Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Speakers
(01-Jan-2016, 21:24)samurai7595 Wrote:
(01-Jan-2016, 20:45)Robert Wrote: Hi Samurai, have you had an opportunity of comparing them with other ribbon L/S's like Raidho or Scansonic?

Myself no but a good friend of mine who owns the ProAc Response D40R (now replaced by the D48R) did and said that he found the ProAc version to be very natural, not bright sounding, non-fatiguing with excellent integration.

Interesting, thanks. I'll add the ProAC D30R and D48R to my list of speakers to audition. My present preference is for the SF Olympica's.
Boenicke, Mola Mola, Hi Diamond, fidata, Lumin, AQVOX, SteinMusic, Bybee, toetapaudio
I am a big fan of both Proac and Sonus Faber. The Sonus Faber speakers are beautifully styled and sound good. I had SF Extremas (using Spectral electronics) in an earlier system.
I actually still use an ancient pair of Proac Studio EBS speakers in my study!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Anyone using Legacy Audio Focus's or Signatures's? Opinion/comparisons? Thanks.
Boenicke, Mola Mola, Hi Diamond, fidata, Lumin, AQVOX, SteinMusic, Bybee, toetapaudio
(02-Jan-2016, 20:15)Robert Wrote: Anyone using Legacy Audio Focus's or Signatures's? Opinion/comparisons? Thanks.

I have Focus SEs and they are a great match foe the D200s and I going to D400s would make them sing even better. The Signature's are very similar just not as good. The folks at Legacy are very proud of the Focus and I am very happy with them.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(02-Jan-2016, 23:38)rwjr44 Wrote:
(02-Jan-2016, 20:15)Robert Wrote: Anyone using Legacy Audio Focus's or Signatures's? Opinion/comparisons? Thanks.

I have Focus SEs and they are a great match foe the D200s and I going to D400s would make them sing even better. The Signature's are very similar just not as good. The folks at Legacy are very proud of the Focus and I am very happy with them.

Hi, rwjr thanks for the reply. Can you describe what you like about them please. What comparisons have you made?
Getting a demo on Thursday of

SF Olympica 2
Scansonic MB6
Usher Mini Dancer 2

Out of the three speakers only the SFs are SAM ready.

How much should this influence my decision.

Other option is the PMC 26, but will have to demo this some other time
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(04-Jan-2016, 14:50)Womaz Wrote: Getting a demo on Thursday of

SF Olympica 2
Scansonic MB6
Usher Mini Dancer 2

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I demo'd the SF OII in December, but as we were looking at a few different speakers, there wasn't time to do SAM configs at the dealers.  They had good bass punch and a nice sound, quite different to the PMCs to my ears.  Too big physically for me though, and needed more space around them than the Facts.  I was told the OIII has more bass, but then those are bigger still.  Beautifully made and lovely looking - I couldn't help but think a lot of the money must surely go into the 'box', but compared to a lot of speaker designs out there, thats probably not such a bad thing.

Compared to Wilson Audio Sabrina (waaaay out of my price bracket but loved the look and wanted to listen - wasnt actually that overwhelmed - was told that they really need 'meatier' amps than a D200), and Martin Logan Ethos - a wildcard that I was strangely attracted to (not looks-wise, they're really ugly IMO). I'm still looking, but just not found the enthusiasm yet to re-ignite the search.  

I would personally try for SAM ready just because its a feature you'd be missing out on, but if you find a sound you love and without SAM, it kind of becomes immaterial?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(04-Jan-2016, 18:12)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(04-Jan-2016, 14:50)Womaz Wrote: Getting a demo on Thursday of

SF Olympica 2
Scansonic MB6
Usher Mini Dancer 2

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I demo'd the SF OII in December, but as we were looking at a few different speakers, there wasn't time to do SAM configs at the dealers.  They had good bass punch and a nice sound, quite different to the PMCs to my ears.  Too big physically for me though, and needed more space around them than the Facts.  I was told the OIII has more bass, but then those are bigger still.  Beautifully made and lovely looking - I couldn't help but think a lot of the money must surely go into the 'box', but compared to a lot of speaker designs out there, thats probably not such a bad thing.

Compared to Wilson Audio Sabrina (waaaay out of my price bracket but loved the look and wanted to listen - wasnt actually that overwhelmed - was told that they really need 'meatier' amps than a D200), and Martin Logan Ethos - a wildcard that I was strangely attracted to (not looks-wise, they're really ugly IMO). I'm still looking, but just not found the enthusiasm yet to re-ignite the search.  

I would personally try for SAM ready just because its a feature you'd be missing out on, but if you find a sound you love and without SAM, it kind of becomes immaterial?

I think that could be the problem that they need more space around them. For all of the speakers I mean. The shop demo i dont expect to tell me a great deal as it is set up very differently yo my room at home. It will give me an initial impression though as I have never heard either the Scansonic or The SF brand.
I expect them both to sound different to my PMCs , I just hope in a good way.
What i am really looking for is a sweeter treble with no loss of detail.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Just to add the lack of SAM does put me off the other two models, I guess I will be doing the demo with no SAM on the SFs too.

What exactly does SAM do? I have looked on the Devialet website but could not find an explanation
If you want to bore yourself silly, there's this:
http://en.devialet.com/assets/blog/Stere...ion-EN.pdf

Someone else can probably give a one-liner summary far more eloquently than me so I won't try as I still haven't 100% convinced myself I understand it.

I often turn it off, to me SAM is pros and cons, but its nice to have the option.  Well, actually, sometimes I wonder if not having so many options might be a good thing, maybe no SAM is just one less feature to get paranoid about!

I think dealers and manufacturers always say speakers need ideal placement, but those of us that have stereos in our lounges just have to make do and it is what it is.  I'd ignore all that if you like them and just get a home demo, put them where they can go and see how they sound - it might just be perfect in your space you just never know.  I never got to the home demo so my comments about space were just what I'd been told/read.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<