Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wish List
(30-May-2014, 00:27)ZincAlloy Wrote: 1.  UPnP streaming, now that we have an Ethernet port - no reason why it can't be done?
2.  An iOS control app, like ipeng, that allows me to control the Devialet and access my library from the same app.  Currently have to flip between ipeng and the Devialet iOS app to do this.
3.  Direct playback from USB HD - remove NAS, router and all the other stuff from playback chain that we need to manage.  
4.  DSD support - not that I've actually managed to find a DSD album that I want to buy, mind you!   But good for resale value, if nothing else.  
5. AIR for Linux NAS.

Appreciate that most of the above see mutually exclusive, but wanted to get them all down!

I'm sorry 1,2,3 are bad ideas.  Leave all the processing power of the Devialet for doing DSP and future more advanced DSPing.  Move those 1,2 and 3 features into the Dialog.  Put the Dialog right beside your router to hide the extra box away.

I really think any DSD implementation would just end up as a conversion to the internal PCM format for DSP processing anyway, so what's the point?  Just have one of the many capable software programs decode DSD and send it PCM to the Devialet. Having the Devialet capable of talking DSD from beginning to the end would be a major rewrite.

5 would be a nice addition for the many NAS owners out there.

Personally, I'd like to see HDCD decoding added along with a more advanced EQ functionality.  Sound quality improvements are alway welcome as well.
(19-Jan-2015, 21:02)Dr Tone Wrote: I really think any DSD implementation would just end up as a conversion to the internal PCM format for DSP processing anyway, so what's the point?  Just have one of the many capable software programs decode DSD and send it PCM to the Devialet.  Having the Devialet capable of talking DSD from beginning to the end would be a major rewrite.

Devialet could offer true native DSD 1x and 2x functionality over USB and 1x DSD over SPDIF (AES/EBU, RCA Coax and TosLink),
by reprograming the Xilinx gate-array for pure DSD, just like Aesthetix does in their Signature Romulus and Pandora DACs.
(19-Jan-2015, 21:40)mauidan Wrote:
(19-Jan-2015, 21:02)Dr Tone Wrote: I really think any DSD implementation would just end up as a conversion to the internal PCM format for DSP processing anyway, so what's the point?  Just have one of the many capable software programs decode DSD and send it PCM to the Devialet.  Having the Devialet capable of talking DSD from beginning to the end would be a major rewrite.

Devialet could offer true native DSD 1x and 2x functionality over USB and 1x DSD over SPDIF (AES/EBU, RCA Coax and TosLink),
by reprograming the Xilinx gate-array for pure DSD, just like Aesthetix does in their Signature Romulus and Pandora DACs.

But don't they then have to go back to PCM for their whole DSP engine?
(19-Jan-2015, 21:02)Dr Tone Wrote:
(30-May-2014, 00:27)ZincAlloy Wrote: 1.  UPnP streaming, now that we have an Ethernet port - no reason why it can't be done?
2.  An iOS control app, like ipeng, that allows me to control the Devialet and access my library from the same app.  Currently have to flip between ipeng and the Devialet iOS app to do this.
3.  Direct playback from USB HD - remove NAS, router and all the other stuff from playback chain that we need to manage.  
4.  DSD support - not that I've actually managed to find a DSD album that I want to buy, mind you!   But good for resale value, if nothing else.  
5. AIR for Linux NAS.

Appreciate that most of the above see mutually exclusive, but wanted to get them all down!

I'm sorry 1,2,3 are bad ideas.  Leave all the processing power of the Devialet for doing DSP and future more advanced DSPing.  Move those 1,2 and 3 features into the Dialog.  Put the Dialog right beside your router to hide the extra box away.

I really think any DSD implementation would just end up as a conversion to the internal PCM format for DSP processing anyway, so what's the point?  Just have one of the many capable software programs decode DSD and send it PCM to the Devialet.  Having the Devialet capable of talking DSD from beginning to the end would be a major rewrite.

5 would be a nice addition for the many NAS owners out there.

Personally, I'd like to see HDCD decoding added along with a more advanced EQ functionality.  Sound quality improvements are alway welcome as well.

Hi - I wrote this when Dialog wasn't even a twinkle in Devialet's eye .... Looks like Dialog and Spark will provide 1 and 2, so I'm happy they listened!  
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(19-Jan-2015, 21:44)ZincAlloy Wrote: Hi - I wrote this when Dialog wasn't even a twinkle in Devialet's eye .... Looks like Dialog and Spark will provide 1 and 2, so I'm happy they listened!

Yes, I see I ignored the dates.  My bad.
I want a new firmware! With DSD. And I want better IOS app with SAM on of button...
I want the moon on a stick !!!!

And I want it now !!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(21-Jan-2015, 00:33)NickB Wrote: I want the moon on a stick !!!!

And I want it now !!!!

Bonus marks for the Fist of Fun reference Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Didn't you know the Devialet didn't decode DSD when you bought it?

Like the people who knew the Devialet did not use UPnP, bought one anyway, or knew that Air worked with a Mac and iTunes, bought one then wanted PC and other SW compatibility to be added.

It may well be that salespeople were making suggestions that could be feasible in a practical timescale.

It is entirely possible all the Air and other firmware problems stem from this.
IMHO
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(21-Jan-2015, 13:04)geoff Wrote:
(19-Jan-2015, 21:44)ZincAlloy Wrote:
(19-Jan-2015, 21:02)Dr Tone Wrote:
5. AIR for Linux NAS.

"I really think any DSD implementation would just end up as a conversion to the internal PCM format for DSP processing anyway, so what's the point?  Just have one of the many capable software programs decode DSD and send it PCM to the Devialet.  Having the Devialet capable of talking DSD from beginning to the end would be a major rewrite."
Likely yes, but guessing you don't have large DSD collection you'd like to use with Devialet. Some of us do and converting DSD discs with PS3 to DSF files was arduous and we'd like it to have been worth our time. I'm all in with Devialet spitting out new product after new product, although I hope they don't put off DSD implementation for too much longer regardless whether it's native or DoP. BTW. Just how many HDCD recordings do most Devialet users own? I had over 1500 discs and of those, only a couple dozen at most had HDCD encoding. I do remember Joni Mitchell's catalog had a few of them.
I own a few hundred HDCDs, zero DSD.  If I had DSD files I would just use J River to convert them to PCM on the fly.  I'd have to switch to Foobar to do the same with HDCDs and lose the advanced cataloging and awesome remote control of J River.

PS) HDCD encoded disks are still being released, depending on the studio and the use of the Pacific Microsonics A/D converter was involved.

I know, I know converting DSD to PCM is sacrilege, but the Devialet would do it internally anyway for it's DSP processing so what is the difference feeding it DSD and it converting to PCM or you converting to PCM prior?  I don't see them ever implementing a true DSD front to back solution, it's a complete rewrite of everything they have done to date.