Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set subwoofer delay?
On my 120, I just updated my crossover settings to deal with a nasty room mode.  I see in the configurator an option to set delay on the sub output, but I can't find any guidance on how to set it.

My Genesis 928 sub sits right behind my left Revel M20 speaker, so there is no real difference in distance from the listening seat.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
When your sub is behind your speakers, the sound of your speakers will reach your ear earlier. For every meter this is 3 miliiseconds (difference between speed of sound and the speed of light/ divided by the traveling distance). So not your sub should be set to a delay, but your speakers should, compared to your sub. Quite simple in fact. And there is always a difference in distance, simple because your Genesis sub and your Revel speakers are never on the same place. Can't be. Measure the difference in cm en calculate the delay. Your ears are a very accurate measurement tool; you will hear it. I now by experience; see my config.
Good luck and enjoy!
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

peter dont forget - every subwoofer has a delay due to the internal circuitry. you might be able to email the manufacturer of your subwoofer to find out what the actual figure is.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
You can do it 2 ways , delay mains , delay subs
The delays are in the sub out and speaker parts of the le config.
Pity one cant mess with delay in real time..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I measured 58m from the center of my sub to the front of the woofer in my mains. I added 60ms delay (Dev won't allow 58) to my mains in the configurator. Listening now and will report back.

Thanks for the help. Israel
I think you need to check both your units and your delay calculation!

The delay in the Devialet configurator is measured in microseconds and ranges from 0 to 20,000 (= 0 to 20 ms), in multiples of 20 us.  Each 20 us of delay corresponds to a difference in distance of about 0.7 cm (by my maths).

Is there really 58 m between your sub and mains?  Are you listening in a field Smile?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I was trying to follow Peter' suggestion. The sub woofer is 58 cm, not meters (typo above), behind the left front speaker. What delay would you recommend to the mains?
Sorry, I hope I didn't sound too sarcastic.

The delay corresponding to 58 cm distance would be about 1700 microseconds.

(Calculated as: delay = distance (0.58 m) / speed of sound (~340 m/sec) = 0.0017 seconds = 1.7 milliseconds = 1700 microseconds.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks Thumb. Will give that a try. Much appreciate your help.
1700ms for the win. Nice gain in bass resolution and texture. Thanks all.