Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Speaker Cables
(19-Jun-2014, 22:50)dannyBCN Wrote:
(19-Jun-2014, 19:32)Flashman Wrote: Just bought some Viard Audio Design (French) Silver HD20 speaker cables for my Devialet 200. They are a huge upgrade from a rather inexpensive pair of cables I had been using. I have also ordered the Viard Silver HD20 power cable. We'll see how that does in the mix. I am amazed that with my Devialet, Atohm GT1 Devialet "special edition" speakers and cables, I have an all-French system (excluding my Brit speaker stands). Never thought that would happen! Since I am American expat living in France, I can blame it all on the daily trek by a French audio store. I kept seeing what I thought was a mirror on the wall in the store until one day I realized it was... a Devialet. Heart

I was considering trying Viard in my new system. I decided to get Audience Au24SE to try for some months and they're so far excellent. Still interested though in the Viard, so looking forward to more of your impressions as they settle in.

I have heard very good things about the Audience cables. Congrats! I purchased the Viard cables from another Devialet owner who was moving up to Crystal cables, so the the Viard cables are already broken in! I had some rather inexpensive cables in place before and the upgrade is enormous. But I really don't have a way of comparing with other high-quality cables. For now, I am happy.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(20-Jun-2014, 04:58)Flashman Wrote:
(19-Jun-2014, 19:32)Flashman Wrote: Just bought some Viard Audio Design (French) Silver HD20 speaker cables for my Devialet 200. They are a huge upgrade from a rather inexpensive pair of cables I had been using. I have also ordered the Viard Silver HD20 power cable. We'll see how that does in the mix. I am amazed that with my Devialet, Atohm GT1 Devialet "special edition" speakers and cables, I have an all-French system (excluding my Brit speaker stands). Never thought that would happen! Since I am American expat living in France, I can blame it all on the daily trek by a French audio store. I kept seeing what I thought was a mirror on the wall in the store until one day I realized it was... a Devialet. Heart

I was considering trying Viard in my new system. I decided to get Audience Au24SE to try for some months and they're so far excellent. Still interested though in the Viard, so looking forward to more of your impressions as they settle in.

I have heard very good things about the Audience cables. Congrats! I purchased the Viard cables from another Devialet owner who was moving up to Crystal cables, so the the Viard cables are already broken in! I had some rather inexpensive cables in place before and the upgrade is enormous. But I really don't have a way of comparing with other high-quality cables. For now, I am happy.

I also had some pretty basic cables at first and, as I wrote in another post, couldn't hear much of what other people into high end were talking about. Then I tried JPS Labs Superconductor V and high end was finally revealed. Yesterday, I was thinking how some really familiar music was sounding more fantastic than ever, then I remembered I switched in the Audience cables a month ago.
(20-Jun-2014, 16:20)dannyBCN Wrote:

I also had some pretty basic cables at first and, as I wrote in another post, couldn't hear much of what other people into high end were talking about. Then I tried JPS Labs Superconductor V and high end was finally revealed. Yesterday, I was thinking how some really familiar music was sounding more fantastic than ever, then I remembered I switched in the Audience cables a month ago.

I might try the Audience cables down the road. My wife doesn't like the thick nature of the Viard cables (hosepipes!) so I think I will look at alternatives. But later!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(20-Jun-2014, 16:43)Flashman Wrote:

I might try the Audience cables down the road. My wife doesn't like the thick nature of the Viard cables (hosepipes!) so I think I will look at alternatives. But later!

There's always Crystal Cables... Wink

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(20-Jun-2014, 16:50)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-Jun-2014, 16:43)Flashman Wrote:
(19-Jun-2014, 22:50)dannyBCN Wrote: I was considering trying Viard in my new system. I decided to get Audience Au24SE to try for some months and they're so far excellent. Still interested though in the Viard, so looking forward to more of your impressions as they settle in.

