Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
That they appear to have used the same case (though different finish/materials) as the 250/800 for the 900 indicates to me that they might've made any new new boards the same size/shape and so could fit in the 120/200 cases too. What I'm trying to say is on the strength of the (little) evidence so far and if this is an indicator of the next-gen technology then it looks like the current models may be hardware-upgradeable? I'm hoping so.  I'm probably reading too much into it but I'd be surprised if they've produced new electronics for a limited-run product only.
Looking forward to hearing the improvements. At least we now know they haven't completely given up on expert. Just continued to ignoring the burning problems with the defected / incomplete software/apps.
rufus i think that you are right in your guess and there could be future upgrades available. well im hopeful anyway!

i dont think the extra power is a big deal but if they were able to make tweaks to the boards that makes it sound better maybe there can be something like a $$$ upgrade (not too expensive) where they take out the old hardware and put in the new ones. then they can use the old ones to make new ones (which is how production costs could stay low)
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Nice idea, a Linn style Renew programme to use the old boards would help pay for the upgrade nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
I'm perversely quite encouraged by this development even though, in my view, the logic of a 100 piece limited edition (for what is still quite a new product) could signal that sales are declining, at least in terms of the 800 offering.

The good news, to me, is that most of the premium for the limited edition (which is €29,900 compared to the 800 UK price of £18k - or €25k) must be substantiated by the casework and the limited production run. So the new boards must cost pretty much the same as the current ones. And if these new boards make material improvements in reliability or sound performance under certain conditions, then Devialet are hardly likely not to drip them down to the existing units - wholly for 800 users and at least partially for 250, 400, 200 and 120 users.

So I'd guess we will see retrofit options available, perhaps by the time of Munich 2016, which will keep Expert customers happy and Devialet profitable for that product range, even if their real efforts are focussed elsewhere.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Hopefully it's amazing enough to lure a few D800 owners here to upgrade - offering their existing machines to Devialetchat members at very reasonable prices Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hi guys

Devialet have been very kind to share some more info with me ahead of the official launch in the UK on 12/12. So here goes:

1) The new model is called "Original d'Atelier" followed by the issue number, for example 038/100... it is not a D900 as some have suggested (and I have therefore changed the title of the thread)

2) This is a limited edition, both amplifiers and remote are numbered and signed by Pierre-Emmanuel Calmel

3) Only 100 in total will be made

4) The units will ship in a wooden crate and will include cables made by AudioQuest: mains, coaxial and mini-jack

5) Power has been upped to 900Wrms into 6 Ohms, in dual mono mode, in stereo mode these amplifiers remain at 250Wrms. The online configurator will support this new product and will shortly go online.

6) The finish of the Original d'Atelier is totally unique and according to Devialet "absolutely magnificent" and has to be seen to be appreciated. It is quite different from the usual pink, white or yellow golds one sees at jewellers. It is a copper gold finish. The chassis remains in solid aluminium.

7) The move to 900Wrms is justified since according to Devialet "one can never have enough power in audio". This additional power is there to improve the music. Devialet have created a brand new class D amp which is much more efficient at converting energy. The contact surface between class D board and case has been doubled, this is how is it able to support higher energy levels without changing the case.

8) The class A amplifier has been tweaked but is essentially the same hardware. The same goes for the SMPS. 

9) A brand new much more powerful PEM has been fitted

10) The price in euros is 29,900

11) A reviewer in Hong Kong, the first to hear the Original d'Atelier, is reported to have been stupefied by the level of its performance... the Original d'Atelier is now his new hi-fi reference.

Here is a screenshot of the new display when the unit is in standby:

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(25-Nov-2015, 20:15)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi guys

....ahead of the official launch in the UK on 12/12. ....

Just in time for Christmas Guillaume ? Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(25-Nov-2015, 20:15)GuillaumeB Wrote: 4) The units will ship in a wooden crate and will include cables made by AudioQuest: mains, coaxial and mini-jack

Thanks for the info Guillaume!  The comment re Audioquest cables intrigued me.  I was told a few weeks ago that Devialet had done some tests using different mains cables and had found measurable improvements.  So maybe the selection of Audioquest mains cables is the result of truly scientific evaluation?  Controversial!

It is also interesting that they have elected not to use the AES/EBU option for the link. Possibly for the simple reason that Audioquest (like very many other cable manufacturers) don't make one?

Edit: I have just been looking at the prices of Audioquest mains cables, anything from £45 to £9225 (Nine grand!!!) So I wonder which ones are in the box?
I also wonder how much a retrofit of the PEM and new class D board would be? I might be wrong, but I'm sure these are not the most expensive part of the innards?