother board, power connector on the SSD drive, contacts on the memory slots, SATA connectors, PCI slot (USB card), USB contacts on USB card,
I also used it on the connectors of the USB cable and both ends of the speaker cables, the jumper cables and all ethernet connectors between the music PC and the NAS.
I did not use more than 2 or 3 ml of a 15 ml undiluted bottle
What can I say.
It’s quite difficult to make a direct A to B comparison as it took quite some time to disassemble the PC to reach all the important places. However the sound seems to have improved. It sounds more fluent, rounder, natural. The background seems darker, decays lasting longer, better ambient impression of the recordings.
I’m aware that it’s all very personal and subjective, but I’m very happy with the end result.
Taking into account the reasonable asking price it seems a “no brainer” tweek.

Glad you liked it...

In fact it gets a little better over time... just give it a couple of days... Especially for the speaker cable connections, which in my experience did not like stabilant immediately but needed to settle in.

For the contacts you dont disengage, there is no need to reapply. But for the ethernet and USB connections, it would be wise to reapply if you remove cables for any reason...

Stay away from any power connectors though...

Kunter
Istanbul, Turkey