Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which library speakers with D400 ?
Big Grin 
I use my D400 with great Apertura Onira speakers for now but I am moving in a smaller place and have to sell the Apertura Sad
Have you listened the 400 with smaller speakers (library) with good results ?
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(09-Nov-2017, 18:33)jfp Wrote: I use my D400 with great Apertura Onira speakers for now but I am moving in a smaller place and have to sell the Apertura Sad
Have you listened the 400 with smaller speakers (library) with good results ?

I would look no further than the Dynaudio Contour 20. Very nice cabinet design, top notch finish, and incredible drivers. With the esotar 2 tweeter and a brand new midrange driver they sound absolutely wonderful. And they have been awarded speaker of the year. An alternative would be the Focal Diablo Utopia but this one is more expensive.

Do yourself a favour and go listen to these Dynaudios. They like some power so your 400 should be a great match! Let me know what you think.
Stino you are just exactly right as I had a look a couple of hours ago on the Dynaudio range ! I have read a great review on Excite 18 but it is not the same league as the Contour 20. I will search for reviews about it.
Thank you.
(09-Nov-2017, 20:11)jfp Wrote: Stino you are just exactly right as I had a look a couple of hours ago on the Dynaudio range ! I have read a great review on Excite 18 but it is not the same league as the Contour 20. I will search for reviews about it.
Thank you.

You may remember that Devialet itself assembled a system called "Ensemble" that featured the Atohm GT1. You might consider trying that one, especially as it is already SAM ready. 

I personally had great results with the Dynaudio Confidence C1, but I don't think of that as a small speaker, as it really needs to be on its dedicated stands placed well into the room.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
Hy jfp,

I use the Kudos Super10 with the D400 - and that sounds verry good   Big Grin
Although the kudos are certainly the bottleneck of the Setup, I see currently no „need“ to change the speakers.

But as flohmann wrote before - the Super10 benefits from good stands and a well fitting in the room...
Devialet 440pro CI - TAD CE-1
Antipodes K50
Bauer Audio DPS3 iT/v.d.H Colibri XGP LW
Germany
great for the Kudos that I have to explore.

First time I heard the 200 and 400 was with Athom GT1. ANd I preferred the Athom to the big B&W...

Do you know the xtz 100.33 ?
(09-Nov-2017, 20:11)jfp Wrote: Stino you are just exactly right as I had a look a couple of hours ago on the Dynaudio range ! I have read a great review on Excite 18 but it is not the same league as the Contour 20. I will search for reviews about it.
Thank you.

The contour is indeed a different league. It is even better than the confidence c1 which is one step higher up in the range of Dynaudio, as you will read in reviews.

It is true that the contour 20 is a large bookshelf speaker: you have to put it on a dedicated stand! For luck the stands of Dynaudio are beautiful and at a very reasonable price.

Your amplifier will be able to drive the speaker fine even though it has quite low sensitivity. The other speakers mentioned here in this thread seem to me a bit at the lower hi fi end for your amp. The contour, however, would give you a real high end hifi sound.
Well if appreciated your Onira, I would recommend auditioning the Kayla from AperturA.

Same philosophy and character as your current speakers.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
yes Jean-Marie but Kayla is 10.000 euros...

@Stino, what about the Dynaudio 160 ? is it far from the CONTOUR in terms of pure hifi rendering ?
(12-Nov-2017, 17:35)jfp Wrote: yes Jean-Marie but Kayla is 10.000 euros...

@Stino, what about the Dynaudio 160 ? is it far from the CONTOUR in terms of pure hifi rendering ?

I do not know the answer, sorry. The focus 160 is a bit of an "older" model (in fact, discontinued) of which I did not have the chance to listen to.

My guess would be that it is quite far from the Contour in terms of sound quality. The new drivers and cabinet design really make a big difference wrt older models.

If you are doubting about the Contour 20 (maybe due to its size or price tag) the Dynaudio Special Fourty may be something for you. A great looking speaker with a specially designed tweeter and midrange driver. The tweeter used in the Special Fourty is a modified version of the Esotar 2 tweeter, using a bit cheaper materials. I have no details on the midrange driver.

Both the Contour 20 and the Special Fourty where at an audio show this weekend in the Netherlands. And they both sound great. In my ears the Contour 20 has an edge (as it should since it also has a higher price tag) but I would be very happy as well with the Special 40. It is really amazing what can come out of such a small cabinet.

I can highly recommend both of these speakers. If you chose one over the other, whatever the choice, you will not regret it with the Devialet you have...