Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Case ....
Hi guys.

something weird, happened. today.

I have the Dev 200 phono stage configured for and Apheta capsule, with the recommended values (MC, 100 ohm, 500 mV, 0pF). I was tweaking with some parameter in the configurator, and forgot to insert the SD card back on the amplifier, that reverted the Phono stage settings to the factory predefined values.

When I turned it on, and played a record, It sounded much better to my ears. I usually play at -10db volume, now I have to play at +10db, much more background noise now, but the overall experience is an improvement. I guess the default configuration is for an MM cartridge.

I have reverted everything to it's SD configured state, as i fear to damage something, but can't understand why on default, it sounds better.

Any clues guys?

Many thanks.
Two things worth trying IMO.
First try looking at the level display whilst playing a favourite record to make sure the input is not clipping (I would not expect this from the settings though)
Try configuring the load as high, rather than 100 ohm, leaving everything else as your first Apheta configuration, (MC, high, 500 microvolt, 0pf) maybe you just prefer the loading. It will effect the top couple of octaves quite a bit.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Many thanks Fleng, btw as I'm foreigner I dont know what is "clipping" could you explain pls?. will make the modifications and let you know Wink
(26-Aug-2014, 22:17)Krorghar Wrote: Many thanks Fleng, btw as I'm foreigner I dont know what is "clipping" could you explain pls?. will make the modifications and let you know Wink

Hi clipping is where the input gain (i.e. amplification) is too great and the level reaches 0dB this sounds bad, worse in digital systems than analogue.
If you look at the level meters in the information screen they should rarely show red, for good sound quality, and never go up to the 0dBmark.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Yup thanks fleng, have noticed it, my lvs are usually at -60 to -40 using apheta factory recommended settings. need to check your sugested ajustments when i have some time, and see how they work, the lower these lvs the better?
(27-Aug-2014, 21:13)Krorghar Wrote: Yup thanks fleng, have noticed it, my lvs are usually at -60 to -40 using apheta factory recommended settings. need to check your sugested ajustments when i have some time, and see how they work, the lower these lvs the better?

The best level is the highest that doesn't cause overload. I would recommend adjusting the input voltage sensitivity to get about -10dB on the peaks of your loudest LP, though with a 24 bit dynamic range you have vastly more headroom than could ever be recorded on an LP.
Oxfordshire