Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System based around 120
(23-Dec-2015, 08:23)Pim van Vliet Wrote: And try the Technics SB C700 too. Looks like an LS50 wannabe but according to Stereophile it's 'better'.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/techn...8DTjEGb.97

I must say I found the above link fascinating.  Why?  A while back I read this in "What hifi".

http://www.whathifi.com/technics/sb-c700/review

The reviews couldn't be more different!  Having said that, there have been a few times I've read reviews in What hifi, but when I hear the actual kit for myself I got a completely different impression, both for the better and the worse.  This actually happened to me after some headphone testing recently, the ones I thought were really good for the money got a 3 star review in What hifi.  It goes back to the age old adage, reviews are great for getting ideas and maybe shortlisting, but you do need to listen for yourself.  I must admit I'd love to hear a pair of these Technics now, just out of curiosity!
Pim van Vliet, thanks for the thoughts, interesting. I'll arrange for an audition.
Boenicke, Mola Mola, Hi Diamond, fidata, Lumin, AQVOX, SteinMusic, Bybee, toetapaudio
hk6230, LS50 impressed when I heard them but have not had the opportunity yet to compare with other candidates. Did you manage to audition them against other loudspeakers?
Boenicke, Mola Mola, Hi Diamond, fidata, Lumin, AQVOX, SteinMusic, Bybee, toetapaudio
Well, I have a very small listening room (2m x 5.5m) so I believe my LS50 is perfect size and sounding for my environment. And I put them on speaker stands.

And no, I have not had any chance to listen to other speakers.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I have now had the opportunity of a comparison between the Atohm GT1 and the KEF LS50's powered by Devialet 120 and 200 amps. Playing the same music, composed of mainly live jazz/blues, some pop and classical, the KEF's to me were a clear winner, which surprised me how much better they were IMO. We could hear that the resolution of sounds was better (more information), bass was more controlled and sound stage more realistic.

So a clear winner in my opinion, but I wonder how they compare with the Technics, Sonus Faber Cremona's (stand mounts) and Dyna Audio's?

I am now thinking of spending the extra on the 200. Music was just a bit clearer, smoother and resolved I thought.

Source was a Krell CD and Aurender music server.
Spending the extra on the 200 is definitely a good decision in my view. Especially with monitor speakers and their low sensitivity the extra power can give you just that little bit of extra oomph in the lows. Dynaudios certainly like a bit of extra power.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I agree with Pim. Plus, the 200 offers a future upgrade path to a D400, and we all get upgradeitis from time to time. With 200 companions getting cheaper all the time, it's nice to have this as a possible future option.
A Devialet 200 drove my KEF LS50 better than any other amp I've heard (Krell, Parasound, NAD, and others), but I didn't hear other Devialet amps.

As for the KEF LS50 vs. Technics SB-C700 I haven't heard both but a consensus of those who have is forming. My read is that the Technics is clearer than the LS50 but also harsher and lacking many of the qualities that made the LS50 such a universal hit.

The most positive comparison I've seen is from Herb Reichert at Stereophile as quoted previously in this thread.

Steve Guttenberg at http://www.cnet.com/news/killer-curves-t...-speakers/ wrote:
"My long-term reference small speaker, the KEF LS50, presents a fuller, sweeter and softer sound balance; the SB-C700 is "faster" and clearer. Bass definition is firmer, treble is more distinct, there's more sparkle. The LS50 shrinks the music's dynamic contrasts; it's a less lively-sounding speaker. I still love the LS50 for its romantic glow, but the SB-C700 wins for sheer transparency and impact. Rosanne Cash's vocal and guitar on her "10 Song Demo" CD sounded a touch more naturally sweet over the LS50, but the SB-C700 wasn't far off the mark."

There are as many negative reviews with not much good to say about the Technics vs. the LS50:
http://www.raqwe.com/speaker-technics-sb-c700-review/
http://www.whathifi.com/technics/sb-c700/review

So I'm very interested to hear more from people who've heard both. The LS50 garnered nearly-universal praise from a huge number of people. We'll see how the Technics does.
Thanks everyone for your input so far.

After reading through this very constructive forum and some linked reviews this is now my speaker shortlist:

Raidho X1, C1.1, KEF LS50, Ref 1, Scansonic MB2.5, Rockport stand mount.

What do you think?

Cheers
(28-Dec-2015, 18:09)Robert Wrote: Thanks everyone for your input so far.

After reading  through this very constructive forum and some linked reviews this is now my speaker shortlist:

Raidho X1, C1.1, KEF LS50, Ref 1, Scansonic MB2.5, Rockport stand mount.

What do you think?

Cheers

I would just go 120 (Best upgrade vaule as of today announcement) and LS50 and call it day.  I love those speakers. Ive owned Mcintosh xr50 then 100, LS50's, Harbeth 30.1, SF Olympica 1, now Raidho D1, all in the last 4 yrs.  The LS50's left my satified at least equally if not more and all those speakers, perhaps taking somewhat into account cost but not much... The C1.1 would be interesting but owning the D1 currently I have to say immediately the sense of satisfaction was really comparable with the KEF's, really sitting w/ them Raidhos reveal a whole different control and depth to the music but in term of dynamics the UniQ was no slouch.  I also auditioned the REF 1 and to my ears they weren't that far off for the LS50's... I use to wonder why owners of 4-6k Devialets chose a 1-1.5k speaker to pair it with. After having owned all these speaker I have to say I get it. I think the synergy and SAM from what is sounds, adds another level of benefit from the pairing. Hope this helps.
Full disclosure I ran most of these with Mcintosh gear then ARC VSi60.  The Dev D200 arrive in the mail this week...Im just on this site in preparation...

Sam
Sam

Raidho D1/ Devialet D200
microRendu/ sonicTransporter/ ROON
Audience AU24e Speaker Cable
Cardas USB Cable
Transparent Powerlink Power Cable
Audience AR1P Conditioner

System 2
Meridian F80
Chromcast Audio (w/ Native TIDAL and DS Audio)
MIT Optical Cable