Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 120, subwoofer & a hdmi streamer
I have a current setup such as below:

All music stored in a synology NAS.
All videos accessed via Apple TV
Cable TV via HDMI
Xbox One and PS4

Wireless headphones (take rca or stereo minijack input) that have its own volume control. This is used for late night xbox gaming when the kids are asleep. 

A subwoofer

Bottom line is i require 
Ethernet streaming (for FLAC)
4 hdmi inputs
1 analog line level analog output (for headphone)
1 pre-amplified line level output (for subwoofer)

And for extra credit, i want single remote operation (gasp!).

I already have the above with my linn DSM (I have both a Majik DSM/0 and an Akurate DSM/0).

Now I want to experience a devialet with SAM (my speakers are measured) and all I can afford/justify spending for is a used 120 (without pre-cards).

Here is what I think will work (bear with me):
Use the Linn DSM as my hdmi switcher, headphone connection point, volume control and subwoofer connect point. this is already working.

phase 1: connect one of variable line out to a devialet 120 and use it as a single source power amp. this way my existing custom remote will work, the sub will work, speakers will work with sam. in this mode, the 120 is just a power amp.

phase 2: i can get a subwoofer/pre-analog board for the 120 and move the sub to the deviate (not sure if that works with SAM) and hook the devialet up to the linn DSM via digital input. this way i use the volume control of the devialet and use the lan port to stream music. i loose single remote convenience but what do i actually gain? the analog pre-amp in linn is very good so i am not sure.

am i crazy to attempt this. any advice is appreciated as this is not a cheap experiment! also am i better off just waiting a getting a 200 when i can afford it? does it get me anything beyond a 120 plus a pre-board? the main reason is the 2nd hand price of 200 only 10-15 off list price of a new one but used 120 is close to 40pc off the price of a new 120 (probably because many people upgrading from a 120 to 200 and many with 200 going to 2x200).