There's always Crystal Cables... Wink

Guillaume

The gent who sold me the Viard cables bought Cyrstal Cables and is very happy! I will wait, though, before making a decision on the next set of cables. I am in France but will move back to the U.S. next year and perhaps there are Audience or Cyrstal cables in my future!
Crystal Cables are on my short list to try, but, like Flashman, later. Audience cables are just as thin, but not nearly as handsome. They sound so good though that it may not be worth the bother to test more widely this time. Might just move on and focus on power cord, then tweaks, such as the Entreq grounding that sounds so effective from all the comments.
I tried different speaker cables over time in my set up (D250 + Wilson Sophia3). The best one I have found is the Sablon Panatela which I am now using as my reference cables. Previously had used Transparent the wave and Nanotec Special/SR. The Nanotec comes first in terms of value for money. the Panatela keeps the Nanotec's SQ in terms of tonality, transparency, transients ... but adds a fuller bass, slightly larger soundstage and more sheer musicality. Mark at Sablon Audio has a good trial program in place, try them in your system for a couple of weeks and see what you think.

In terms of when to do what, my suggestion is to start with the amp, speakers (and their placement) and room optimization first. Then, particularly with the Devialet, upgrade the power cable and add some good support (Sablon Gran Corona works great + 3 Franc audio ceramics discs). Once I did this I felt like I had changed amp! Only then, I started trying out different speakers (and digital) cables. Hope this is helpful.
Very curious about the Sablons. I have never seen or heard them. I have an 800 with Wilson Sasha 2 (arriving first week of July). Your experience with Wilson, Dev and Sablon is encouraging. I have been considering MIT for my system at a higher price but would prefer not to go there. I will drop Mark a line and give them a try.

Adam

(21-Jun-2014, 14:40)GTX Wrote: I tried different speaker cables over time in my set up (D250 + Wilson Sophia3). The best one I have found is the Sablon Panatela which I am now using as my reference cables. Previously had used Transparent the wave and Nanotec Special/SR. The Nanotec comes first in terms of value for money. the Panatela keeps the Nanotec's SQ in terms of tonality, transparency, transients ... but adds a fuller bass, slightly larger soundstage and more sheer musicality. Mark at Sablon Audio has a good trial program in place, try them in your system for a couple of weeks and see what you think.

In terms of when to do what, my suggestion is to start with the amp, speakers (and their placement) and room optimization first. Then, particularly with the Devialet, upgrade the power cable and add some good support (Sablon Gran Corona works great + 3 Franc audio ceramics discs). Once I did this I felt like I had changed amp! Only then, I started trying out different speakers (and digital) cables. Hope this is helpful.
(21-Jun-2014, 14:40)GTX Wrote: I tried different speaker cables over time in my set up (D250 + Wilson Sophia3). The best one I have found is the Sablon Panatela which I am now using as my reference cables. Previously had used Transparent the wave and Nanotec Special/SR. The Nanotec comes first in terms of value for money. the Panatela keeps the Nanotec's SQ in terms of tonality, transparency, transients ... but adds a fuller bass, slightly larger soundstage and more sheer musicality. Mark at Sablon Audio has a good trial program in place, try them in your system for a couple of weeks and see what you think.

This is very helpful, and thanks! You and others have raved enough about the Sablon that I'd like to give them a try, particularly the power cord. So far, I'm following your suggestion: amp upgraded (D-P to 240/50) and now awaiting arrival of new speakers. I was thinking though that I might get the cables and some tweaks settled before tackling room optimization because I have no experience with it and there's going to be a learning curve. Luckily, my room sounds quite good as is, and a dealer agreed but also suggested it can be improved. I definitely see how it can be improved.
I did try a couple of Sablon digital cables recently between my MiND 180 and Devialet and they were ridiculously good. The AES in particular (seems to be the optimal one for both devices) was superb and was a total match for my TA Ref XL in my opinion. I'd like to try Sablon speaker cables. I preferred the Petit Corona power cord with my D200 to the more expensive ones, though a lot of it is dependent on what kind of sockets etc. you have.