Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Filter Advice for a Dev 200 pls?
(17-Aug-2014, 21:42)Jwg1749 Wrote: I'm afraid I'm very sceptical about all of this. Kunter has his point of view, which is fine. My point of view is that none of this will make any audible difference.

The only thing I think might be a problem is that the Devialet's SMPS can inject noise back into your mains which might affect other equipment, though even this is unlikely.

As we say, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Matt

Hi Matt, myself and Rufus have measured the Devialet using an AudioPrism Noise Sniffer and it was literally off the chart.

This evidently contradicts a white paper they published a few years ago which stated that their SMPS was incredibly quiet. I don't remember the exact details off the top of my head but the Noise Sniffer thing did surprise me at the time.

Just putting it out there so to speak...Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(17-Aug-2014, 22:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(17-Aug-2014, 21:42)Jwg1749 Wrote: I'm afraid I'm very sceptical about all of this. Kunter has his point of view, which is fine. My point of view is that none of this will make any audible difference.

The only thing I think might be a problem is that the Devialet's SMPS can inject noise back into your mains which might affect other equipment, though even this is unlikely.

Matt

Hi Matt, myself and Rufus have measured the Devialet using an AudioPrism Noise Sniffer and it was literally off the chart.

This evidently contradicts a white paper they published a few years ago which stated that their SMPS was incredibly quiet. I don't remember the exact details off the top of my head but the Noise Sniffer thing did surprise me at the time.

Guillaume

Cheers, Guillaume, that confirms some other reports I've heard. How do you think this is best treated?
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(17-Aug-2014, 22:19)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(17-Aug-2014, 22:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Matt

Guillaume

Cheers, Guillaume, that confirms some other reports I've heard. How do you think this is best treated?
Matt

Well in my case I run separate spurs to each Devialet and my MiND 180. Couldn't tell you how much of a difference it makes but it makes me feel a lot better. Wink

Actually I'm being a little modest here... I used to have a dedicated ring main and ran my Devialets off that for a few months. Then I decided to go completely OTT and put in a dedicated CU and separate spurs (6mm T&E) with posh Furutech sockets. It felt like the most cost effective upgrade I ever did. Certainly cost a lot less than a typical audiophile upgrade/tweak!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I'm with Guillaume on this one and run separate spurs for each bit of equipment. I went nuts a while back and put in 4x 10mm2 spurs (with additional 10mm2 earth cables on top of the 4mm2 earth you get with ordinary mains 10mm2 cable). I was never happy with this - it lacked dynamics. After six months or so an experienced dealer told me 6mm2 was way superior, and I changed it. He was absolutely right. I kept the Devialet on a separate spur though due to the noise measurements from the Audio Prism. The question is - is this right? Many forum articles tell you to put everything on one spur and use a distribution box, perhaps with equidistant earth. This is almost becoming the norm. I've read articles from respected tune-dem folks saying that is more musical. Problem is every time I test this with the Devialet I end up preferring it well isolated from everything else, it's a tricky one...
Sorry for my ignorance guys, but I'm still not used to the technical speech.

What is a "spur" and a "dedicated CE" please?

btw ... OTT?
Ah sorry - spur is a single-cable circuit (i.e not a ring main which some people prefer) direct from the dedicated CU (consumer unit, aka fuse box in olden times). To be honest i've never fully seen the need for a dedicated consumer unit as it's all connected together to the domestic mains anyway but it makes things easier to manage and fiddle about with, and consumer units are cheap.
The main benefit seems to me to be isolation by distance - a hi-fi component say 10 metres away mains cable-wise from anything else is filtered by resistance from high-frequency noise elsewhere. I think, anyway.
Just came across the Plixir Balanced AC power conditioner that is being made by a Singapore company, Sound Affairs.

http://mysoundaffairs.com/products/power...nditioner/

http://mysoundaffairs.com/power-product-reviews/

There are very encouraging reports from 2 customers using D-Premiers, one running the Devialet with Sonus Faber Elipsa speakers. The products appear fairly priced too.

Not sure if there is CE certification though.

NB: No affiliation at all.
Talking about the spurs

I have a dedicated one near to the devialet that I may use. Problem is that is being used for all the informatic equipment, and that means a really big computer, some monitors and lots of small power transformers for the modems, computer speakers, keyboard, a printer, a TV, a blu-ray (the list continues Smile ). There are some remaining free sockets. but I presume that is not the best place to plug in the Devialet?

The next option would be a regular wall socket that is part of the normal house electric instalation.

So what do you think guys? I guess i really need a power conditioner like some of the models sugested in this thread?
Stay faaaaaar away from the computers...

For your 200, I would try PS Audio P5 or P10. When I was running single 250, P10 was a delight. Not a filter but a really good source of clean regenerated power.

As an alternative, get a very strong filter, plug everything else to it, and plug the D200 to the wall.

Cheers
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Would really love it Kunter but P5 and P10 are really expensive. even the P3 is out of my budget.