Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signal quality of Mono Sub output
Well I've had some time to listen yesterday but I didn't hear/notice/recognize any differences in sound quality using the two sub interlinks and the D250 configured with a stereo pre-out vs. the mono setup. I think I will return the cable to the shop and switch back to mono.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
That's intersting. So maybe the B&W DB1 is doing a better job in creating the mono signal. I will also do some measurements in the next days.
So the tentative conclusion is that the only difference in sound quality is due to the 6 dB higher power output when the sub is fed with a stereo signal? From a purely engineering point of view that sounds like the "right" (hoped for) answer.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Aug-2014, 21:09)Vivialet Wrote: That's intersting. So maybe the B&W DB1 is doing a better job in creating the mono signal. I will also do some measurements in the next days.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean but like thumb5 wrote, also in my opinion it's purely the 6dB higher power output that you hear when you use a stereo pre-out. The signals are/seem to be, apart of the "loudness" fully identical. In other words, whether I use a mono or a stereo pre-out the signals are identical, the stereo output signal is merely 6dB's louder. edit: did you see my last post on the previous page?

(31-Aug-2014, 21:10)thumb5 Wrote: So the tentative conclusion is that the only difference in sound quality is due to the 6 dB higher power output when the sub is fed with a stereo signal? From a purely engineering point of view that sounds like the "right" (hoped for) answer.

I agree with this/this is indeed my conclusion.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(31-Aug-2014, 21:09)Vivialet Wrote: I will also do some measurements in the next days.

Did you? And if so what are your findings?

The Netherlands
It's awfully quiet here...did Vivialet and or Beerman test anything yet or heard back of Devialet?

The Netherlands
Hi Antoine,

I hoped some other users of subwoofers would post their findings.
I for myself made no measurements, but I find it clearly audible, that there is a difference. Not in terms of "loudness" but in terms of quality, advantage for stereo output, to say it again. Maybe room interaction possible?
I did not contact Devialet in this case, either.
But I will change back again to the mono configuration and listen again.
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
Hi Beerman, thanks for your response. It was indeed Vivialet who wrote that he would make some measurements and was already in contact with Devialet regarding this issue that I can't seem to replicate in measurements or hear. I don't really believe my hardware or "ears" are not up to the task, for this the described differences you guys wrote about are too big. I'd really like to see one of you compare the difference after some form of level balancing, be it with measuring equipment/software or a simple test tones CD and dB meter. And of course I can't force you to anything or expect you to do anything you don't want to do but Vivialet did bring the 'issue' up himself on this public forum, so -some- feedback would be nice. Wink (I even went out to buy a second 110 euro sub interlink cable to test for the issue. My own choice to do this of course! Smile)

The Netherlands